EXS24 Vocal Shutter effect?

Nimrod7

the exs alone does not provide this, cause key strokes can not modulate already triggered sounds -

so you have to transform the note on/off to a controller, first.

- in the exs, make controller 2 (or whatever) control the volume

- in the environment, create a standard instrument and a transformer

- connect the standard inst. to the transformer and the latter to the channelstrip of the exs (click "ok")

then tell the transformer to transform a certain note to controller 2: see the attached file (german version, sorry)

- then play the new standard instrument: you hear the exs, but c6 influences the volume.

751255182_Bild11.png.f8de94c998006aeac625b3304213d01b.png

Similar and Easier way to do this would be to use the tremolo plugin, set phase to 0deg., no smoothing, depth all the way, and automate the rate to your liking.

Or Automate volume manually. THis might help with that.

http://www.keyfax.com/keyfax/prdct.html

a buddy of mine wrote this, could be a timesaver for this sort of thing.

or you could download this:

http://araldfx.com/sg1/?PHPSESSID=ced9876c7a450560a51e8c2d62ee7710

which'll definately do the trick.

Wow. Structure looks really damn cool.

There has to be an easy way to accomplish this in Logic.

Yes Structure looks good, *but* in our case, if you count the clicks that guy needs in the video, I bet you get to the same number as in my solution.

O.k, people are so afraid of the environment, especially of the transformer...

Note that all the other ideas here don't provide that you can actually play both the keys to trigger the sample and a key to gate it. Of course you can also go further and open the filter by the velocity of that note. Or assign a second note like D6 to control resonance or whatever.

best

Uli

O.k, people are so afraid of the environment, especially of the transformer...

Uli... not sure if afraid is correct. I think most just don't understand it. This is a great tip, but even if someone follows it, they probably don't know why it works. It is too bad the environment isn't better documented in my opinion.

I love to play in there and try things, it can really be powerful, but just like this tip... how would you know, unless you know!

Thanks for sharing.

the exs alone does not provide this, cause key strokes can not modulate already triggered sounds -

so you have to transform the note on/off to a controller, first.

- in the exs, make controller 2 (or whatever) control the volume

- in the environment, create a standard instrument and a transformer

- connect the standard inst. to the transformer and the latter to the channelstrip of the exs (click "ok")

then tell the transformer to transform a certain note to controller 2: see the attached file (german version, sorry)

- then play the new standard instrument: you hear the exs, but c6 influences the volume.

Hi Helletul

please could you help me with this - it may be a stupid question........

i created a new instrument in the enviroment - then created a transformer (i set it up as you did in the screenshot you posted) - i conected the new instrument to the transformer then the transformer to the exs24 that i wished to add the stutter to.........

BUT - it didn't work! - i am doing somthing wrong - and i am no too sure what.

when you say "make controller 2 (or whatever)" control volume - what part of the exs24 is the "conroller" - may be a silly question - but i'm having problems locating it.

any help would be appreciated!!

thanks

RL ;-)

RL,

Hellutel is talking about the modulation section (at the bottom) of EXS24. Open the pull down window under destination and select volume and then open the pull down window under source and as advised by Hellutel select controller 2 (or whatever other you prefer). Make sure the modulation amount is set all the way up or to a good amount.

Another thing you need to do is go back to your environment and double click on the transformer...a window which looks like the image on Hellutel's original post will show up. Make sure you use the settings as pictures by Hellutel.

Maybe it can be done in Kontakt 2 without the need of using the environment. Anyone knows?

Try this:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=13511

I'm working on a new version that chops a little cleaner, (without volume smoothing). In fact I just received a response from NI regarding how best to do this, but I'm having some trouble at the moment getting their suggestion working! Kontakt2 is also not behaving well in Logic 8, so that's not helping.

RL,

Hellutel is talking about the modulation section (at the bottom) of EXS24. Open the pull down window under destination and select volume and then open the pull down window under source and as advised by Hellutel select controller 2 (or whatever other you prefer). Make sure the modulation amount is set all the way up or to a good amount.

Another thing you need to do is go back to your environment and double click on the transformer...a window which looks like the image on Hellutel's original post will show up. Make sure you use the settings as pictures by Hellutel.

thanks mate

i appreciate the assistance!! - thanks also to more records - i knew this was an option BUT wanted to try the exercise as haven't had any contact with the transformer and wanted to understand the process!

will try this over the wknd

thanks again!!

RL :)

RL,

Hellutel Hellutel.

thanks mate

i appreciate the assistance!!

yes thanks nocturnal

I think I have to change my nickname, it is absolutely insane for English forums. Even Germans hardly ever get the joke behind it. ;)

@Morerecords I don't know... you would have to set up an additional audio instrument and send it to the side chain of that noise gate just for opening the gate ... and then, you could always play either that gateopener instrument *or* the actual sample. Not *so* simple, or did I miss an easier way?

best

Uli

RL,

Hellutel Hellutel.

thanks mate

i appreciate the assistance!!

yes thanks nocturnal

I think I have to change my nickname, it is absolutely insane for English forums. Even Germans hardly ever get the joke behind it. ;)

@Morerecords I don't know... you would have to set up an additional audio instrument and send it to the side chain of that noise gate just for opening the gate ... and then, you could always play either that gateopener instrument *or* the actual sample. Not *so* simple, or did I miss an easier way?

best

Uli

Hey Uli,

I just realized I misspelled your screen name...my apologies mate. Thanks again for the great tip. Works great over here!