How to create or import a mpc groove

kohndo

You can for example use those mpc2000 grooves:

http://www.kenlamison.com/mpcgrooves.LSO

Select the folder containing your MIDI Regions (you could create your own MIDI Regions with your own grooves) and go to Options > Groove Templates > Make Groove Template

Next time you click on the Quantize button to quantize MIDI Events, you will have new choices corresponding to the names of the MIDI Regions used to make the new groove templates.

thanks david,

it's working.

I've made an autload file with these new quantizes.

I open logic. all quantizes are there .

I make a new song. all quantize are still there.

I close my session, close logic and re-open it. I call back my session. My tracks are there.

All midi track are playing with the "mpc swing quantize" but in the "quantize window" all my "mpc swing quantize" have disappeared.

have i to export a groove file and after re-import it?

Where quantize are stocked in Logic?

How can i change the name of the quantize?

Thank you again for the tips it really make go further.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Let me know if you have any problem... it should be an easy process.

David,

I hate to admit it but I am having a problem. For some reason I am completely missing the method to load these into logic. Coming from years with an MPC60 I jumped right on this one until I realize I was lost and utterly confused. This is normal for me but none the less frustrating.

I have tried putting the MPC file in a GROOVES folder just about everywhere I could imagine and each time I hit the IMPORT DNA Groove template it tells me to create the folder and restart. Am I missing something here? I am sure it is something simple but with hours into trial and error AND actually reading the directions I am lost.

BTW...this site has taken us from looking at the buttons in total confusion to actually making money with our new recording setup. Thanks for all the info and support.

• 2 weeks later...
You can for example use those mpc2000 grooves:

http://www.kenlamison.com/mpcgrooves.LSO

Select the folder containing your MIDI Regions (you could create your own MIDI Regions with your own grooves) and go to Options > Groove Templates > Make Groove Template

Next time you click on the Quantize button to quantize MIDI Events, you will have new choices corresponding to the names of the MIDI Regions used to make the new groove templates.

can you do this in logic express

each time I hit the IMPORT DNA Groove template it tells me to create the folder and restart

That's because you need to select "Make groove template" not "Import DNA groove template. As long as your folder is selected when you do this, all the grooves will then appear in your list of available quantizes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I have attempted to load the MPC Grooves in its own Autoload though I'm having a difficult time. If anyone can lead me in the right direction I would be very much appreciative. I have another MPC Grooves template though it's from an earlier version of Logic Pro and the preferences and everything is completely different to my setup. I also noticed after I load them in and than relaunch Logic later on, the templates are not there. Ultimately I would love to have the MPC templates readily available everytime I load up Logic Pro. I have followed the approach from here on the site though I believe I'm missing something very important.

Thanks everyone.

What I do is have a hidden groove folder in my autoload that has two folders inside it. One has the 16th note MPCs and the other has 8th note MPCs from the MPC K3. This way I can go in and select one of those for specific projects. (Just select the folder and then Options>make groove template)

I don't want to have all those Q options all the time in the quantize window, only when I need them, which is why they're in the folder. I plan to add some other grooves in their own folders down the line.

This is cool, I'm excited to try these out!

Hey so how do i get these into my permanent Quantize Menu. It's annoying to have to import them every time i open a new project, i just want them to "live" in there.

I tried putting them into my Quantize Menu in my song template and then resaving that template, but to no avail.

thanks!

Ethan

Hey so how do i get these into my permanent Quantize Menu. It's annoying to have to import them every time i open a new project, i just want them to "live" in there.

I tried putting them into my Quantize Menu in my song template and then resaving that template, but to no avail.

The midi file that the MPCs are based on must live permanently in your autoload if you want them to always show in the Quantize menu. That's the way "make groove template" works.

Import the MPC midi file

Stick it somewhere in your autoload and leave it there forever

Select the MPC file (the folder with all the MPCs in it)

Use Options>Groove Templates>Make Groove Templates

Save your autoload

Done!

• 1 month later...
Let me know if you have any problem... it should be an easy process.

David,

I hate to admit it but I am having a problem. For some reason I am completely missing the method to load these into logic. Coming from years with an MPC60 I jumped right on this one until I realize I was lost and utterly confused. This is normal for me but none the less frustrating.

I have tried putting the MPC file in a GROOVES folder just about everywhere I could imagine and each time I hit the IMPORT DNA Groove template it tells me to create the folder and restart. Am I missing something here? I am sure it is something simple but with hours into trial and error AND actually reading the directions I am lost.

BTW...this site has taken us from looking at the buttons in total confusion to actually making money with our new recording setup. Thanks for all the info and support.

hang on a second while I buy myself an anvil to slam my face into!

If anyone has also spent hours trying to figure out what the deuce is with these groove template files and why they wont load into logic before you make them quantise options-

instead of using File>Import for the LSO groove template files you need to use File>Open. This then opens an additional song page which you can dragged across to your autoload song file. Maybe there is an easier way but the Manual doesn't mention it under DNA groove section and nether does anyone else on the interweb!

After I made my groove templates I put the midi regions on an audio track which I don't use. Then I selected no output for that track, locked the track, and hid the track.

That way I have all the MPC quantizes, and yet, the track is out of sight and out of mind until I need to call it up again.

Like previously posted, this all went down in my autoload song, so I have this available whenever I start to work.

Thanks for posting this stuff!!!

-Fries

p.s.

Do you guys think that the swing settings are different between MPC models??

Is 75% swing on the MPC 1000 the same thing as 75% swing on the MPC 4000 for example???

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Ages ago i put loads and loads of midi files (all mpc swings, SP1200's etc) on a track in logic, then hid the track, so i could use them as quantize settings.

however, when i click on quantize to select one, there is this massive blank list underneath the standard logic ones, then my mpc ones etc.

I want to get rid off all these blank spots, mpc swings etc and start again, but, i have just un-hidden all my tracks and there aren't any midi files or anything containing the swings.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to delete the swings in the quantize list (not the logic ones obviously). I assumed i would delete the midi files and that would take them out of my swing list, but i don't even have the midi files in logic and they still show up in the list.

Any help would gratefully be appreciated.

(as you can tell i'm having a 'tidy up logic' day!)

Thanks

• 2 months later...
how do I get mpc grooves in logic 9? seems like opening these with logic 9 is pointleess.. im using the mpc3000grooves.lso and all I see is two midi tracks with some folders with arbitrary midi data and no quantize info? is this for logic 7? What am I missing?

So I go to quantize menu and make groove template... still dont see how to collapse the folder.. I have like 26 tracks of midi with the midi in em? Dont see how that thread helps with logic 9 using the groove templates. Figured out how to import em using logic 9 on my own

• 8 months later...