White Noise Blast During Tracking Session in LA Today

Radley

It's a new studio and they were using Logic 9.02 - the tracks are for a new movie called 'Happy Feet 2'. Everything sounded great, but Logic crashed twice (the first crash made a VERY loud 'white noise' sound) - I obviously can't know if it was all Logic's fault, but it was sad nonetheless. :cry:

There have been many many reports of white noise blasts while running Logic over on the Apple/Logic forum. Of all the people who have posted there, no one seems to have found a common denominator as to why this occurs. Who knows, maybe no one's take the time to compile all the data presented in that thread. Anyway, might be worth a look over there and see what others are saying. Also, do a search here as well.

It's a new studio and they were using Logic 9.02 - the tracks are for a new movie called 'Happy Feet 2'. Everything sounded great, but Logic crashed twice (the first crash made a VERY loud 'white noise' sound) - I obviously can't know if it was all Logic's fault, but it was sad nonetheless. :cry:

What audio interface where you using?

FWIW, here's the thread from over at the Apple/Logic forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2144002&start=0&tstart=0

Per that thread, there doesn't seem to be a common denominator as to what's causing the problem. What would really help in a case like this would be for someone to gather the data, but that would be a fairly big undertaking.

The following is probably not the reason for most random noise bursts that users are experiencing, but just in case: Amplitube 2 seems to cause something like this if you have the High Resolution setting on. I even managed to get it on tape (beware, it's loud even in this cellphone video...).

What audio interface where you using?

David,

I was only playing guitars on the session - didn't have time to ask specifics about their Logic system (trying to beat the LA rush hour home). I was very happy to see such a cool studio using Logic instead of PT :D It was black gospel style music and much fun to play (Abe Laboriel on bass and Greg Mathison on the B3). I took an old Gibson Tweed amp (Lancer) and cranked it for some vintage sounds. One of the tracks was the fastest tempo I have ever played! :shock:

PS: The head engineer did comment that Logic usually crashed once per session.

My white noise blasts happen on recordings on single channels. There is often several passes already on the same channel. In my case it's related to the overview function - sometimes (maybe every time, can't remember) no overview is made and the region only outputs white noise. At this point if I want to save the pass I'll sometimes close the session, re-open and delete the region and then re-import it. Sometimes the shorter "Update file information" will fix it but if that doesn't work I'll resort to the the first method.

As I mentioned in the Apple/Logic thread, I've never EVER had this problem with Logic (knock wood). I have had it occur, though, when recording audio in an app called ScreenFlow (for creating movies of screen captures, for tutorials, etc.). So my feeling is that it's some kind of CoreAudio glitch and not specifically related to Logic. Of course, that's just a guess. But judging by this thread as well as the number of people who responded to the Apple/Logic forum thread, it's apparently not an uncommon problem while running Logic.

Had this happen twice the last two months, but only on Logic 9. A REALLY LOUD constant burst of white noise. Happened when recording a single track of vocals.

Now I edit and mix in Logic 9 but go back to Logic 8 on another drive for recording.

No need to say that the talent didn't appreciate max level white noise in their headphones... It must have been crazy loud as the headphones were at a pretty loud volume....

No need to say that the talent didn't appreciate max level white noise in their headphones... It must have been crazy loud as the headphones were at a pretty loud volume....

Yes - it was , and not appreciated by anyone! Us musicians make our living with our ears - such blasts are considered both damaging and inexcusable! There is no way to protect your ears from this crap - it must not continue!

Guys 'n' Gals,

Over on the Apple/Logic website I posted a questionnaire asking people to list their system specs in an effort to pin down the problem. Here's the link:

White Noise Blast Questionnaire

I think it would be helpful if people who don't experience the problem answer the questionnaire as well as those who do. If there are enough responses there it would give me (or perhaps one of the regulars there) the inspiration to compile the data and see if there's a common denominator. It's a very serious problem, so please consider taking 2 minutes to answer the questions there. Thanks.

Ive gotten the White Noise Blast twice, once in 8 (whatever the last version was) and once in 9.0.2 Both times it was seemingly recorded into a region, even tho It didnt appear in the Overview. In both cases, saving, quitting and reopening the session, which made Logic prompt me with a warning somthing like, a file contains damaged or invald header information, would you like to repair it. Clicking yes restored the region to its proper playback and the problem did not repeat it self.

MH

• 1 year later...

This has been happening to me for the last few months. thought it could be something in the signal flow but even without any outboard gear connected and the macpro running using the built in output, i still get the blasts. this happens at least 2/3 times a day now and is putting a serious dampener on my motivation to get in the studio. It seems to blast randomly, i havent narrowed it down because im usually preoccupied with turning everything down/off/getting the f*%@ out of there.

only just thought to look up the problem and am amazed at the number of people this is happening to. has anyone been able to narrow it down?

I am running 15' Pro and NI audio 10 as the hub but this seems kinda irrelevant if its a logic problem.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

topic is a bit old, but it was relevant to me so I'll post here.

I had the white bursts for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Scared the stuffing out of me. It never really went away, I was going nuts and looking all over just to find other people have had it too and some, like me, started blaming apple.

I just found a solution for my setup. Turns out my Edirol FA-66 was set to 96Khz whilst Logic was expecting 44.1.

As soon as I realigned those two, the problem went away, along with a latency issue I had been grappling with. Smooth sailing now. Check your sample rates!

Hope this helps someone.

As soon as I realigned those two, the problem went away, along with a latency issue I had been grappling with. Smooth sailing now. Check your sample rates!

Hope this helps someone.

Hey singlespeak, very nice of you to join our community just to share your solution to this problem! I'm sure it will help others searching for those keywords in the future. Thank you, and welcome to Logic Pro Help! :D

• 3 years later...

Phew, I'm so glad others have experienced this. I've been getting it recently on a Logic Pro X (10.0.7) project I've been working on. At first I thought it was Logic crapping out because of CPU usage, but even when I switch off other tracks (like those using NI's Massive) I still get the deafening white noise blast. It's pretty scary.

At first I thought the common denominator was a certain effect plug-in I've been using, but I will certainly look at my sample rates now.

But yeah, it's a nasty shock when it happens; particularly as the white noise seems to be SO MUCH louder than the tune you're playing at the time (and I've occasionally had it in my headphones which is worse!)

- Andy

And for anybody reading this thread and saying to themselves, "my white noise blasts seem to be coming over and over, in measured time increments......" You are most likely experiencing a non-gentle reminder from a plugin company that your demo time is up.

I only say this because at the beginning of my journey here, I had that prob. Never had any reason to suspect demo plugins as the culprit, as I had no frame of reference, never having recorded digitally before.

So, take that for what its worth.

J-

I'll add that I'm experiencing the same problem.

Most often I'll have 1 track with a 8-16 bar midi loop running while I'm auditioning presets on a synth or drumkit. Sometimes its an AU from NI Komplete sometimes it's an LPX plug. But suddenly LPX freezes and starts emitting a high pitched piercingly loud crackling sound similar to white noise but broken up...and my IMac is completely frozen....no mouse, no keyboard force quit, nothing. All I can do is hold the power button on my iMac to shut it down.

I don't have an outboard sound I/O yet so I'm using the internal sound and speakers.

It scares the crap out of me every time because its so loud and jarring.

• 1 year later...

Guys I just experienced this for the first time today and it was so loud I truly worry about what effect it had on my hearing.

I am using Logic Pro X 10.2.2 and was in the middle of learning Ultrabeat when it happened.  Specifically, I recall having set the sidechain on oscillator 1, selecting a vocal track as the side chain input, hitting the space bar to play the vocal track from the arrange area into ultrabeat and then playing with the envelope when everyone at Panera around me heard the noise that caused me to yank my studio headset off my ears.

Very scary stuff and a little worried to try using ultrabeat again but really want to understand what just happened so that instead of being worried about blowing out my ears, I can make some better (intelligent) decisions next time.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have an idea of what just happened and how to prevent it from recurring?
  2. Can I prevent Logic from outputting any volume levels above a max limit that I set?

Thanks guys,  I've often searched/read your forums but this incident finally caused me to join and add my own data so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Rene Rafael

...I've had this phenomenon occur from time to time and it usually ended the day for getting anything more done...absolutely no high end left...(sigh)...so now I have three rules/procedures in place with lpx at all times...1/ never audition any plugin/sample/etc at volume, especially when "hot swapping"...2/ allow for sufficient "pre-roll" if a gain related plugin has any "look ahead" buffering involved...3/ "ICE9" is always the last plugin on the 2Bus and is always ingaged...hth.../s~