Duplicated Garageband Loops on Hard Drive?

lbkilgore

Hi, a couple of people i've encountered have duplicated garageband/apple loops in their loop browsers. garageband, and logic are both installed on the machine. i was wondering if this happened upon install of logic, where maybe garageband content was installed even though it already existed on the computer's hard drive.

i ran a spotlight search to locate the physical location of a given apple loop to find out its two locations. then, i looked at another computer that ONLY had garageband, to make absolute sure where garageband stores them. (since we all know that apple loops/jam packs store themselves in like three or so different locations on the hard drive, by default).

i began dragging some of them to the trash to test which disappeared, and which would still be "read" in the programs. it was a real pain, and hard to tell when looking at the loop browsers which one was being deleted, and ran into some more problems, like some of them not showing at ALL.

does anyone....

a) have an explanation for why they might be duplicated?

b) know the best way to go about getting rid of everything, and reindexing or something to that extent, to JUST have one single copy of each loop that both programs point to?

ANY suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

I would use the Project Manager for deleting duplicates and moving any audio files including apple loops.

Once all duplicates are gone and everything is in the desired location, delete your index file for the Loop Browser and recreate it by drag and dropping the folder(s) containing your loops onto the Loop Browser itself.

ok, these questions that follow may be considered stupid, so be forewarned: :)

how would i use the project manager to delete duplicate apple loops, from the hard drive? will it do that? or would it just "unreference" the loops, but not move them to the system's trash?

also, by using project manager in logic, to delete these duplicate loops, that will in turn also delete them from garageband? (they are showing duplicates in BOTH programs.)

also, how do you "delete the index file" for the loop browser? i know that you can re-index loops by dragging folders on top of the browser, but i don't know where the "index" file is to delete it.

am i confused?

sorry for the idiocy.

Ok, again, i must be missing something. i went to the project manager, to try to browse to see any loops on my hard drive, and don't see any of those folders.

I thought the project manager only managed the "project." and i need to delete an entire duplicate folder of loops off my hard drive. just to make sure that i'm being clear - i'm not trying to delete duplicate FILES in a project... i'm trying to delete an ENTIRE folder of duplicate loops off the hard drive - that are showing up as two of each thing in garageband AND logic.

how do i do this from the logic project manager?

i'm starting to wonder if i should just delete one of the whole duplicate folder on the HD through just trashing it in the finder, THEN delete the index file, like you said, david, and then re-drag over the other folder to index the original garageband ones to logic.

but, just to make sure i'm not missing something, again - how would i browse out, thru the PM in logic, to find the loops folder?

thanks.

Ok, i'm only half a moron: i forgot to put this in my last post/reply: i see how you can "browse" in the project manager, and see files on the HD, but i don't see how to browse to where i need to. i just see the audio files from garageband, where the JAM PACK apple loops are stored. and there are like three places on the hard drive where all these loops are.

i'm probably making this more confusing than needs to be. it's hard to explain some things over a computer.

thanks.

The reason for duplicated files is that they weren't too smart not this problem to happen :P Stand alone Garageband and Logic share those loops but installation program for both are not smart enough to reslove this.

Garageband installs loops here:

HDD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops/Apple Loops for GarageBand

(1106 loops)

Logic installs loops here:

HD/LibraryAudio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand

(1198 loops)

Then,

HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects

Jamppacks makes things more complicated.

HDD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops/Jam Pack 2

HDD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops/Jam Pack 3

HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack 4

HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack World Music

As far as I know, duplicaced files occur in the first two.

Open those 2 folders in the Finder and compare visually and you can delete duplicated files. Yeah, this is not-smart way but easy and sure :P

Then if you want, you can move those folders to somewhere else, such as an external HD.

Then rebuild the loop index file by dragg/drop the loop folder into the loop browser.

Actually, if I install Jam Pack 1, duplication issue seems to be resloved :lol:

"Apple Loops for GarageBand" folder then is "Apple Loops for GarageBand Jam Pack"

If you have Xcode installed, you can use FileMerge program to compare two folders, BTW.