separating MIDI tracks with external Instrument plug-in

Antaren

I've created 2 MIDI tracks using the external instrument plug-in. They seem to be connected, meaning when I record (or play) on one track, the activity shows up on the other track(s) volume fader. And though I'm not seeing a MIDI region after recording in one of the tracks, I hear the part on both of the tracks.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 4.01.59 PM.png[/attachment]

This also happens when I'm playing and not recording.

I've tried using different MIDI channels for each track, and the same one. No difference. What am I missing? When I create a MIDI track without the external instrument plug-in, this "connection" doesn't happen, but then I can't pan the track. It was recommended to use the external instrument plug-in when creating MIDI tracks, so I'm trying this out. Thanks for your thoughts.

It sounds like you have two external instrument plug-ins that have the same audio input setting, therefore they're routing the same audio signal on two different channel strips?

If your synthesizer has a single pair of outputs then you will not be able to achieve what you want with that workflow. You'd have to "print" the audio of the synth to an audio track in Logic and then you'll be able to pan that audio in Logic's mixer. Otherwise you can individually pan only as many signals as your synthesizer outputs individual outputs, meaning if your synthesizer mixes two different sounds onto the same pair of outputs then you won't be able to pan those individually in Logic.

Thanks David. I'm not quite sure what you mean by

It sounds like you have two external instrument plug-ins that have the same audio input setting, therefore they're routing the same audio signal on two different channel strips?

The point for me using the external instrument plug-in, was to enable me to be able to pan a MIDI track while it's in the process of creation. It would seem to me that if I "print" the audio part, I won't be hearing the "process of creation" as I'm change notes, timing, etc. I'm working on arranging a compostion of mine for choral use, and I want to be able to pan the parts so i can hear them individually better. If I print the audio, I won't be able to hear the changes I'm creating. I need to be fluid.

I remember from earlier versions, that I could use the pan knob to pan MIDI tracks. Somewhere, this function seems to have been lost. :|

If your synthesizer has a single pair of outputs then you will not be able to achieve what you want with that workflow. You'd have to "print" the audio of the synth to an audio track in Logic and then you'll be able to pan that audio in Logic's mixer. Otherwise you can individually pan only as many signals as your synthesizer outputs individual outputs, meaning if your synthesizer mixes two different sounds onto the same pair of outputs then you won't be able to pan those individually in Logic.

Sounds like the only way I can do what I want to do is to use Logic's internal sounds from the library. My synthesizer has a single pair of outputs. Well actually, it has the main outs and the Aux outs. If I'm understanding you correctly, using both sets of outputs would allow me to have just 2 separate tracks.

On the bright side, at least I no longer will have to spend hours trying to figure out a workflow that can't work.

I remember from earlier versions, that I could use the pan knob to pan MIDI tracks. Somewhere, this function seems to have been lost. :|

No: all the pan knob does on external MIDI tracks is send MIDI Pan events to the MIDI Output destination. If you connect a synth to that output that knows how to (or is programmed to) respond to MIDI Pan events then you'll get a panned sound, assuming you're using a stereo output.

I know that personally, that's not the workflow I'd choose. I would keep everything centered until I'm ready to print to audio at which point I can pan in Logic's mixer. Or if I needed the panning for the process of creation then I'd print something, whatever I currently have, to pan it, until I decide to re-record that "something" because I now have something better.

I hope that makes sense?

Otherwise to truly have the flexibility you're asking for you'd need to use software instruments, or have one hardware output (or pair of outputs for stereo sounds) — or literally, one hardware synth — for each track you have in Logic.

I figured out how to be able to pan individual mono external midi tracks with my set-up. They key was setting the Focusrite control software. I have my synth outputs plugged into inputs 5 & 6 on my Clarett 4pre. In the Control software, I just needed to pan 5 hard left and 6 hard right.

I figured out how to be able to pan individual mono external midi tracks with my set-up. They key was setting the Focusrite control software. I have my synth outputs plugged into inputs 5 & 6 on my Clarett 4pre. In the Control software, I just needed to pan 5 hard left and 6 hard right.

I've merged this last post with your existing thread.

So panning with the Focusrite may work for monitoring, but how are you going to pan them in your Mix in Logic? What I would suggest is leaving the Focusrite software alone, creating two mono tracks, one for input 5 and the other for input 6. Then you can pan each track individually in Logic's mixer.

Thanks David. I am creating a score for choruses, so I only need to monitor the sounds. I'm not sure what you mean by " how are you going to pan them in your Mix in Logic?" I'm working in Logic to create the score. I see the panning in Logic's mixer.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 11.48.42 AM.png[/attachment]

If I were to use MIDI from my synth in a final mix in a different project that had vocals, and audio files, I would bounce the MIDI track to create an audio track. Am I misunderstanding your question?