Key of C major actually playing/sounding as Eb major - Please help!

Mountain Du
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I just finished the first lesson in David Nahmani's book Logic Pro X 10.4 and started the second lesson. When I went to solo over the output of lesson one, I noticed that it was in the key of Eb major instead of the key of C major. The key of my project is set to C major. When I import Apple loops, I have it set to import the loops in the key of the project. When I add loops to the project, it does change the original key of the loop (regardless of what key the initial loop was in); however, instead of changing it to C major (the key the project is set to) it is heard as Eb major. For some reason, Logic Pro X is playing/sounding the key of C maj as Eb major. If I transpose the loops and lower them by 3 half steps, they then play in the key of C maj as the project indicates.

I also noticed when I load the "Let's Dance" lesson file from the book's website (for Lesson 2) into Logic Pro X and not the one I created, it also plays or is heard as Eb major. Even though the top bar indicates that the project is in C major.

Not sure if it matters, but I use a Novation Impulse 49 MIDI keyboard with the Automap software and an Audient iD14 interface with Logic Pro X. Just mentioning this in case the installation of these devices may have impacted the key of the software in some way.

I'm new to all of this and would appreciate any support that can be provided. Thanks in advance! So far, l'm loving working through David's book!!!

• Solution
I just finished the first lesson in David Nahmani's book Logic Pro X 10.4 and started the second lesson. When I went to solo over the output of lesson one, I noticed that it was in the key of Eb major instead of the key of C major.

The actual (heard) key of the project should be C minor, the displayed key in the LCD display being C major. Are you sure what you're hearing is not E major? That's the relative major of B minor, which is the key of the first loop you import, "Skyline Bass". Did you choose to use that key upon importing the loop? You can open the Signature List area (on the right) to verify the current key of your project.

signature-list.png.db2706044649cc924297d3a0ebd208ab.png

David! Thank you for the quick reply and help!!! I'm happy to hear that the key of the project is in Cm. I just made this connection the other day. I was hearing the project in the key of E "flat" major - Cm is the relative minor of Eb major which makes sense. I didn't know that the loops chosen for the project were minor loops.

I came to the realization that Logic Pro doesn't make it obvious if a loop is in a major or minor key. The only way I found to determine this is by using the drop-down menu in the loops browser and sorting for one or the other. Logic transposes minor keys into minor keys and major keys into major keys. I now understand why the loop was transposed to Cm even though C major was selected as the key to my project - because the original loop was in a minor key. My project was in C major and therefore the original minor loop was transposed to Cm. It might be worth noting the expected key of the project in lesson 2 during the guitar solo part (with maybe a short explanation) in a future edition of the book? Maybe it's obvious to others? If I'm still missing something in my understanding, please let me know.

I appreciate your help and thank you for writing this book. I'm truly enjoying digging into the lessons to improve my understanding and use of Logic Pro. I can't thank you enough!!!!