Score: orange 'lock' symbol in left margin?

Paul Burnell

• 6 months later...

Big ol' bumpity bump!

The Logic manual doesn't offer any info. I'm now wondering myself what the orange lock means, though it appears on the first measure of the piccolo part (top staff) in on only certain pages in an orchestral arrangement that I started in L7 and now finishing in L8.

I'd also like to know how to use the page and line break (and no-break) symbols. Adding them to a staff doesn't cause the lock symbol to appear either...

Anyone?

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/lockscore.jpg

Big ol' bumpity bump!

The Logic manual doesn't offer any info. I'm now wondering myself what the orange lock means, though it appears on the first measure of the piccolo part (top staff) in on only certain pages in an orchestral arrangement that I started in L7 and now finishing in L8.

I'd also like to know how to use the page and line break (and no-break) symbols. Adding them to a staff doesn't cause the lock symbol to appear either...

Anyone?

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/lockscore.jpg

I haven't tried anything yet, but in the meantime, does it have anything to do with that track in ANY of the windows (arrange, matrix, etc)?

If it is somehow protected somewhere else it may show up (but not print) in the score window.

:roll:

I haven't tried anything yet, but in the meantime, does it have anything to do with that track in ANY of the windows (arrange, matrix, etc)?

The short answer: "no"

I just did some messing around in my current score (where the lock symbols appear on the stop staff of most (but not all) pages. When I did "reset line layout" they all went away, including the teeny tiny lock that appeared at mm. 1 of the score. (Why would you need one there?)

Then I started messing with the different line/break symbols and couldn't understand their behavior. I also don't think I quite understand the conceptual between page break and no page break. Same with line break/no line break.

I'm going to add a :roll: to the pile.

OK, I still don't understand this, but here's what I found so far...

(throwing another :roll: on the pile because I'm tired of figuring out things that aren't explained in the manual. Oh what the hell, here's another one... :roll: )

Starting with a score from which I removed all line breaks ("reset line layout"), I went down through the score using the layout tool to move bars down to following pages as I want them to be. So page 1 shows only mm. 1 - 4 (four measures), page 2 shows only 5 - 10 (6 measures), and so on. Differing numbers of measures on each page.

Each time I used the layout tool to move measures down, the top staff of the next page displayed an orange lock. As I proceeded down the score the lock appeared every time on each new page.

But sometimes I didn't need to use the layout tool to get the measure count I wanted for a particular page. The page break (or line break or whatever the hell it's called) sometimes occurred "naturally" (according to the measures/line preference). On those pages, no lock icon appeared. But I'd sure like to lock them so my layout doesn't change at some point down the road (and that can happen as we've probably all seen).

Having said that, if pages 1 and 3 have lock icons, I guess it's not necessary to lock page 2. I dunno, it's confusing to me.

• 2 months later...

it's a long time since i investigated this, but the line break tool is simply a more sophisticated version of the layout tool. the layouting with line break is remembered for the instrument set and does not affect other instrument sets.

the lock is to protect against unwanted formatting and you can remove it with the eraser tool.

my memory is hazy and i will have a chance to play around tomorrow with 8 and i will confirm these for you. or you can try yourselves....

i have to say, i recently went back to 7 for a big project because of some annoyances with 8, but i think i regret that now. i did a very heavy duty bunch of sessions in prague and used to 7 to orchestrate and that was a big mistake. 8, is far better for scoring than 7;

- fewer bugs

- more responsive

- oversize time signatures. god i wish i had had those.

- no multibar rest bug (affecting time sigs).

- layouting tools.

but the problems was, i knew that my assistant did not have 8 installed on his laptop (i don't have one) and i wanted access to the files if there was an emergency, which there was...ah you can never win....

The New Features in Logic Pro 8 PDF says:

"Page Break and Line Break Symbols

The Part box includes the new break symbols group, offering: Line Break, Page Break, No Line Break, and No Page Break events. Once inserted, they can not be moved automatically (when you alter the Layout project settings, resize the window, and so on).

You can, however, overrule the positioning of Line Break, Page Break, No Line Break, and No Page Break events with the Layout tool.

Line breaks and individual staff margins can be determined for each score set, and also or each of the extracted parts.

here is an example of where the line break tool is better:

if you are layingout a part and trying to juggle where line breaks should go, if you were to move bars with the layout tool and then change something previous to that position, then it resets or reorganizes all the layouting you had already done.

you don't have that problem with the line-break tool which always remembers the bar the break should occur at.

i guess you might consider it relatively 'tweak proof'.

if you are layingout a part and trying to juggle where line breaks should go, if you were to move bars with the layout tool and then change something previous to that position, then it resets or reorganizes all the layouting you had already done.

Not if you hold ctrl + option key. It will preserve all the layout you've already done.

If that was the only difference than I guess they are equal again.

Sorry to be a dolt, but it's still not clear to me. But regardless of that, I'm most curious to understand why/when you would use the "no line break" and "no page break". These things seem almost redundant. I think if I understood why those features exist it would help me grok the function of the other two.

The No Page Break doesn't seem to have any function to me (it's either a bug or I'm wrong about this!).

The Page Break symbol forces a page break where it's inserted, which is useful if you want to have some empty space at the bottom of the page instead of letting a new part of the composition start at the bottom line.

The Line Break symbol forces a Line Break, just like dragging with the Layout Tool does.

The No Line Break disallows a line break at the bar line it's inserted at, which is useful for readability - eg. if you want a entire section of several bars to be forced to appear on one line only. Such a symbol ensures that when you perform your further edits on other lines, that particular area is 'edit safe' in terms of line breaks.

No Page Break would also be useful (eg in a Piano Score, in a technical difficult section where one doesn't want to be busy changing to a new page) but I can't make it work.