Logic control bar showing no inputs/outputs, blinking

nnall2

I just tried to hook up a new audio interface today, the Zoom Tac 2 thunderbolt and I've followed all of the installation steps. First I had to go to Zoom's website and download the driver, and then the MixEfx software, which is just a mixer that shows you your input levels from instrument to computer.

In Logic, I changed my input and output devices under audio preferences to the Zoom Tac 2. I also changed my system sound preferences to Zoom Tac 2 for inputs and outputs, per the instructions.

Now when I open up my project though, in the control bar just to the left of the cpu and hd meters there's a "x 1 0 0" message which flashes to "no input" and back again over and over, and right below that it's reading "no output". I uploaded a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Again, I've already changed my inputs and outputs under audio preferences in Logic and in my systems settings to the new interface so I'm not sure what else I can do to make it recognize the device.

I recorded a test track with my guitar and the event shows barely any signal being recorded, basically a flat line. This may or may not have to do with how I've got my inputs and outputs set but I figured halfway would give me a little more sound than that.

Help?

**EDIT** I just updated to Logic 10.0.7 and the flashing "x 1 0 0" message is still there. Zoom product description says it's supported on OSX 10.8.5 or later. I'm wondering if this might be because I recorded the project files using a the presonus interface?

1101684937_ScreenShot2014-07-08at6_26_52PM.thumb.png.88afa1190d5dd12b820bf0b77d1d2b68.png

I just tried to hook up a new audio interface today, the Zoom Tac 2 thunderbolt and I've followed all of the installation steps. First I had to go to Zoom's website and download the driver, and then the MixEfx software, which is just a mixer that shows you your input levels from instrument to computer.

In Logic, I changed my input and output devices under audio preferences to the Zoom Tac 2. I also changed my system sound preferences to Zoom Tac 2 for inputs and outputs, per the instructions.

Now when I open up my project though, in the control bar just to the left of the cpu and hd meters there's a "x 1 0 0" message which flashes to "no input" and back again over and over, and right below that it's reading "no output". I uploaded a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

AFAIK, these readout report MIDI In and Out activity, they are not related to audio input/output.

I think that the "x 1 0 0" report incoming sync MIDI clock status that one of your gear or interface is probably sending...

Again, I've already changed my inputs and outputs under audio preferences in Logic and in my systems settings to the new interface so I'm not sure what else I can do to make it recognize the device.

I recorded a test track with my guitar and the event shows barely any signal being recorded, basically a flat line. This may or may not have to do with how I've got my inputs and outputs set but I figured halfway would give me a little more sound than that.

Help?

According to the meters (in the inspector channelstrip) you do have audio signal coming in Logic from your audio interface (even some clipping actually). The low profile of the wave drawing in the audio region could be (misleading) also enhanced with the proper slider adjustment at the top of the track window. I guess that you will have to learn to adjust your gain stages between your new interface and Logic.

**EDIT** I just updated to Logic 10.0.7 and the flashing "x 1 0 0" message is still there. Zoom product description says it's supported on OSX 10.8.5 or later. I'm wondering if this might be because I recorded the project files using a the presonus interface?
You are not clear here, are those featuring audio recordings in your posted screen capture been recorded with you Zoom Tac or a Presonus one?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, yes sorry for the delay. Was out of town. I don't have anything midi hooked up to the interface or computer. It's only the zoom tac 2 to the thunderbolt port on my computer.

I'm also noticing that after I record an instrument take for example, I get a green box with xxxxx-xxx in place of the soundwave. If I right click-delete the green box, the take will show up underneath, appearing as a soundwave and playing perfectly normal. The only thing is that when this happens, I lose the ability to manually resize it from the far ends of the take. Does that have to with the input? If not, how do I stop this from happening, I need to be able to resize takes or this is going to take forever.

When I disconnect the Tac 2, Logic says "The previously selected audio interface is not available", to which I click "ok". In the inputs/outputs window it says no input, no output. I plug it back in it still shows the blinking no inputs no output message.

Here is a picture of how I have the MixEfx software interface configured. perhaps I have something incorrectly dialed in?

566546639_ScreenShot2014-07-20at3_49_58PM.png.c55b99ce1fe8f43911d5f28be7fb8d1e.png

The installer package definitely installs a MIDI driver as well, even if the TAC-2 manual mentions nothing about MIDI functionality of the TAC-2.

290049269_ScreenShot2014-07-21at01_11_02.png.c7dacbb283ecac2af7e46e40529a98b5.png

You could check the System Exclusive box in File > Project Settings > MIDI > Input Filter to at least prevent the Sysex messages from being recorded to your regions (the X's you're seeing).

J.

Where can I access my track and project inputs to see where it has designated the signal as midi? Should I uninstall and reinstall the driver package without the midi plugins?

I've attached a picture of my controller assignments in Logic, where it shows the midi input messages being received30900844_ScreenShot2014-07-20at10_04_34PM.thumb.png.8773081179f926305ff78e857f63247e.png. Is there anything I can change here to get instrument signal instead?

Where can I access my track and project inputs to see where it has designated the signal as midi?

Nothing has been "designated as MIDI". Logic can deal with both audio and MIDI.

Should I uninstall and reinstall the driver package without the midi plugins?

You could try moving the MIDI Driver out of the MIDI Drivers folder (Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/). That should definitely stop the Sysex messages from coming in. Quit Logic first.

I've attached a picture of my controller assignments in Logic, where it shows the midi input messages being received[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 10.04.34 PM.png[/attachment]. Is there anything I can change here to get instrument signal instead?

No. As said before, Logic can handle both audio and MIDI. There's no need to block one to let the other in or anything like that. If you're not getting a strong enough audio signal it's not because of the Sysex messages. You need to turn up the gain for the input you're using, like Eric suggested.

J.

"Nothing has been "designated as MIDI". Logic can deal with both audio and MIDI."

Does that mean Logic will automatically process and use whatever signal it's receiving with no need for the user to specify what type of signal it is?

I thought the type of signal was established when the user chooses to record a specific type of audio from the prompt window when creating a new track or song ( i.e. software instrument, external midi, audio, guitar or bass, drummer). I've chosen only either the "guitar or bass" or "audio" options to record with and have gotten the "1 0 0 X" blinking message with both.

Also, with the gain, I've turned up input 1's gain on the interface to the point that it even clips (by a lot). I've also turned up input 1's levels in the onboard mixer to maximum in addition to setting the overall output levels of the interface to maximum. The blinking midi messages in the input/output display in logic are still there

1233265637_ScreenShot2014-07-21at12_28_02PM.png.cd55b6ad998bef18b78bed690c41e408.png

"Nothing has been "designated as MIDI". Logic can deal with both audio and MIDI."

Does that mean Logic will automatically process and use whatever signal it's receiving with no need for the user to specify what type of signal it is?

It will use whatever audio and most MIDI messages it receives.

I thought the type of signal was established when the user chooses to record a specific type of audio from the prompt window when creating a new track or song ( i.e. software instrument, external midi, audio, guitar or bass, drummer). I've chosen only either the "guitar or bass" or "audio" options to record with and have gotten the "1 0 0 X" blinking message with both.

Yes of course, you have to create track if you want to record stuff. Audio tracks for audio and Software Instrument and External MIDI tracks for MIDI. The "guitar" and "bass" ones are tracks that include the type of effects you'd use with those instruments (for convenience), but they're just audio tracks. As for the Sysex (and all other MIDI messages Logic understands), Logic will record them regardless of the type of track you create.

Also, with the gain, I've turned up input 1's gain on the interface to the point that it even clips (by a lot). I've also turned up input 1's levels in the onboard mixer to maximum in addition to setting the overall output levels of the interface to maximum. The blinking midi messages in the input/output display in logic are still there

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 12.28.02 PM.png[/attachment]

Those messages have nothing to do with your audio signal's level. We just recommended you turn up the gain because you said you were getting a weak signal:

I recorded a test track with my guitar and the event shows barely any signal being recorded, basically a flat line.

Those Sysex messages will do no harm, but I understand they can be annoying if you don't know why they're coming in. I'm pretty sure they will stop if you remove the file I mentioned in my other post. I would nonetheless contact Zoom for an explanation, because the manual mentions nothing about this device's MIDI functionality.

J.

• 7 months later...

Eric I have the same problem too but with the newer interface from ZOOM, Tac-2R. I know a few more details about the whole issue but still i didn't figured out. The interface is 4 days new but I'm gonna return it back tomorrow or the day after tommorow.

You're my last hope!

I'm really waiting for your answer.

Hello Logic Pro Forum

I'm Supremeja from germany. I have the same problem with the Zoom TAC-2.

Its not a failure or a bug. It's a strange feature.....

Zoom wrote me, the TAC-2® sends always SysEx Messages thru the OS X. The reason is horrible simple. The Audiosoftware MixEfx needs the SysEx Data to communicate between Hard and Software. You don't have any chance to stop this problem. You will receive the SysEx Data.

The next step/problem is when you record midi notes with you master keyboard then you record the SysEx data too. It sucks. The only way to eliminate the SysEx Horror is to set the SysEx Filter in the Projectsettings and disable the midi monitor in the transport window.

I hope it's useful for you.

Zoom wrote me, the TAC-2® sends always SysEx Messages thru the OS X. The reason is horrible simple. The Audiosoftware MixEfx needs the SysEx Data to communicate between Hard and Software.

OK. Thanks for posting this, Supremeja. The way that works reminds me my MPK49's editor software. Lots of sysex bytes going back and forth when the editor's open. Interesting to see Zoom implemented the same thing for the TAC-2®'s software, even when the device doesn't use MIDI for anything else but that.

J.

I think it was the cheapest way for Zoom to connect the Driver between Hardware and Software. It is what it is. Its the cheapest Thunderbolt Desktop Audio Interface. The next consequent stepp is the UAD Apollo Twin. But in germany you pay 700 Euro Bugs and i use already a UAD Satellite. Its too expensive for me to sample sometimes a analog synth with the Autosampler (i assimilate this idea by my friend tor create polyphonic sounds with a monophonic synth). Thats the reason to take the TAC-2.

"But" for that price is the TAC-2 absolutely awesome. The latency is extremely low. I can't believe that. And the sound is very good.

• 5 months later...

I have similar problems with MOTU MicroBook and GarageBand, but I thought that the problem was incompatibility ("no device found" message was there).

I'm searching for a new audio-thunderbold-interface to link musical instruments and MacBookPro for recording by GarageBand.

I was ZOOM-TAC2R oriented, but i read the problems and so I need your suggestion for found a good audio-interface without these problems.

The features I desire are:

- at least 2 IN

- thunderbold.

What do you think about Focusrite-Clarett2pre?

Do you think that audio-interface may create similar problems?

• 2 months later...