Apple Certification Worthwhile?

Maverick

I am interested in becoming apple certified for logic, going all the way up to the master level if possible. Now, I don't really know anything about it, but is it actually a good thing to have on a resume or is it just kind of one of those stupid things? I was thinking of taking some night classes in audio engineering, but this seems a little more concrete. Any info would help. Thanks.

Apple Certification can change your life or do absolutely nothing for you... depending on what you do with it.

For example, if you want to make beats and be discovered by Jay Z, I suppose telling him you're an Apple Certified Logic end-user level 2 would end the discussion right there. :D

On the other hand, if you want to do some private consulting and teaching, Apple Certification can actually make your career.

Now I don't know you or your goals, but maybe you don't really want to do either of what I just suggested. That's ok. There's a world of opportunities in the middle, and apple certification can help with many of them, but not all of them.

What do you want to do?

Even in some situations where it may seem like the certification won't matter, let's say - be hired by a major Film Composer to become an assistant - IMO it may be the little difference between you and that other applicant that pretty much has the same resume/connections as you do. Obviously if the other guy has worked for Hans Zimmer and all you have is your apple certification, they'll go for the other guy.

Now what I've noticed a LOT in the workshops we run here in Los Angeles is that many people come not so much for the certification itself, but for the experience. I've had in my classroom some platinum selling producers, songwriters, musicians, etc... and I doubt that they need or will ever use the certification itself, but they wanted a fast paced 3 day workshop on Logic, and they got it, and they LOVED it. Generally, top level professionals are extremely satisfied with a 3 day training because to them, even a little tip that's going to save them 1/2hr a day, or a little deeper level of understanding of a feature or work flow can turn into a LOT of money or a better mastering of their craft. I've often heard "Wow, that tip alone was worth the registration price!".

Also don't forget about the incredible opportunity to network with fellow music producers. A lot of my students have moved on to better things by meeting each others in our classroom.

Here's an example of an email I received from Nicole Morier who took our workshop a few years ago, and then moved on to writing and co-producing songs for Britney Spears, Tom Jones, Junkie XL....:

I had been working on Logic Pro for a couple of years and was surprised at how much I didn't know about Logic and its capabilities when I took your introductory class. I'm totally impatient when it comes to reading manuals and had basically taught myself, but I realized I was doing a lot of things the hard way. Thanks for teaching me all the great little short cuts and tools Logic has to offer and helping me cut down on a lot wasted time and spend more of it just having fun and making music! And it wasn't just Logic, you also shared some general recording knowledge that I feel has made me a better songwriter and producer. That was definitely 3 days well spent.

Edited by David Nahmani

Definitely, the workshop will help a lot, and the certification will help you pull in clients. Clients LOVE stuff like that: certification logos on your marketing material, emails, website, framed certification plaque in your studio, etc. Makes you look legit, and shows you got through the trouble of actually learning the main production tool you're using, and passed the exam!

• 4 months later...

I think David posted som excellent insights in his first post.

Once in a while I need an engineer to cover for me in emergencies (mostly recording and minor editing jobs) and it's hard to find qualified people even though I pay $115 an hour.

Someone with a Logic certification would certainly be much more attractive to me and I'd be more inclined to hire that person upfront based on the certification alone.

Going thru the book and the 3 day training and passing the exam. It speaks volumes about a person's character, spending the time and money on improving and certifying your skills.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I have been using logic for a pretty long time now, but I recently decided that by reading these books it would make me more efficacious with my production and what have you, but then after reading the first training book, I started really getting inspired and into it. I completed 1/3 of the book in a day and enjoyed the time I spent on it.

I started considering trying to become certified in order to maybe acquire internships in audio editing fields and production/recording areas, but I wasn't sure if 1) I should take the test and 2) if I can read the book, study it, become proficient and be able to pass it without taking a class. What do you guys think about doing it on my own? I looked at practice questions and it seems like I'd be able to handle it on my own. That also goes for the advanced class (assuming the pass the first one). Lemme know what you think! Thanks