Problems mapping drums

CraigK

I'm trying to set up ion studio session drums mk2, but I'm having an issue with making the ride cymbal trigger the ride not a crash.

I'm using Logic Pro 7.2.3 on a 1.83Ghz Intel core Duo running OS 10.4.11 and EZDrummer.

Can anybody steer me in the right direction?

One week later and not one person knows anything about logis?

What's up is this forum just BS.

I see another person asking questions about drum tracking and all he's getting is nonsense about read your manual.

Why is that does noone on here know anything?

Nobody knows how to change an inputed midi note to a different note value that uses logic?

Sure, but that isn't what you asked. Your question was about why EZDrummer is playing a crash when you told it to play a ride. I can only assume that EZDrummer has some facility for configuring what samples it plays in response to a trigger, but this is a Logic Pro forum, not an EZDrummer forum. But there may be some users here. Try re-titling the thread to "EZDrummer Mapping Issues" or something and you might have better luck.

If by some unlikely circumstance the EZDrummer's MIDI assignments cannot be changed, you can play your kit through a Mapped Instrument object cabled to the EZDrummer channel strip in the environment. The mapped instrument can translate any note event to any other note event, but this is only a practical workaround if EZDrummer is incapable of conforming its MIDI assignments to your controller kit, or you can't reconfigure the kit to send the notes EZDrummer wants.

From http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=61818

What a bunch of useless stupid responses!

Doesn't anybody on here know anything?

How do you make 1000 posts but you can't give a answer worth typing?

From this thread.

One week later and not one person knows anything about logis?

What's up is this forum just BS.

I see another person asking questions about drum tracking and all he's getting is nonsense about read your manual.

Why is that does noone on here know anything?

Maybe this will help.

Hey fader8 thank you for your response.

No it seems ion isn't much help since all they run their stuff on is pC, it's kind of a generic pad to midi setup that I'm real happy with the response on the pads, the kick pedal is o.k. and for $120 should make a nice addition to my studio.

Although I've been using Logic since ver 3 I'm not a midi guy (except for my guitar rack and foot controller) but I figure it can't be that hard to change the note in (which I know) to the note EZDrummer wants for the ride (also known)

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about thinking it was by using a mapped instrument, but I really figured that the people who would be posting here would know a little more then I do about logic.

Yes I read the manual over and over before posting my question. I sat and played with mapped intruments and couldn't get it to work. I kind of think that an older version of the manual said more on the topic because I know I read much more then my manual states.

If you wouldn't mind maybe giving a little input on how I would fix my "problem mapping drums" it would be greatly appreciated.

What i don't get is the great attitudes that I find all over this forum (you know cause of course I looked for my answer first)

Add one more to Scott Jackson's post count yet another stupid post!

Wow Scott your quite good at trying to shift your being an idiot on to others!

In case you still can't read, never in no way did your post on this thread make any sense at all!

All it did was show off how bad of a stupid attitude you have and that you in fact cannot read.

It was your mirror, sorry bout' your luck loser. Don't you see that's the point your receiving what YOU put out!

As I stated on the other thread why don't you stop making a fool of yourself and posting on this thread anymore only shows who you really are. Seriously you only posted on it to be a jerk and then you did it again! No, no one can see what attitude I'm speaking of with such great examples as yours.

And yes I do realize that by point out how big of a loser you are is grounds for at least a suspension for the forum but then lets all be honest your stupid learn to read post was just as bad.

That makes one more stupid post on Scott's counter again!

As for anybody that would actually like to offer some help-

I don't see the confusion.

Ez Drummer is a software sampler running on a host program (logic) (no you cannot change the note assignments with it)

The Ion midi drumkit converts pads to midi info and that's about it, unless you want to play their silly video game on a PC.

So if a note is transmitted from the drum kit into Logic which then triggers the sampler and records the data for play back...

How do you get logic to recieve a note (A2) and change just that note to another (A6)? (mapping drums, the trouble I'm having hence the thread title)

When I go to the mapped instrument in the environment and it brings up the keyboard it looks like you should be able to move the slider under output note across from the note your receiving.

But it doesn't work. Now since it is not described in any detail in the manual...

Thankyou in advance, Craig

C'mon kids, play nice.

CraigK, just because you post a question in a forum doesn't entitle you to get a definitive response, or any response at all. Sometimes questions go unanswered. It happens. There's zero need to resort to provocative language and jibes about how the forum is "BS" just because your question doesn't get answered to your satisfaction. No one here owes you anything, so let's cool our jets, shall we?

In 9 of 10 cases hit the drum with any instrument plugged in, if no sound you need to isolate why either midi is not coming in, or otherwise is not re-routed inside Logic. In many cases it has to do with the external midi device not even sending midi out due to a configuration setting in the device.

Let's say to have a piano patch and you hear each pad triggering, then you need to figure out what the incoming midi notes correspond to concerning the selected drum plug-in. Sometimes general midi drum settings are the default ones, sometimes not. If not you either need to re-route the midi value from the device to another note, or re-route the value inside the drum plug-in.

Finally, many drum kits don't have complete midi values exported, for example with hihat values, sometimes just hihat close/hihat open. You need to learn to live with that. Same with ride values, cymbal clamping, rim shots and so on...

And sometimes the USB-MIDI implementation in the electronic drum kit is just a piece of ****. Can't do much about that, either. Example, the early day Yamaha DD-25s that didn't send hihat open midi messages. Or some Alesis kits have very low velocity values sent over.

Hey Kent.

I'm getting the midi notes into logic through my project mix no problem.

When I'm in clicks and ports the input view clearly shows what note is coming in (A2)

What need to do is figure out how to change that note to the note for the ride and what would be the easiest way to change it to other notes quickly if possible- say if I want to change it to trigger a different part of the ride since the pad only triggers one zone (note).

Do you see what I'm saying?

C'mon kids, play nice.

CraigK, just because you post a question in a forum doesn't entitle you to get a definitive response, or any response at all. Sometimes questions go unanswered. It happens. There's zero need to resort to provocative language and jibes about how the forum is "BS" just because your question doesn't get answered to your satisfaction. No one here owes you anything, so let's cool our jets, shall we?

I'm sorry but I do believe that everyone that joins any forum deserves respect.

I posted my comments about the fact that as I searched this forum I found lots of examples of people on here showing them zero.

Maybe BS was a bit strong but then of course there are those who just can stop posting just that.

Can you or anybody, in anyway see how Scott Jackson's completely ignorant post makes any sense to this thread?

For that matter should anybody who joins this forum in anyway deserve to receive such a ignorant response?

No they don't and that is exactly what I was commenting on.

I am not a troll. I am not here to argue, but obviously some people here are.

You know sometimes things are not as obvious until someone else points them out.

Craig

What need to do is figure out how to change that note to the note for the ride and what would be the easiest way to change it to other notes quickly if possible- say if I want to change it to trigger a different part of the ride since the pad only triggers one zone (note).

I don't know what trouble you're having with the mapped instrument, but it is the best solution. In fact, it was designed specifically for what you're trying to do. Anyway, create a Mapped Instrument in the mixer layer of the environment and cable it directly into your drum sampler channel strip, as shown in the pic.

Drag the mapped instrument object to the arrange window to create a track for it. With that track selected, MIDI from your controller will route through the mapped instrument into the channel strip. Set the note translations in the Output Note column of the mapped instrument.

mappedinst.jpg.7e06a4154a0b3f65b5ed6d5d495c6a31.jpg

Respect has nothing to do with it. But if we're going to go down that road... if nothing else, by your third post YOU disrespected the forum by making disparaging comments about it because... because... you didn't get an answer to your question? Puh-lease...

Just because you post a question here (or on any internet forum) doesn't entitle you to receive a response. Of course you'd LIKE to get one (who wouldn't?). But it just doesn't always happen, and it's got nothing to do with respect. Gowon, do a search for unanswered posts here on LPH (see the link on the main LPH page) you'll discover that there are dozens unanswered posts. But that's not because of a lack of respect for those people. That would be absurd!

You referred to "your manual" above. You should know that this a privately-owned and operated forum that has no connection to Apple. So when when you gripe about "your manual", it's just as much yours as it is ours.

I don't know what trouble you're having with the mapped instrument, but it is the best solution. In fact, it was designed specifically for what you're trying to do. Anyway, create a Mapped Instrument in the mixer layer of the environment and cable it directly into your drum sampler channel strip, as shown in the pic.

Drag the mapped instrument object to the arrange window to create a track for it. With that track selected, MIDI from your controller will route through the mapped instrument into the channel strip. Set the note translations in the Output Note column of the mapped instrument.

Bam! awesome

THANKYOU!

Respect has nothing to do with it. But if we're going to go down that road... if nothing else, by your third post YOU disrespected the forum by making disparaging comments about it because... because... you didn't get an answer to your question? Puh-lease...

Just because you post a question here (or on any internet forum) doesn't entitle you to receive a response. Of course you'd LIKE to get one (who wouldn't?). But it just doesn't always happen, and it's got nothing to do with respect. Gowon, do a search for unanswered posts here on LPH (see the link on the main LPH page) you'll discover that there are dozens unanswered posts. But that's not because of a lack of respect for those people. That would be absurd!

You referred to "your manual" above. You should know that this a privately-owned and operated forum that has no connection to Apple. So when when you gripe about "your manual", it's just as much yours as it is ours.

Dude I referred to my manual to state that it wasn't in it so say something as stupid as Scott did about learning to read is just that stupid.

AND I pointed out the many people getting disrespected on here!

Four things Craig...

1) We're going to drop this conversation now and get on with the topic at hand, OK? Thank you.

2) We have a pretty good tolerance for certain "ass-like" behavior here on the forum, but there's always a breaking point.

3) If you want to see disrespect, go over to Harmony-Central. And when you return here you'll liken even the most ass-ish responses as fluffly little lambs frolicking in the meadow.

4) Please read our Forum Guidelines before posting, especially guideline #5. Here's a link for ya: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=29410

-=sKi=-

Sorry ski, I know you said to drop this conversation but I must add this last statement, then I'm out.

CraigK,

You accuse me of being a loser, an idiot and not being able to read. Before I replied to you, you had already disrespected and insulted the entire forum in general by saying "Why is that does noone on here know anything?" & "What's up is this forum just BS." Then you proceeded to visit another thread (link provided above) and directly insult Kent and Christian. "Well what a big guess there another stupid response!" and "Is it really that hard to not have a stupid attitude for you guys, if it is maybe you should stop posting so much and let people who aren't so full of themselves have some input or did you already run them off?"

Kent was forgiving enough to actually reply to this thread and try to help you even though you had insulted him.

Stop trying to make Scott Jackson the scapegoat for your own disrespectful behavior.

Peace!