Izotope "Stutter Edit"

sorry maybe i'm being thick here but i can't find a way to bounce JUST the effect results, without the dry signal. i've read every post here and dicked about with it endlessly but the dry signal is still coming through Stutted Edit and the Dry Gain control has no effect. i'm stumped!

See if anything from this other thread helps:

Setting up izotope shutter and logic [sOLVED] (there's a typo there).

You could also say what you have done so far, or maybe post a screenshot.

J.

sorry maybe i'm being thick here but i can't find a way to bounce JUST the effect results, without the dry signal. i've read every post here and dicked about with it endlessly but the dry signal is still coming through Stutted Edit and the Dry Gain control has no effect. i'm stumped!

You're simply going to want to take down the fader of the original signal. I think you can mute it also and the plugin will still take the input from that track. That's why it'll seem apparently louder because boththe dry and wet signal are being played.

You should have your main audio on one track, and then a MIDI controlled plugin software instrument track with stutter edit on another.

thanks.. that's all advice posted previously but it doesn't solve my problem :(

the fader is down, the track is muted, the output of the track is going to a bus whose output i have disabled. the audio is being routed to S.E. and the effect sounds great but the original audio can still be heard coming THROUGH the plugin itself, and i can't find a way to isolate the effected signal. just to be clear, the dry audio is not playing anywhere else but through the plugin. if i mute the S.E. midi-controlled effect channel, nothing is heard. basically it seems like there is no real wet/dry mix.

know what i mean?

thanks.. that's all advice posted previously but it doesn't solve my problem :(

the fader is down, the track is muted, the output of the track is going to a bus whose output i have disabled. the audio is being routed to S.E. and the effect sounds great but the original audio can still be heard coming THROUGH the plugin itself, and i can't find a way to isolate the effected signal. just to be clear, the dry audio is not playing anywhere else but through the plugin. if i mute the S.E. midi-controlled effect channel, nothing is heard. basically it seems like there is no real wet/dry mix.

know what i mean?

I think I get what you're saying. But what I'm saying is your audio track is essentially your dry signal, and your stutter edit plugin is your wet signal. I'm not sure what kind of effect you are trying to blend. But I've attached a picture of how it SHOULD be set up as I do it. The audio fader is all the way down, I'm hearing only the effect as you can see on the software instrument track. If I want more of the original, I just bring the audio track up. When you bounce the "Stutter Edit track" soloed, even if it's just MIDI, you should be getting your entire audio processed (wet).

Wow, sorry that screenshot is freaking huge, haha...

1827458239_Screenshot2011-08-11at10_06_33AM.thumb.jpg.592abd1dea727f3c445cc79c97d82ebd.jpg

really good of you to take the time to do that. as far as i can see i'm doing it all right. so, let's say you're stuttering some vocals and you want to bounce out the sound of just the repeats so you can compres/pan/eq/edit them etc, can you do that or is the effect tied to the original audio track? no matter what happens, i'm always hearing the original feed.

really good of you to take the time to do that. as far as i can see i'm doing it all right. so, let's say you're stuttering some vocals and you want to bounce out the sound of just the repeats so you can compres/pan/eq/edit them etc, can you do that or is the effect tied to the original audio track? no matter what happens, i'm always hearing the original feed.

Yeah if I'm correct the stutter edit is essentially warping the signal in real time so there's really no way to JUST get the effect. If you're bouncing out a section, lets say a chorus, I would select the region of the chorus, solo the stutter edit track, bounce that with the effect that you like, and edit that new audio file into your original vocal track. It's not really like a delay or reverb where if you solo'd the delay you wouldn't hear the initial word and you would JUST hear the repeats. In this case, I'm not sure if you could do something like that.

I know you said you messed around with the dry gain, but that would be my second guess to bring the dry gain all the way down or low enough to where you're mainly getting the effect but I t hink it depends on what type of effect you are using.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm having the same problem. It seems that you cant mute the direct signal and only pass through audio when you hit a midi key. Here is a workaround to get your stutter fx to an audio track. Add a gain plug in to the stutter edit track and invert the phase of both the left and right channel. Mute everything else in you session that is not going through the stutter edit plugin. It will cancel out all of your direct signal and allow to only hear the effects because they are the only information that is not completely out of phase with your original tracks. then print a bounce of the effects.

• 1 year later...

Hi I am using Logic studio 9 and I have generated a loop in ultra beat and I am looking to use Stutter on this groove. However when I set up a new midi channel and initiate Stutter, and then i go to the side chain, stutter only gives me the options of working on the audio tracks on not the midi tracks I have generated through UB

what am I doing wrong? do I have to bounce the midi down as an audio file? do I bus the UB midi channel somewhere new? can someone give me some advice please?

• 6 years later...

I think you basically have to automate the volume on the instrument track to fade in only during the wet part. Pretty huge oversight from izotope to not make it possible to turn off the dry signal