Tighter Bass lines

Darren Burgos

Tighter Bass lines

At lot of third party synthesizers have the ability to have their oscillators set to "re-trigger." In a real analog synthesizer when you press a key on it's keyboard, the oscillator is triggered at random positions along the waveform. Sometimes it's at the top of the cycle, sometimes it's at the bottom. You end up with a varied, more unpredictable sound. In modern dance music where the bass needs to be tight and hit the same way every time, re-starting the oscillator at the exact same position is vital. Many people are surprised to know that the ES2 synthesizer has re-trigger built in...it's just not called re-trigger, it's called "OSC Start."

The soft position restarts the waveform/oscillators at the zero crossing point, where as the hard position restarts at the highest point of the waveform. Try changing your bass or lead sounds to to either soft or hard and hear the difference. You'll go from a relatively sloppy sound to total tightness.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a synth that I made in the ES2 and I'm almost happy with it but when I trigger the synth it starts soft and then gets loud but when I put it to "hard" it turns into a completely different sound that I do not desire. I've tried playing with the envelope parameters like attack sustain delay but it doesn't comes out the same i don't get that hard synth sound from the start.

How do you get something like that to sound tighter and when you trigger the sound it's loud rather than soft without changing the sound i already created?

Is it the oscillators or do I have to mix it in the vector routing???

IDK I am stumped..

Help a brotha out....please.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
One thing to add to the Osc start function is of it's pitfalls. If you are using the ES2 in unison mode the will cause all the voices to be played at the same time, so essentially you will lose the desired effect of unison. Where the whole idea around unison is to randomize the phase of the oscillators while stacking a number of voices over the to to get a big fat sound.

• 3 weeks later...
Electronic & Dance Music Production in Logic Pro class I teach for Logic Pro Help.

Seems to be a 404?

-

Another tip for getting a tighter bass is to use a good opto coupled compressor. The opto mode in Logic's compressor won't do the trick unfortunately, because it doesn't have the desired non-linear response of the real deal. The Waves Renaissance in opto mode will work very well, however.

As the gain reduction comes closer to zero, the release will slow down. This keeps the tail of the bass compressed and puts focus on the attack or impact of the bass, leading to a tighter sound.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

-

Another tip for getting a tighter bass is to use a good opto coupled compressor. The opto mode in Logic's compressor won't do the trick unfortunately, because it doesn't have the desired non-linear response of the real deal. The Waves Renaissance in opto mode will work very well, however.

As the gain reduction comes closer to zero, the release will slow down. This keeps the tail of the bass compressed and puts focus on the attack or impact of the bass, leading to a tighter sound.

hi lagerfeldt

what approximate RCompressor's settings would you recommend for bass?

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great tip! thanks.

Another trick I use to get punchy bass lines is to sidechain a noise suppressor (instead of compressor) from a drum track. Put the noise suppressor on a negative value (so that when it triggers it add volume instead of gating). When the drum hits trigger the sidechained noise suppressor (working in reverse), the bass volume gets raised a hair. Makes the bass really punchy and helps it stand out over the drum kicks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Great tip! thanks.

Another trick I use to get punchy bass lines is to sidechain a noise suppressor (instead of compressor) from a drum track. Put the noise suppressor on a negative value (so that when it triggers it add volume instead of gating). When the drum hits trigger the sidechained noise suppressor (working in reverse), the bass volume gets raised a hair. Makes the bass really punchy and helps it stand out over the drum kicks.

Hey Robinloops, this looks like a great idea, but when I tried it myself I didn't really get what you mean by putting the Noise Gate on a "negative value". Can you explain this in a bit more detail to help me out please?