Print score to PDF.. how?

cinningbao

Hi,

I'm trying to export a score to PDF, and all the instructions I can find say "make sure score window is selected, press cmd-p to open print dialog, select PDF and kablammo! all done" but my print dialog looks like this

1698870422_ScreenShot2018-04-22at15_45_34.jpg.27c9ebf030e20f65aa529f55fcf423eb.jpg

and there is no PDF button!

The print dialog in, say Firefox, _does_ have the PDF button so I can't figure out why it isn't in logic and how I get it back.. any ideas?

Cheers :)

I didn't get the Print window with the PDF option until after I clicked Print at the bottom of the Page Setup which initially opened when I selected Print (command P) from the Logic File menu. Since then the Print page opens directly with command P.

That's normal. If the system doesn't have a specific printer allocated to the print function, the PDF options won't appear. It's a little wonky that way...

FWIW, the camera tool is OK for taking a screenshot of a selected area of a score, but then again that's not a whole lot different from taking an actual screenshot.

The secret to getting this to work -- as mentioned -- is to select a printer first if Logic hasn't already selected one for you. Then the PDF options will appear. BTW, "Any Printer" isn't a valid selection for getting those options to show up.

The reason for needing to have a printer selected first is because either the OS or Logic (hard to tell which) needs to see the specifics of a printer's printable area settings as a basis for the printable area of a PDF. There can be minor variations in these settings from one printer to the next; but once the system has those specifics, it can then offer the PDF options.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your replies guys. I still wasn't able to bring up the Print window; if I go to File -> Print or press Cmd+P it just shows me the Page Setup window..

I ended up Cmd+shift+4-ing each page and pasting to a Pages document.

Having now looked at Trevor T's and ski's suggestion, selecting the Kodak printer (even though it isn't turned on) and hitting OK did indeed take me to the Print window where I could select "Save to PDF" and export my score!

Cheers guys! :)

Here's a free virtual PDF printer driver: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/

It works pretty good. It basically uses the same underlying PDF generation software that is used when you use the save-to-PDF menu.

Some other advantages of this over using the PDF menu that is standard:

1. you don't have to manually pull up the PDF menu or choose a file or anything. Just hit command-P and return and the PDF will be saved in a default location
  2. you can batch print a bunch of files to PDF from the finder this way
  3. since its a virtual printer, you can setup some printer preference presets if you like, as you can for normal printers.

Edited by Dewdman42

Having now looked at Trevor T's and ski's suggestion, selecting the Kodak printer (even though it isn't turned on) and hitting OK did indeed take me to the Print window where I could select "Save to PDF" and export my score!

To summarize:

• Open the Print Dialog (CMD+P)

• If you don't see the PDF options, select a printer. Then the PDF options will appear in the lower left-hand corner of the Print Dialog.

That's all there is to it. :mrgreen:

(If you don't have a printer, add any generic printer driver to your system, or, use Dewdman's suggestion).