LPX Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

Logic Pro Tips (No questions in this forum)

Re: Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

Postby stu-attache » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:41 pm

works great thanks David....Great Books by the way :)
Logic 9.1.5 , OSX 10.6.8 , MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 , 4Gb Ram , RME Fireface 800
stu-attache

Postby Bouncer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am

had to come back to this quick tutorial just now when the need made me. great job David
Logic 9.1.8 on MacBook Pro 15/2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/8GB DDR3 SDRAM. OS X 10.6.8
Bouncer

Postby David Nahmani » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Glad to hear this helps! Thanks for the kind words on my book Stu.
David Nahmani
 Apple Certified Logic Pro Master Trainer
Author of Logic Pro X - Professional Music Production (Apple Pro Training Series)
Logic Pro X 10.0.6 - Mac OS 10.8.4 - Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon - 6GB RAM - Metric Halo ULN2
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pucky » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:54 pm

David,

I am having almost the exact same issue that was posted earlier on this topic... I am trying to record my midi keyboard and electric drum kit simultaneously into Logic Pro 9 via a MOTU micro lite. I configured it in the audio MIDI setup, and also deselected all the other transmit and receive channels for each instrument other than channel 1 for keyboard and 2 for drums. Now after I followed your instructions at the beginning of the post my results were as follows:

If track "Keyboard" (midi channel 1) is selected, both instruments come in on the keyboard track.
If track "Drums" (midi channel 2) is selected, both come in on their designated tracks.
If any other audio track is selected -- keyboard comes in on keyboard track, and drums don't work at all.

So the keyboard is consistent, and the drums record on whatever track is selected. :?: How do I fix this?

Thanks a lot!
Pucky

Postby Jordi Torres » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Pucky wrote:If track "Keyboard" (midi channel 1) is selected, both instruments come in on the keyboard track.
If track "Drums" (midi channel 2) is selected, both come in on their designated tracks.
If any other audio track is selected -- keyboard comes in on keyboard track, and drums don't work at all.

So the keyboard is consistent, and the drums record on whatever track is selected. :?: How do I fix this?

Instead of simply selecting the tracks, go straight for their R buttons and verify that they stay active when you select some other track.

J.
Et voilà!

Mac mini i7 2.3 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.9.2 | Logic Pro 10.0.6 |
MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz - 6GB RAM | OS 10.6.8 | Logic Pro 9.1.8 |
RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular |
Jordi Torres

Postby Pucky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately your suggestion isn't working for me... When I click away from the midi tracks both of the "R" buttons are still red (not just the letter but the whole button) and I'm still having the same problem as before. I'm concerned that perhaps the MIDI channel 2 isn't locked onto the drum track somehow. Is it something I need to do with the micro lite?
Pucky

Postby Jordi Torres » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Pucky wrote:I'm concerned that perhaps the MIDI channel 2 isn't locked onto the drum track somehow. Is it something I need to do with the micro lite?

Before checking the micro lite, check that the kit is actually sending data on the intended MIDI channel.

Download this free MIDI monitor so you can see what is actually going in and out of your system MIDI-wise:

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

J.
Et voilà!

Mac mini i7 2.3 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.9.2 | Logic Pro 10.0.6 |
MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz - 6GB RAM | OS 10.6.8 | Logic Pro 9.1.8 |
RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular |
Jordi Torres

Postby Pucky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Ahh you just saved my life! Turns out that the kit was sending on the default drum channel and all I had to do was select MIDI channel 10 in logic and it works like a charm. One other question though -- my micro lite has 5 ports each with their individual channels, so technically "channel 1" refers to 5 different inputs if I'm not mistaken. If I plug in a third MIDI instrument into port 3 of the micro lite it also comes in on channel 1. How do I get Logic to differentiate between ports as well as channels?

Thank you so much!
Pucky

Postby MacPhisto » Thu May 03, 2012 5:13 am

Hi there everyone, as more and more of you write your successes here i get more and more frustrated!:(

Have a small family music room containing.
Alesis DM6 USB drums
m-audio Oxygen 49
m-audio Fast Track (Guitar only)
Logitech (Rock Hero) USB Microphone

MacBook Pro and Edirol active speakers.

I can't seem to separate the keyboard and the Drum kit, and i don't see the microphone.
I have tried the tips & trick suggested here with absolutely no luck!:(

Can anyone please walk me trough, step by step? Ill even grant you access to my computer by teamviewer if that makes it easier...

The goal is to play together.
MacPhisto

Postby MacPhisto » Thu May 03, 2012 11:04 am

Made it!!! Have no idea what went right, but its playing two physical midi instruments at the same time!:) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
MacPhisto

Postby shodge » Sat May 05, 2012 6:34 am

This post is very helpful, I really needed to know exactly what was explained and it certainly makes my life easier. Thanks so much for this post.
shodge

Postby maximusaurelius » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi there,

I just purchased the Micro Lite in order to control and record 3 keys at the same time. the midi data gets into logic through different channels, now the problem is that it doesn't go back to the keys to reproduce the sound. all cables wired already. but no luck. already tried everything i can think of, even environment. need help asap.
thanks
maximusaurelius

Postby dhardway » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 am

I have a Yamaha MOX 8 and a Novation 49SL MKII both connect by USB (separate connections) as MIDI device and they both work with Logic 9 (OSX 10.8.3). Although I followed the posted instructions but I cannot get the different MIDI channel (each will play the same instrument, no matter what channel I select). NOTE: My devices are routed to different channels, as scenario works with standalone synths but not in Logic.

I believe that I have changed the channels on both but how can I verify which channels these two devices are using to transmit signal (can I use Audio MIDI Studio; if so how)? Also is there a tutorial on setting up Channel Splitter object?
dhardway

Postby David Nahmani » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:58 pm

dhardway wrote:I believe that I have changed the channels on both but how can I verify which channels these two devices are using to transmit signal

In Logic's transport bar, where it says "No in" is a MIDI input monitor. Play a note on a keyboard and you'll see a little note icon and some numbers. The number directly to the right of the note icon is the MIDI Channel number.
David Nahmani
Author of Logic Pro X - Professional Music Production (Apple Pro Training Series)
Logic Pro X 10.0.6 - Mac OS 10.8.4 - Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon - 6GB RAM - Metric Halo ULN2
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nord » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 am

Thanks for the tutorial David—it helped get my growing studio working with e-drums.

I've attached a Logic Pro X screenshot that goes along with step 1 in David's initial post in this thread in case anyone has a hard time locating the recording settings.
Attachments
midi.jpg
midi.jpg (130.75 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Logic Pro 10.0.6 and 9.1.8 | Apogee Quartet and Focusrite Octopre | KRK Rokit 8 v2 | Nektar Panorama P4 | Mackie MCU |
MacBookPro 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM with OS X 10.9.2 | Solid State drives (internal + external)
Nord

Postby jacupmakeup » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm trying to record from a Kronos to Logic X using external midi tracks. Is it possible to record multiple external midi tracks using different sounds from the Kronos for each track?

thanks!
2.7 GHz 16GB Core i5 iMac - OS X 10.8.4 - Logic Pro X - Roland Quad-Capture - Korg Kronos
jacupmakeup

Postby David Nahmani » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 pm

jacupmakeup wrote:Is it possible to record multiple external midi tracks using different sounds from the Kronos for each track?

Yes. Just make sure you use different MIDI channels for each track.
David Nahmani
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jacupmakeup » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Yes, I've tried that to no avail
2.7 GHz 16GB Core i5 iMac - OS X 10.8.4 - Logic Pro X - Roland Quad-Capture - Korg Kronos
jacupmakeup

Postby David Nahmani » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Ask your question in the Logic Pro X forum, if I see it, I'll help you there. Also make sure you click this link to your signature and add your system information:
• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.3)
• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.8.4)
• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)
• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
• Memory (e.g. 2GB)
• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)
David Nahmani
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jacupmakeup » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Ok, will do. Thank you, David.
jacupmakeup

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Tricks