Audio Units Won't Load [SOLVED]

cblp

I recently replaced the hard drive on my Macbook Pro. Now I am having problems getting Logic Pro 9 to load Audio Units.

The Audio Units do not show up in Garageband either.

If I select Preferences-->Audio Units Manager, the Audio Units Manager does not open.

Opening in 32-bit or 64-bit does not make a difference.

I have removed everything from /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/, shut down started Logic, shut down, replaced all of the items in /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/ and started Logic.

I have deleted the Logic application and reinstalled it from the app store.

I have deleted all of the prefs files

I do not have a ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache file

After reinstalling Logic shows all of the additional content as installed, but only Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra shows up for some reason.

If I do auval -a everything shows up and appears to be fine.

I must be missing something basic, but I just can't wrap my head around it. Everything was working fine prior to the hard drive change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System info:

Logic Pro 9.1.7

OS X 10.8.1

Macbook pro 13" Mid 2010

Edited by cblp

Another thing to note, when this problem occurred, it struck me that it looks like a permissions issue, so I repaired permissions. I checked the one Jam pack that appears against the others and the permissions are the same. I went so far as setting ugo+rwx on everything in the components directory. No luck.

I finally found the problem.

It turns out that when the system migrated all of the files and directories from my previous hard drive, the ~/Library/Caches/ directory ended up with the wrong user:group. It ended up being root:wheel, so Logic couldn't write the com.apple.audiounits.cache file to the directory.

This caused the plugins to not be loaded and the Audio Units Manager to not open. I deleted the cache directory, restarted the system and let the system create a new cache directory, and now everything is working again.

Hopefully this will help someone else out if they ever encounter it.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to Logic Pro Help, ritterj!

Please take a minute to read our forum rules and add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

I am having the same problem. How did you delete the Caches directory? When I try to delete it, it says "“Caches” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X."

The audio units cache file is in your user library folder, and this folder is hidden by default n Lion and Mountain Lion.

You can access it by going to the Finder's Go menu while holding down the Option key, or permanently reveal it by entering this command in Terminal:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

J.

...or permanently reveal it by entering this command in Terminal:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

J.

Hey J,

Does that Terminal command "stick" when updating the OS?

Say you did the command in Lion and then later updated "higher" in Lion, and then later still updated to Mountain Lion...does it remain in effect.

Thanks,

red

Does that Terminal command "stick" when updating the OS?

Say you did the command in Lion and then later updated "higher" in Lion, and then later still updated to Mountain Lion...does it remain in effect.

Hey redlogic, I can only guess because I don't have Lion or Mountain Lion. I think if you just upgrade Lion to Mountain Lion (not doing a clean install) it should "stick". If for some reason it doesn't "stick" you could simply run the command again.

J.