Sending Program change data to external MIDI Unit?

Paskal

Hi,

I just bought a TC Electronic G Major multi effect processor. I want to control the unit with program change from my Logic Pro 8 platform.

I found that you make those program change in the event list at the right of the screen in any Logic session. The unit does not respond to the program change entered. Why? maby just a check mark somewear?

The unit respond to any midi channel from 1-16 and OMNI and have 2 different banks. Factory and user. In the user's manual, it's ritten "Factory bank: Controller #32=0" and "User bank: Controller=1.

The program change option is "ON" in the unit.

Logic go through an M-Audio 2626 sound card that I connect to ??? Midi in to out or out to in ??? to the multi effect.

What's missing for the unit to recieve program change information?

In Logic, what matters is where you record the MIDI data, and where that data is routed to? The event list is just and editor: a way to create/edit MIDI data. It doesn't store any data in itself.

So you put your program change inside a MIDI region, on a track in the Arrange area. That track is routed to an instrument or a MIDI Port.

SO!

Create an external MIDI track, and select the correct MIDI Out port in the Library.

Is it working now?

Ok I got this to work but to a certain extend.

When I enter program change 1 it's changing to program 2. When I enter program change 2, it changes to program 3 on the unit. I read in the manual and on certain machine it responding to program 1 to 128 or 0 to 127, so I guess the TC electronic G Major is dealing with 1 to 128 so I need to add 1 to every program change I make.

I can live with that.

The problem I got is that the only program it respond to is 1, 2 and 3!!!!!

If I enter any other program change then 1, 2 or 3, the unit does not respond.

Why???

That's weard to me! :shock:

If I enter any other program change then 1, 2 or 3, the unit does not respond.

I guess that's a question that has to do with the unit, not Logic. Look at the unit, its manual, the way it's configured to respond to those program changes etc... and maybe ask on a TC Electronic forum?

One thing you can look at to make absolutely sure that Logic is doing its part of the job is to look at the "MIDI Out" monitor on the Transport bar: when you send program change 1, you should see that data in that monitor. When you send program change 10, do you see that same data (except, of course, for the value of the program change)? Yes? Then Logic is doing its job.