Smorgasbord of bugs

Music Dude

I am experiencing lots of bugs in every session that I do with Logic X.

Maybe not drastic bugs since 10.0.7 but weird stuff happens in Logic every time I work.

Groups aren't grouped as they should be, graphic bugs and not so graphic bugs. Small annoyances occuring randomly.

It feels to me that Logic X wasn't really a finished product when it was released and even though a lot of bugs (a whole lot!) have been squashed I feel there are loads of them still.

What is the general perception? Does Logic hold up to your expectations?

I am mainly asking those of you who do a lot of real work with Logic.

I've been using Logic on and off since the end of the 90's but I think I might be at roads end here.

At present Logic Pro X should be called Logic X, without the "Pro". I just mean that, yes, it's a DAW with Pro features but it is not yet a Pro app. Too many bugs indeed. Many graphics bugs caused by Mavericks too so, the logic team can't do anything on this side.

And yes, I feel too that LPX was launched way too soon but at the same time everyone was waiting/asking for it.

I'm not a pro so I'm not complaining. If I was using Logic for commercial purposes, I would stay on 9 under SL.

LPX, once mature, will be a killer tool for every one. The best is to come that's for sure!

Certainly to each their own. I am a pro and need consistent behavior and to be able to move about the program quickly. There are many things that just don't act right in LPX. With the pace of work flow I need to have, I just can't use it… YET (I hope that changes)

Quite honestly, from my experience with LPX, the only features I really wish were in LP9 are FLEX pitch (though I can use Melodyne) the arpeggiator and I do like Drum Designer. The other bummer is that the Video won't export in LP9 in 64 bit mode and the bridge creates occasional crashes. The rest is window dressing.. and speaking of windows, there is a lot of screen real estate that is very poorly managed in LPX. (Overall, Logic Audio 6.x was the best at handling screen space… but those days are long gone.)

Someday I will have to move with the tide LPX (or if "it goes to eleven") Or switch to some other DAW.

Well, after quite a while since release this version still has to be the buggiest by far that Apple has ever released. To me it signals that Apple really doesn't care about professional users anymore. I never signed up to be their free beta tester. It's simply sloppy and plainly disrespectful. I have had fun and enjoyed Logic for many years and made many songs and productions that have been released all over the world with this software. Nevertheless as of now I have decided to switch to ProTools since Avid still seems to value their pro users enough to release more reliable software. I will definately check in on Logic from time to time to see if Apple has got it together but for now Logic will be on hold.

Well, after quite a while since release this version still has to be the buggiest by far that Apple has ever released. To me it signals that Apple really doesn't care about professional users anymore. I never signed up to be their free beta tester. It's simply sloppy and plainly disrespectful. I have had fun and enjoyed Logic for many years and made many songs and productions that have been released all over the world with this software. Nevertheless as of now I have decided to switch to ProTools since Avid still seems to value their pro users enough to release more reliable software. I will definately check in on Logic from time to time to see if Apple has got it together but for now Logic will be on hold.

whatever experience you're having, it's not universal. have been working with LX since the day of release, and NO major issues. some bugs? little ones, NOTHING to keep me from working.

switch to protools if you need to (then you can stop ranting here), and/or...investigate the issues you're having. peace!

whatever experience you're having, it's not universal. have been working with LX since the day of release, and NO major issues. some bugs? little ones, NOTHING to keep me from working.

No major issues since the day of the release? Don't make me laugh. :-D

What about the snap to grid debacle for instance? Audio out of sync and timing is a major issue to me.

Either you're not doing any major work or you're just plain lucky. If you perceive my truth as a rant then I am sorry. Nevertheless, if you're not having any issues I am really happy for you. I am not having the same experience.

I'm one of those that has a problematic 10.0.7 which I think is not up to standard for a 10.0.7 release.

I can't drag tracks up or down, Logic crashes consistently. It's impossible to organize tracks / arrangements / structures.

The tempo list items only appears first time I open it in a session. Any subsequent open, the list is there but empty. Have to quit and restart Logic to edit tempos. Consistent.

The playhead splits itself in two frequently, drawing itself over other editors, and placing itself in the wrong position (usually a few bars or beats behind), making it visually confusing, almost impossible to understand where/which things are playing. Quit and restart.

Automation quick access doesn't work, at all, it consistently always just controls the item in focus when learning automation quick access.

I also have some smaller graphical glitches, often when dragging things, that doesn't seem to have any serious consequences but they are not inspiring trust in the software. MIDI automation (previous hyperdraw) often displays itself wrongly (stepped instead of smooth)) after recording, and sometimes the curve handles does not work, have to quit and restart.

Some of these are not minor glitches, they are serious show stoppers and should not be present in a 10.0.7 release. I've reported them, and to Apple's credited they've asked me for further details so I know they are working on it, or at least, aware. I know that not everyone has these problems so I suppose Logic have different issues on different setups. But I am a bit disappointed and I get really frustrated some days when this softare hinders me in my job, I would expect more from it. First world problem and all, but still. Suckiness sucks.

No major issues since the day of the release? Don't make me laugh. :-D

What about the snap to grid debacle for instance? Audio out of sync and timing is a major issue to me.

Either you're not doing any major work or you're just plain lucky. If you perceive my truth as a rant then I am sorry. Nevertheless, if you're not having any issues I am really happy for you. I am not having the same experience.

i do this for a living, and am having a great time in LX. i appreciate that your experience is different... discuss it, get help for it. don't assume your issues are universal. if it's your truth, then that's exactly what it is; yours.

i have some buggy moments, but overall, this is my fave logic to date (started in logic 7).

Yes it's my truth, that's why I wrote just that, what kiotozane wrote, is his truth and what you wrote is your truth. They are not the same. Featurewise LPX is my favorite version but so far bugwise, it's my least favorite.

I wanted to hear how other people experienced LPX and to say the least, the reviews are mixed. Every workflow is different and the configurations are endless. I will most probably return to Logic when it's more mature. It is still my favorite DAW. I have filed many bugreports with Apple and eventually I am sure it will be great.

Edited by Muuseec

Yes it's my truth, that's why I wrote just that, what kiotozane wrote, is his truth and what you wrote is your truth. They are not the same. Featurewise LPX is my favorite version but so far bugwise, it's my least favorite.

I wanted to hear how other people experienced LPX and to say the least, the reviews are mixed. Every workflow is different and the configurations ate endless. I will most probably return to Logic when it's more mature. It is still my favorite DAW. I have filed many bugreports with Apple and eventually I am sure it will be great.

i hear you, really. just...lots of people in the 'real world' AND on this forum, are working happily in LX. still, bottom line: do what you need to do. getting the music MADE, no matter the tools, is the whole point. 8)

I can't drag tracks up or down, Logic crashes consistently. It's impossible to organize tracks / arrangements / structures.

Haven't seen that one yet over here.

The tempo list items only appears first time I open it in a session. Any subsequent open, the list is there but empty. Have to quit and restart Logic to edit tempos. Consistent.

There's a workaround for this bug:

viewtopic.php?p=560267#p560267

Automation quick access doesn't work, at all, it consistently always just controls the item in focus when learning automation quick access.

Working perfectly fine here.

MIDI automation (previous hyperdraw) often displays itself wrongly (stepped instead of smooth)) after recording

That bug's only visual:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=109797

J.

Thank you Jordi, I know some of these problems are not happening for others (if they were happening for everyone I would expect them to be fixed very fast, being unable to drag tracks up/down is a major, obvious issue). And thanks for the tempo list workaround, I wasn't aware of that one!

You're welcome. Sorry to hear you're experiencing all those problems!

J.

Autosave is the only new feature that keeps me with LPX.

Performance wise, they obviously abandoned the code optimisation stage. Maybe reflective of lower cost. Maybe.

LP9 is so much faster to navigate (apart from the plugin redraw thing) and you can fit more than 4 bars of arrange on a laptop screen.

Being a coder myself, i find it annoying when developers rely on advanced hardware to run their sloppy code at acceptable speeds instead of optimising.

I fell like I'm constantly waiting for the logic GUI to update before I can perform the list of actions built up in my internal brain cache :)

We're on super fast quad core i7s and we're still waiting for GUI updates when we change something. Notator on Atari ST @ 16mhz never had such issues!

Not to mention GPUs just sitting there. Logic could use them for zoom/scroll of bitmap snapshots while we're navigating the arrange like like iPhoto or Maps. Redraws only happen when mouse is idle.

Still audio sync issues when recording with 3rd party plugins on busses.

Still snapping issues.

Garage band-esque graphics are unnecessary (as they seem to have figured out with the anti-skeuomorphism in iOS/OSX), it just creates lag. Get rid of it.

since Pro x 10.0.6 nothing important to complain. Random graphical bugs without slowing down my worklfow.

Yeah 10.0.7 here tbf it isn't as bad as it was at the start, I'm getting my teeth more about the yosemite beta atm but I can't really complain after all I did install a beta, hopefully it will be sorted soon when the release comes out officially

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd have spared myself the bug fest having waited a year before I upgraded...

Well, I gave it a month, roughly, and I'm probably going back to 9 tomorrow. It's not so much the bugs - those can at least be avoided - but rather the glitches and seemingly random crashes.. In all honesty, there was not a single session without at least a crash or me having to quit and relaunch Logic. Not one.

And it's coming form all sides. Tonight, it was instruments tracks which couldn't be armed for recording until I quit and relaunch.

I've also had crossfades with clicks, crashes bypassing a plug-in with playback engaged, object parameter box which refused to register parameters I'd manually set, time-compression of an audio clip which replaced audio with white noise, playback engine suddenly starting to sound like it was downsampling tracks one after the other, patches and settings revert to default due to unfreezing that track...

And so far, I've only been working on very simple projects - tonights was just a 2 tracks demo, with 2 instances of EXS-24. Crashed once and I had to quit and relaunch another time. I'm using Logic's native plug-in exclusively in the vast majority of my projects.

In all honestly, I haven't seen anything like that since my PC days, and even then, I'd have to look pretty far in time... A shame because 9 on Snow Leopard was the best DAW I've ever worked with in 15 years.

I love LPX and have no desire to go back to LP9 (maybe ableton though if the es2 isn't fixed soon lol). The main prob for me with the bugs is that I begin to think that technical probs are actually bugs when they could be sorted. Or vice versa.

It's taken me a particular long time to work out bugs using ES2!

Flex pitch audio to midi is very random indeed and sometimes takes 4 times to work

Graphical glitches all the time which is confusing and especially confusing to others on a 13" laptop

Input monitoring is not right

Smart controls is not really cutting it for me quite yet although it is a lot better.

It's an awesome program but the main problem for me is that this is seriously halting my creativity. I also am a music production lecturer and I'm teaching students workarounds which just isn't right.

Anyway, I'm sure most techies can cope with a bit of problem solving! So never mind I'll still be here checking on a regular basis on what's sorted and what isn't so thank god for the experienced guys on here, on hand!

Just for the sake of it, later last night I went back to 9 for a new session last.

The main reason why I'd upgraded to X is that 9 performed rather poorly under Mavericks. I hope I don't jinx it and I don't know exactly what could have changed that would affect it, but last night's session was a breeze.

FWIW, I can live with a visual glitch here and there - such as that one last night when I deleted a note in the piano roll and the note remained though its velocity vanished. It had no effect on playback, so it's no biggie.

Same when inserting Waves' Elements - graphics are systematically corrupted and the only way to fix it is to switch from Editor view to Controls, and back.

http://i.imgur.com/b2SRKoh.png

Though those glitches effectively pile up and contribute to making the application unstable because constantly nag you throughout your session - dozens of times every session when the application does not behave as expected.

When you couple all those glitches w/ the mandatory crashes and the obligation to quit the application and relaunch it a couple of times every night, sometimes right in the middle of something important, it can ruin inspiration.

I understand that the experience varies depending on your configuration, and that my machine really needs to be replaced w/ a newer one. That being said, I've only worked on very sparse projects, as I'm mostly writing at this time.

But after practically a month working with Logic X 6-8 hours a day, even though I've tarted to grasp the GUI, I feel like I just can't trust it.

But I'm glad to read that it works well for some - hopefully I'll be able to experience that as well in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

But after practically a month working with Logic X 6-8 hours a day, even though I've tarted to grasp the GUI, I feel like I just can't trust it.

But I'm glad to read that it works well for some - hopefully I'll be able to experience that as well in the future.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Random bugs appear for me and they are plentiful.

Sometimes it's groups that suddenly aren't grouped when I am moving a fader, sometimes channels that are muted that play anyway or snap that acts up when moving regions. Crashes, graphical bugs, midi stuttering, automation lag and general inconsistencies.

I simply feel I can't trust it.

Can I give a different perspective on this...

Originally I come from IT and development, and many a large corp will never run the latest version, which many a mac user seems to do - too eagerly.

The reasoning is like vista, windows 8.0, etc that they don't want to be beta testers, same is true for OS X, as they don't know the what and how of well this release will perform nor how quickly it was put out, what was broken in the mix either. There examples on here saying working in 10.0.6 broken in 10.07. It's the way things are now.

From a development point of view I stay 1 version behind, why? Because Apple kindly give us a list of things that ARE fixed in 10.0.7, if I was to use 10.0.7 I have no idea what's working or not, probably no workarounds apart from great people here who help.

my 2 cents

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting, I use it for pro work and find it very acceptable. Nothing is perfect and haven't come across any showstoppers. I used L9 and absolutely hated it, L10 visually and workflow wise is much better. I have come from using Studio One for the last couple of years, at first it was great, limited in a lot of ways but blazingly fast and intuitive in others. If you think L10 is buggy then whatever they have done to Studio One on Mac is beyond desperate. So far really liking L10, maybe because I don't have a huge attachment to L9.