Presonus Faderport - Anyone using it for plugin parameters?

TheRdungeon

Are you looking at the single faderport, or the 8 channel ones?

Honestly, with Logic i would say that a real MCU, or Behringer X Touch Universal with the screens and 8 V Pots are the better options. They have flip modes that lets you put any of the v pot controls down to the faders and vice versa.

On the faderports, there's only one knob - so not sure how well it's implemented. But, if the flip mode work then you would hope that they would function as requried with faders controlling plugin parameters and multi-page selects (Like an MCU) - but it's not a full/ideal implementation in regards to the single rotary control.

Hopefully someone with more experience using one with Logic will give you a better reply.

Are you looking at the single faderport, or the 8 channel ones?

Honestly, with Logic i would say that a real MCU, or Behringer X Touch Universal with the screens and 8 V Pots are the better options. They have flip modes that lets you put any of the v pot controls down to the faders and vice versa.

On the faderports, there's only one knob - so not sure how well it's implemented. But, if the flip mode work then you would hope that they would function as requried with faders controlling plugin parameters and multi-page selects (Like an MCU) - but it's not a full/ideal implementation in regards to the single rotary control.

Hopefully someone with more experience using one with Logic will give you a better reply.

Cheers for the reply, looking at the single one, just after a motorised fader so I can better adjust automation on every parameter with real time feedback. Thanks for the tipoff on the flip mode, been investigating that now but haven't turned much up. It seems really hard to see if this is possible with the single FP + Logic, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer :/

You're wanting behaviour like this on Studio One, i'm guessing? :-

If so, Logic offers Quick Access, which is the best/quickest method you'd use with a single controller assignment. see here:-

That will be simple to do with any controller, the only question is whether the motorised fader will receive feedback from Logic, I've never used it with a faderport to answer that i'm afraid.

But maybe, if that looks like what you want to do, then someone reading who owns a faderport could try and confirm.

Just had a quick google, seems as though people map via HUI to a smart control on the track which the fader will automate. See here:-

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-logic-pro/1083994-finally-got-faderport-working-lpx-please-test.html

So yes, looks like it would work to me, but there's a lot of stories of people having problems with it too, which i'm sure you've read also.

As i said before, due to how Logic likes to work with banks of 8 in regards to HUI/MCU - a single fader unit going through that same protocol will hit obstacles the deeper you try to integrate.

That said, if you're happy to map each time to the fader via mouse (i.e. via a smart control) then you won't have any issues as that's a simple setup. The problems come when it's trying to emulate a larger control unit and a mode changes within logic's control surface management which you can't reset back from. Until you've used a real MCU (for example) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense how you get back, as the control surface assignments are arranged in modes and zones which are like context specific.

Just had a quick google, seems as though people map via HUI to a smart control on the track which the fader will automate. See here:-

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-logic-pro/1083994-finally-got-faderport-working-lpx-please-test.html

So yes, looks like it would work to me, but there's a lot of stories of people having problems with it too, which i'm sure you've read also.

As i said before, due to how Logic likes to work with banks of 8 in regards to HUI/MCU - a single fader unit going through that same protocol will hit obstacles the deeper you try to integrate.

That said, if you're happy to map each time to the fader via mouse (i.e. via a smart control) then you won't have any issues as that's a simple setup. The problems come when it's trying to emulate a larger control unit and a mode changes within logic's control surface management which you can't reset back from. Until you've used a real MCU (for example) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense how you get back, as the control surface assignments are arranged in modes and zones which are like context specific.

Nice! I actually found the same thread on our forum at this link: viewtopic.php?t=124767 but didn't totally get the terminology used so thanks a lot for deciphering that. Yeah, I mean I honestly only want this unit for the motorised fader and perhaps the automation buttons, so I don't mind if everything else breaks as long as I get that going for any automation. So you reckon it would essentially function like any other controller in additional controller mode? i.e.cmd-L, wiggle parameter, wiggle slider?