Don't know how to import and edit MIDI sounds

zakbenj

Hi guys

Firstly, I'm completely new to logic pro x

I downloaded it yesterday along with two sample packs which contain loads of wav files and midi files, ranging from bass to drum hits

I have my Mikrokorg XL connected as a MIDI keyboard

Basically, what I want to do is import the MIDI file/sound, and then have the ability to edit the pitch/note of the sound with my MIDI keyboard

Problem - whenever I open one of these MIDI files 'with' logic pro x, it looks like it opens the sound, however, with the grand piano playing it every time (sometimes not at all) which is not what I want (screenshot attached)

The pack also comes with wavs so I was wondering also if I can change the note of the wav with my MIDI keyboard

Any help would be greatly appreciated for this noob

Thank you!

1631178212_ScreenShot2014-09-13at01_02_19.thumb.png.3edc169e1e5ca6bfd81af3487752663d.png

Screenshot attached

Welcome to the wonderful world of Logic Pro X and to this board.

Please abide with this board rule #5, which essentially consist on posting your system specs in your signature. That will certainly help us help you.

it seems by your question that you are unaware of the difference between MIDI and audio. Logic deals with these differently, although amalgamate them when comes to create music.

According to your screen capture, you have created an external MIDI track which is assigned to a general MIDI patch (piano), which is the default setting when creating the an external MIDI track.

It is unclear of what you are trying to achieve.

With the MicroKorg, you could play/record virtual instrument (plugin in Logic), or play/record MIDI data (which could be used to playback a MicroKorg synth sound), and /or record that MicroKorg synth sound in Logic (on an audio track)... among other things...

I could only warmly recommend you David's book, which will guide you through this process, if you find too daunting reading the Logic Pro published documentation. David happens to be the host of this board and attend it regularly, which is great for support!

Okay guys - ill try to be slightly clearer

With this samples pack, there's two bass sounds for example - one in wav and one in midi format

I want to be able to open the midi file in logic so it plays the same sound that it is played as a wav, but when I open the midi file it opens up as a grand piano

I want to be able to edit the length and note of that bass sound if you get what I mean

Hope this helps

How do I do that?

First, click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Okay, I think I understand what you mean, but that is, however, impossible :cry: MIDI contains no info audio information, it contains only signals with which you can use to control parameters, like how long a note is, the velocity you play it with, how far you pull your pitch bend or modulation wheel, how much you turn a knob or push a slider etc. For you to have the same sound as your wav, you would need the same software instrument that the track was created with.

Waht you're trying to do is like buying a CD of London Philharmonic playing Beethoven's 5th, and then trying to make the cellos play pizzicato throughout in the recording. Or you can think of your midi file as a piece of sheet music. It contains information about performance, but not audio of how it's going to sound in the end. :?

This may be a bad analogy, but I hope you get the meaning.

Hey

How do I do that?

Could you explain a step-by-step process I'm a complete noob - am I able to get the exact sound of that MIDI file or does it depend if I have the right plugin

The right combination of plugin and patche will indeed determine the sound.

If you are using an Apple loop, dragging the loop MIDI file should normally load automatically the corresponding plugins and patches for the same sound.