mpc 16 levels like tuning..

ckp

Thanks to the good folks at this forum(Jeff Cross, David and Sweetooth) There is an environment for an mpc like note repeat functions that lets you switch between resolutions using a fader or knob... There's one more function with the mpc that I would like to get accomplished and that is 16 levels tuning.. I see that guru 1.6 and one of the soft synths in reason can reproduce this function so im pretty sure this can be done within logic.. If anyone has an environment for it or knows how to set it up please do so and post!.... I believe this will make all mpc users turned logic freaks like myself jump off of walls!!! Thanks in advance

Would you mind describing the feature for those of us who don't know what it does (I'm one of them)? Then we can help.

What 16 levels tuning does is take a sound and tune it chromatically on the pads.. For instance If I had a brass hit on c1 it would technically stretch it along the pads until you turned the setting off.. This way you dont have to create seperate exs instruments for samples or hits within your exs kit.. Us Hiphop producers and engineers have alot of hits sampled from vinyl and other sources and its very convenient to have this feature to play round with them and create patterns and what not...

I'd like to add that the MOST useful feature of the MPC repeat function for me was PRESSURE...

For instance, you could set the repeat value for 16th notes, then input a hi-hat part by holding a pad and applying different degrees of pressure for accents, etc.

The effect was surprisingly lifelike and super easy to do, very intuitive.

Don't know what kind of a controller would generate that constant velocity expect an MPC itself....

great feature, miss it!

CJ

I'd like to add that the MOST useful feature of the MPC repeat function for me was PRESSURE...

For instance, you could set the repeat value for 16th notes, then input a hi-hat part by holding a pad and applying different degrees of pressure for accents, etc.

The effect was surprisingly lifelike and super easy to do, very intuitive.

Don't know what kind of a controller would generate that constant velocity expect an MPC itself....

great feature, miss it!

CJ

Hey CJ, that kind of comment would be good in the MPC Note Repeat environment thread - you never know!....

Beat Repeat (MPC-like note repeat)

In my time I've had both an MPD16 and and an MPC100 so I can kind of relate to what you're after.

The MPD/MPC will generally spit out velocity to your DAW - usually turned on with a switch in the MPD if I'm not mistaken. This takes the last note played, and plays it's velocity across the 16 pads.

What you need to do is turn that velocity into pitch. I'd figure you'd need to accomplish this either in the environment or with a specific instrument. I think you can affect pitch in the EXS with velocity if I'm not mistaken, also in UB, can't remember how.

Of course what you might be after is a switch that does this all without too much messing about. . . . I'm away from my work station so I'm not sure, but you MIGHT have something in the environment. I've been surprised at what's there sometimes.

I'll see what I can muster . . .

There is always that option. (!)

I think what CKP was looking to do was use a sample he'd already recorded - I'd assume from vinyl?

yea that's correct.. I have a bunch of drum kits setup with different samples and hits that i would like to mess around with without creating a new exs instrument,finding the sample, stretching it across the 61 KEYS just to find that i dont want to use that sample anymore.. Then I have to delete that exs instrument out of my library not to create cluster.. Now with that being said Isnt that a fuckin hassle to do to mess around with one sample... I have at least 5-6 samples in every kit.. There has to be a way. If reason and GURU can do it Logic definitely can.. Sounds like your on to something though vpunk

Sorry CKP - I had gf issues last night. You know how it is. ...

Only thing is you would HAVE to tell your instrument to convert velocity to pitch. . . I just can't see any other way to do it . ..

Think about it like this, they keys on the keyboard are to PITCH a sound. If you have a sample held to one key, the only way to do it is to stretch it across a KB, or tell the computer that velocity will now work pitch. . . . .