Running Logic off an external hard drive?

Oxygen

I have been having a lot of latency issues as well as crashes with Logic 9 recently. It mainly happens after I am done mixing a project and have tons of plug-ins and automation happening (as well as Reason 5 rewired into Logic). My computer currently has 8 gb of ram, and I was just wondering if I were to run LOgic (or even Reason) off of say a 2 tb hard drive would this solve my problems? Does anybody currently do this? Thanks for any input

I have been having a lot of latency issues as well as crashes with Logic 9 recently. It mainly happens after I am done mixing a project and have tons of plug-ins and automation happening (as well as Reason 5 rewired into Logic). My computer currently has 8 gb of ram, and I was just wondering if I were to run LOgic (or even Reason) off of say a 2 tb hard drive would this solve my problems? Does anybody currently do this? Thanks for any input

You can't do that, what you could do is install loops on another HD. Whats your internal HD speed? you runing in 64 bit?

You could try freezing a few tracks maybe?

my internal speed on my computer is 3.06 GHz. I'm not sure what you mean by running 64 bit? Is that in Logic? I can't really freeze any tracks because they are mostly with battery and you can't freeze multi output software instruments apparently. Logic does crash sometimes without Reason, but much more often when it is running, I assume because of the increased usage my computer is getting with it open. I'm thinking off just putting all my stuff off my computer onto a hard drive and pretty much just have logic on my computer. Maybe this would help. Could I run Reason 5 off a hard drive, or any of my plug ins for that matter? Its getting really frustrating to have logic constantly crashing on me every time I sit down. Thanks for any help!

With 8 gigs of ram you can try running Logic in 64-bit, if you are on Snow Leopard.

Go to the Logic Pro icon in Applications, right click and select Get Info, or just Command-I on the keyboard, and uncheck Open in 32-bit.

Then relaunch Logic.

Make sure all your plugins are 64-bit ready.

if I were to run LOgic (or even Reason) off of say a 2 tb hard drive would this solve my problems?

No, first of all you can't run an app from a hard drive, it runs from RAM, and it is better installed on your system drive. Now you can move your media files to another drive, but this won't change any latency and crash problems. It may make your HD use more efficient though. When you get crashes, monitor your CPU and HD meters in your transport bar, and let us know which is (are?) peaking?