Izotope "Stutter Edit"

ok..it's pretty cool..But I think the setup instructions for Logic are wrong, or I'm just not understanding.

Why does it need the plugin inserted onto the track itself that generates the audio, as well as the track that carries the MIDI info? I get the whole Side-Chain/AU MidiControlled Effect part of it, but it seems like the inserted plugin on the actual audio track (or bus, etc.), doesn't do anything.

What am I missing? The setup doc tells WHAT to do, but not WHY....

Hey, the setup instructions for logic are wrong... It doesn't need to be inserted on the audio track that's being processed, just the instrument track with the audio track set as the side chain..... I don't know why they stated that in the setup guide, but it makes no difference if it's inserted on the audio track as the plugin can only be triggered via midi

I was also confused by the Logic instructions that came with it. To effect a Software Instrument track, what else do I have to do here?:

1. New track >> Software Instrument >> Instantiate ES1 (or any AU Instrument)

2. New track >> Software Instrument >> Instantiate AU Midi-Controlled Effects >> Izotope Stutter Edit. Side chain >> ???

(What I've been doing is setting the ES1 track to output to Bus 1, then setting Stutter Edit Side Chain to Bus 1. But I think this causes the original synth track to double up.)

I was also confused by the Logic instructions that came with it. To effect a Software Instrument track, what else do I have to do here?:

1. New track >> Software Instrument >> Instantiate ES1 (or any AU Instrument)

2. New track >> Software Instrument >> Instantiate AU Midi-Controlled Effects >> Izotope Stutter Edit. Side chain >> ???

(What I've been doing is setting the ES1 track to output to Bus 1, then setting Stutter Edit Side Chain to Bus 1. But I think this causes the original synth track to double up.)

Just delete the corresponding auxiliary or set it's output to "no output"

i think this could be really dope.

for those that have this, do you guys suggest purchasing this for $150 (i believe that is the price i saw it for on their site)

There's a full functional 10 day demo on their site. why don't you try it and decide for yourself if it's worth the price.

I actually have bought this thing and love it. However, after a dozen times of use, I'm getting the dry signal through the plug. Extremely annoying. I have it set-up on an instrument track and have my sound sent to a bus and the side-chain set for that bus. It's definitely coming through the plug-in. Very confused....

Anyone know how to stop the dry signal from going through the plug-in, when gestures aren't being played?

I think you're supposed to mute the bus you're side chaining from.

With no key hold, Stutter Edit doesn't process anything.

Or you could have a gesture where there's no effect playing and the dry is all the way down.

Edited by Mehdi

yup..The setup instructions are wrong.

Don't instantiate the plugin on the track that generates the audio...ONLY have it on the Inst track that generates the MIDI info. On THAT plugin, set the sidechain input to be the Track thats generating audio.

then, clik the MUTE button on the track generating the audio. That tracks ignal will still be going to the plugin via the SideChain input, but NOT out the output.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new here and have a quick question.

I'm using Reason 4 rewired to Logic Pro. I'm not able to see any of Reasons Aux Channels in the Sidechain (in Stutter Edit). Does this mean you can't use stutter edit with Reason and Logic together?

I've ended up having to bounce out all my reason tracks and then import them separately to apply stutter edit.

Hi, I'm new here and have a quick question.

I'm using Reason 4 rewired to Logic Pro. I'm not able to see any of Reasons Aux Channels in the Sidechain (in Stutter Edit). Does this mean you can't use stutter edit with Reason and Logic together?

I've ended up having to bounce out all my reason tracks and then import them separately to apply stutter edit.

Assign the output of the aux to a bus (delete the new aux that get created automatically), and set that bus as sidechain input in stutter edit.

J.

Thank you, still not working but I made some progress. At least now I can see the bus in the sidechain, so that has to be a good sign.

I'm not hearing anything though. I hear my tracks, just nothing from stutter edit, I tried skipping around to different presets and nothing.

I don't think I would call the original instructions wrong.

I just purchased Stutter and used it on a remix, set up the way the instructions said. At first I thought the same thing, I wasn't sure I wanted the source audio coming through. But in this case it proved to be the better way to do it for me.

When using it on my drums for example, I didn't want the original drum track to cut out, just wanted the effect from Stutter layered in, etc.

I'm not sure if this is related to the previous post, but is there a way I can specifically control the levels of the sound that's being processed through stutter edit ? Basically a lot of the effects are either too loud or too soft and I want to adjust the levels on them, however if I just move the volume slider in the mixer, it changes the level of both the original signal and the stutter edit.

I'm not very familiar with buses and stuff like that, i'm guessing that's why i'm not sure how to do this.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I've been trying to figure out how to bounce my stutters/effects.

I have Stutter Edit on a software track with side chain set to Bus 3 (as an example). I have multiple audio tracks with all of their outputs routed to Bus 3.

Everything sounds as it should when I play it back, but for whatever reason, I cannot figure out how to export these effects. I figured that selecting the MIDI region and bouncing in place would work, but it doesn't! Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Guys, I've been trying to figure out how to bounce my stutters/effects.

I have Stutter Edit on a software track with side chain set to Bus 3 (as an example). I have multiple audio tracks with all of their outputs routed to Bus 3.

Everything sounds as it should when I play it back, but for whatever reason, I cannot figure out how to export these effects. I figured that selecting the MIDI region and bouncing in place would work, but it doesn't! Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

you'd think at the price they are charging for this plugin, they would make some attempt to provide some host-specific tutorials :roll: :(

• 1 month later...
summary,how does it work ?i want to use it on my (kick and bass) aux channel (aux 5).i add a compressor to use the sidechain,i add a channel midi controller effect- izotope shutter. i send it to sidechain aux 16 as the sidechain at the compressor of bus channel 5 but is not working.what i'm doing wrong ?

Wow, setup was an absolute breeze for me. I think most of you are missing the idea.

It's very simple. You have to set up Stutter Edit a MIDI controlled effect. You create a instrument track but instead of adding a virtual instrument you go to the bottom and select MIDI Controlled Effect. You simply open the plugin, and in the top right corner select your audio track that you want to stutter. Select the Stutter Edit track, press some keys on your MIDI keyboard and there ya go. When you want to print something. Just do a normal bounce and solo the stutter edit (MIDI) track. If you're not doing it on a master track, draw a selection around that region you want to bounce, go to file, bounce and add to bin, reimport your audio file on a new track.

And the setup instructions in the manual for Logic are correct.

I personally think the plugin is amazing, I demo-ed it for a day and bought it that week. If anyone wants to hear a piece check this out: