Multiple External MIDI Instruments

doomnote

Situation: I have several External MIDI channels set up to use Reason through ReWire. I have everything working correctly but have one problem. How do I set the MIDI channel input for the External MIDI tracks? When you create a software instrument, you are able to do this so why not with the external MIDI. I have several keyboards and some drum pads that I want locked to their corresponding instruments in Reason.

The workaround I am using is to have my MIDI controllers active in Reason and locked to their specific devices. The problem this creates is that in Logic, when an External MIDI track is selected, it is record-enabled and all MIDI controllers activate notes on that track, as well as whatever track they are assigned to in Reason.

Hopefully this makes sense and if there is a better way of achieving what I'm trying to do, please let me know.

Thank you.

I think I guess what you need.

Reading your details you need to channelize the Reason instruments so you can trigger each instrument from a given hardware device (i.e set to a given Global midi channel) and solve the "Omni" issue - right ?

Look at the example image below. I have created a Multi Instrument named "REASON" set to no Port and cabled to a Channel Splitter and the Reason rewire instruments. In the Arrange I have created 3 tracks for the "REASON" Multi Instrument. Two tracks where you can record directly the midi and one Global track set to "All Midi channels" for that Multi (the Top One where is my mouse pointer). The reason I have created this Global track is if you want to play simultaneously on your external devices. In this scenario you can go to the Logic Settings->Recording and enable "Autodemix by midi channel.." to put Logic in Multi Player/Live Mode. So if you want to record and play your devices in same time you arm the all tracks and arm select the Top 'Global' track, so you will have channelizing/monitoring to the all Reason instruments and can record the incoming midi on the Global track. After hitting stop, Logic will autodemix the incoming midi data by midi channel to the bottom tracks.

Your external controllers must be set to different midi channels (in my example ch.1 & ch.2 ) !

Regards,

A.G

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/reason_mid_trks.png