MainStage on 2 computers, syncing BPM?

juanneco

i want to have two sessions of Mainstage running on 2 separate computers, however I can't figure out how to send the bpm from one session to the other.

I am using:

2 macbooks

2 external sound cards with midi in/midi out

I'm connecting the main (A) computer -from which the tempo will constantly changing- through its midi out to the other (B) computer's midi in. I have the option ¨get tempo from midi input¨set on (B) computer however the (A) computer doesn´t seem to be sending out a bpm.

How can I get (A) computer to send out a bpm to (B) computer

Please please help!

I'm connecting the main (A) computer -from which the tempo will constantly changing- through its midi out to the other (B) computer's midi in. I have the option ¨get tempo from midi input¨set on (B) computer however the (A) computer doesn´t seem to be sending out a bpm.

MainStage 2 does support sending MIDI Clock, however MIDI clock is a "sloppy tempo sync", which means: the other computer will eventuelly catch up on the tempo changes, but this involves latency. You have to see if this is good enough for you.

• 3 weeks later...

create external instrument channel strip at concert level. set midi out to the port you're sending out of. select the channel strip, and in the inspector, under MIDI output tab, select: start sending midi clock. that should do you fine.

This is not 'sync,' mind you, but it will allow other devices/applications to keep vaguely in time. If there's a human on the receiving end to nudge the sync into proper timing that's ideal. Try Plogue Bidule if you want to have some flexibility with complex setups, the only thing you lose is the Logic plugs ;)

on the offchance you're getting feedback from your midi clock, that is, mainstage is picking up the signal its sending out and sending it out 2x, create a midi activity knob and set it to the port you don't want MS to be picking up, and create another external instrument strip with the midi input set to that 'keyboard', and output 'none.' Not sure why this would help, but it does.

you don't need to use the midi connection of the audio interfaces: connect the 2 computers with an ethernet cable & create a network, then in audio/midi setup, that box that says 'network' will enable you to pass midi.. lot of steps missing there, but he info's out there. my fingers hurt.

I highly recommend MidiMonitor (easily googled) to see what's going on with your midi routing, Mainstage will not help you there.