Control your Samples' Velocity with your Mod Wheel

This template was made out of need for orchestral composers to have a precise control over the velocity of their samples. As different velocity might trigger different articulations, or different sounding samples, it can sometimes be useful to control the velocity of all the notes playing using your Mod Wheel.

This template does just that. As you record, it overrides your controller keyboard's velocity data by the data generated by the position of your Mod Wheel. Try it!

• The original thread that explained this template is located here.

• Another environment inspired by this technique can be found there: Velocity Curves: Draw Velocity as you would Automation

WheelVelocity.lso.zip

Edited by David Nahmani

This looks cool. Gave it a whirl but It's not working here.... I can see the velocities change in the input view window in the environment but am not hearing any change in velocity either while just playing with it or if I record the wheel movements onto a subtrack.

Any hints as to what I might be missing?

Thanks!

Make sure you don't tweak anything at all (at first) in the environment that is available for download. Simply download it and open it in Logic. Make sure Inst 1 (Cello) is rec-enabled (and selected) - it should already be.

If you play your keyboard, can you hear the cello fine?

Now move your mod wheel, can you see the "Velocity" knob in the environment window move correspondingly?

If yes, then .. this should work fine? Don't record or play the sequencer: simply play notes while moving the mod wheel.

Also try the caps lock keyboard to play notes, should work the same way.

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to modify this so that a breath controller (wx5) can create that same effect live using breath data ?

Or

using a volume/expression pedal (behringerfcb1010)

I'm hoping to have a way of getting a smoother volume ride out of my samples when playing the Yamaha WX5. Usually whatever the inital velocity is the higest I can get from any sustained note, rearticulations sometimes snap the samples into a instant loud rather than a smoother transitio. I'm hoping your environment can help with that. Thanks !

Sure, if you read the original thread (linked in the first post of this thread) it explains what to change to use other controller messages.

However, I'm not sure if that's what you want in your case? Velocity is sent one, along with the Note-on message. You cannot modify it during the note. What you want is maybe expression, which is your volume control during the note...?

tsachs,

The WX5 is already controlling Note On velocity exactly the same way this environment is doing. Depending on which sampler you're using you should have the velocity set to it's minimum or even off and only use breath for volume because they either can only take one message for note on or because the MIDI implementation isn't wind controller friendly. You will get much better performance using special patches made just for a wind controller with layers that are changed and crossfaded with volume using breath.

• 3 years later...
This template was made out of need for orchestral composers to have a precise control over the velocity of their samples. As different velocity might trigger different articulations, or different sounding samples, it can sometimes be useful to control the velocity of all the notes playing using your Mod Wheel.

This template does just that. As you record, it overrides your controller keyboard's velocity data by the data generated by the position of your Mod Wheel. Try it!

The original thread that explained this template is located here.

Hi..

How can I use this "iso" thing..

Dear mod, thanx for quick answer but I meant "what is this iso for" what are we doing with this small iso (sorry for bad english and this question ,I may be moron) :)

Normally you would control the velocity of notes by how you play your keyboard. This MIDI process strips the velocity values from the incoming notes and replaces them with the value you set your control to.

• 7 months later...

Just found this on google after a search.

Dave, is there any way I can change this so I can change velocity in real time while recording? Letting say while holding down a key, I can move the mod wheel to increase the velocity so it gets louder? Almost like fading strings in and out?

Or could I change it so it changes expression?