Tighter Bass lines

Darren Burgos

Great tip! thanks.

Another trick I use to get punchy bass lines is to sidechain a noise suppressor (instead of compressor) from a drum track. Put the noise suppressor on a negative value (so that when it triggers it add volume instead of gating). When the drum hits trigger the sidechained noise suppressor (working in reverse), the bass volume gets raised a hair. Makes the bass really punchy and helps it stand out over the drum kicks.

Hey Robinloops, this looks like a great idea, but when I tried it myself I didn't really get what you mean by putting the Noise Gate on a "negative value". Can you explain this in a bit more detail to help me out please?

What I meant was a negative reduction (which is actually setting the level to a positive value). So I should have said set the 'reduction' value to a positive amount.

• 2 weeks later...
More and More I am finding how versatile and useful the ES2 is... It's funny, I was using NI's Massive the other day in trying to get a decent edgy synth sound... and for some reason, I decide to stop and switch to the ES2, and it nailed it. Maybe, I my ears just got tired w/ the type waveforms Massive was using? LOL! IMO, The ES2 is a really powerful synth - way better than NI's Massive or even Sylenth1.

• 1 month later...
More and More I am finding how versatile and useful the ES2 is... It's funny, I was using NI's Massive the other day in trying to get a decent edgy synth sound... and for some reason, I decide to stop and switch to the ES2, and it nailed it. Maybe, I my ears just got tired w/ the type waveforms Massive was using? LOL! IMO, The ES2 is a really powerful synth - way better than NI's Massive or even Sylenth1.

Massively underrated (if you'll excuse the pun)

I always forget about ES2 and for some reason don't think much of it but every time I do go back to it for a sound it always surprises me how good it is!