Score Editor - Midi Channel per stave Input

Music Spirit

I have 3 staves all on separate Midi channels - Top Midi Channel 1 - Middle Channel 3 - Bottom Midi Channel 2

When I select Channel 3 and Step Input - a note pressed on the keyboard comes up on Midi Channel 1 .. and the focus jumps to the top stave

I want to be able to select a stave and step input in that channel on that stave.

FYI

My master keyboard is a Korg SG1 ( c.1987) and the midi channels are adjustable from a small knob in the front of the keyboard which is set to Midi Channel 1 - I cant be turning this to each midi channel every time..

Is there a way in Logic environment to enable this?

217934876_ScreenShot2020-04-11at17_26_42.thumb.png.24c99725c866302a52a08e121dc810ff.png

Thanks but I want to be able to select a given staff and write notes only on that staff - on the midi channel assigned to that staff... ie while being able to see the notes already on the other staves. And to be able to switch from one stave to the next ( and for the Step Input notes only to affect the stave I have selected).

ie what I dont seem to be able to achieve is to switch staves ( each stave assigned a different midi channel/instrument) ...

I suspect the answer lies in the the Environment ( which I know very little about) - in terms of assigning an instrument to each stave - and then getting the master keyboard to be received not in "All midi channels" but filter to distinct midi channels.

Also as I said above the keyboard being limited in midi implementation, I want to be able to set some kind of filter for midi in the Environment..

Hope this makes sense!

We both have dinosaur master controllers. Mine is also from 1987. Eventually I had to buy a small LaunchKey Mini, just for the buttons and extra keys. It's worked quite well, riding on the dinosaur's back.

The core of your problem is that knobs are annoying to turn in the fussy and repetitive need to dial in MIDI channels. But to enter notes in harmony on a polyphonic score, above or below already entered notes, in the wrong channel is visually confusing. As Greg notes, transforming them after the fact is easy. But no doubt you're hoping to recreate those halcyon years working out species counterpoint with a pencil and empty staves. O Canaan land.

The following file will allow you to select sixteen MIDI channels by pressing keys A0 (21) to C2 (36). You can tap at the appropriate key, and the Environment will channelize the incoming note -- i.e. tap B0 and the Logic track will receive channel 3, tap A#0, and you get channel 2. A0 takes you back to channel 1.

Keys A0 to C2 will not reach the sequencer. So if your basses can sing that low, well, you'll have to enter it yourself.

*If* this works for you, credit Atlas007 with an assist from fuzzfilth. They helped me with a channelizing problem here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146989

Their Environment chops exceed mine. If this doesn't work, they may be of more assistance than I. And it is possible they have a more elegant way to achieve this.

Note: the fader object will read one increment lower than the target channel. It'll say "2" for instance" when it's really channeling to 3.

What I cannot construct -- never say never with Logic, but I'm skeptical... -- is selecting an "explode polyphony" staff from a single track and have Logic automatically enter Step Input notes on that staff. I'm not sure if that's what you wanted. Assuming your polyphonic staff style is on a single track (not a score style representing many tracks), I don't think Environment can be made aware of polyphonic staff selections.

But hey, tap the key to select the channel, and the step input note would go to the proper polyphonic place, exploded or collapsed. That may be easier than mousing staves.

20_04_16 Simple Channelizer.zip

374900413_SimpleChannelizer.thumb.png.44febccdd75805dfc8ad7191ce389a9b.png

BREAKING NEWS: Sun 19 April 12.25 BST

Please abandon all attempts to create for me a midi channel environment splitter thingy... I have solved my issue as per exploring @Volovic's suggestion ( see elsewhere).

:) The Environment is a no go area for a simple soul like me... but all gratitude to Brave Environment Experts :shock:

Nevertheless I leave the following post as follows from yesterday:

Thanks Plowman for your herculean efforts at tilling the Midi Channel soil...

.... no doubt you're hoping to recreate those halcyon years working out species counterpoint with a pencil and empty staves. O Canaan land.

Exactly :)

What I cannot construct -- never say never with Logic, but I'm skeptical... -- is selecting an "explode polyphony" staff from a single track and have Logic automatically enter Step Input notes on that staff. I'm not sure if that's what you wanted.

That indeed would be very desirable

Assuming your polyphonic staff style is on a single track (not a score style representing many tracks), I don't think Environment can be made aware of polyphonic staff selections.

I downloaded your kind example project and cut and pasted the Environmental template into my own Project ( attached below).

It makes sense that to switch Midi Channels in one Stave ( with multiple Midi channel assigned voices) - might be a stretch too far .. . though you would think that it would be a useful function - a vital one even if you are working with multipled voices and midi channels. There has got to be a way of doing this ( Greg.. Ski.. Jay .. ? )

A current attached work around which doesnt actually work .... is to create 3 separate single stave regions all assigned to different midi channels with different staff styles assigned to the given midi channel.

Still step input does not display because the Keyboard always inputs ch 1 ..

I cannot get the A0 type triggers to change the channel.. knowledge of the environment is too limited...

Three Stave - Separate midi input.logicx.zip

Edited by Music Spirit

Why not just enter your notes - and at any time press Control N - this will make all events on that staff the same midi channel as the assigned track

I have experimented your suggestion which has provided the following solution which works really well for me and has SOLVED :D my original question thus:

1/ Make 4 instruments - the top one is the the Final Lead Sheet with 3 staves - this has 3 separate midi channels in the Score Style

2/ Instruments below all assigned to Channel 1 are the 'preparation' staves - each instrument preparing the notes for the separate midi channels of the Final Lead Sheet

3/ By selecting each instrument in turn, one can input only notes for that part then cut and paste them to the Final Lead Sheet, then change the midi channel of that set of notes just pasted and they jump to their correct stave.

Just one question:

What is the name of the Key Command 'Control N' ? I have looked through all the Event Key Commands and cannot find one that relates to it ( on my system Control N is used for Normalising Audio)

245392782_ScreenShot2020-04-19at12_14_56.thumb.png.fa2ee63c375fbe8b25aa9a10ff3740be.png

In the main window you can select the function via a menu - Function-> Midi Region Parameters -> Apply all parameters permanently.

This takes all parameters that you have changed in the region inspector - applies them to the regions and resets the region inspector parameters back to their defaults ( with the previous values permanently applied to the region).

It applies these values or ( Normalizes them) to be the regions defaults. In the key command window it is called "Normalize Region Parameters" - even though the description (wording) is different, it the same command. It works both for audio and midi regions.

Both commands are the same just with different descriptions. That is why I always refer to it by ^N - just simpler to explain.

36431636_ScreenShot2020-04-19at9_11_01AM.thumb.png.7095796e749550faa3bb793cae5fc10f.png1882541965_ScreenShot2020-04-19at9_14_23AM.thumb.png.1fcd295caaf1aaa51c626b63b6e59dbd.png