LP8: hide the Transport bar

David Nahmani

EDIT: this is now fixed in 8.0.1

Unfortunately, in LP8 you can't close the Transport bar. When you need a large Arrange area on a smaller screen, this can be frustrating. Here is a quick tip to temporarily hide the Transport bar when you need to see more Arrange screen estate.

This is only a temporary workaround, and the new screenset cannot be saved with the Transport bar hidden, so you'll have to do that everytime you open the song or recall that screenset. I still feel it's worth it in many cases, so let me share:

Drag the whole Arrange window down so the Transport Bar is hidden at the bottom of the screen:

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/dragdown.jpg

Position your mouse pointer on the upper right of the Arrange window's title bar to get the horizontal resize tool, and drag up to re-enlarge the window until it fills the screen:

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/dragup.jpg

Enjoy your full screen Arrange area:

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/FullScreen.gif
Edited by David Nahmani

David, I tried this also but Logic 8 automatically resizes the arrange window back to a "default size" after a while. Atleast for me. It happens when I record enable a track, or just randomly after a little while. I can't even lock it in a screen set.

(Oh, I realize you mentioned this was temporarily) indeed it is.

:-)

Very nice. Thanks so much for posting this. I likes me some more room for my arrange window.

It's funny, I've never said "I likes me some.. (whatever)" in my entire life, and Jeff Tweedy just asked between songs if we as a culture could stop saying that phrase. Stop saying it? I'd never even heard it before. Now that I know it, I can't stop using it.

Ironic. It would have been better for him if he'd never mentioned it. I likes me some "I likes me some..."

A good workaround. Shouldn't have to do this though if the designers weren't so damned sure they knew how everybody was going to want to work all the time. I find myself doing dumb stuff like pushing floating plugin windows off into the unseen edge of the screen just to get some real estate back. Yeah, it's a killer program with gobs of versitility but limiting the customization options of the GUI detracts from the overall user ease and design elegance. The less programmers assume they know about exactly what users will do with their programs the more flexible the outcome. On many stupid little things like this, it seems 8 has gone backwards, these are minor details that I would imagine are simple to code as opposed to the real heavy duty audio stuff. I still wouldn't go back to Express 7 personally but I still see producers I work for using Pro 7. - Emile

Hey Emile. Just a quick note about something you said. Don't know if this is a new feature in 8, but there's a 'hide/show plug-in windows' command assigned to the 'V' key. I'm not sure where it is in the drop down menus. Very handy to quickly get rid of those pesky floating plug in windows.

Thanks Zuelito. Somebody just hipped me to the same workaround elsewhere on this forum. Mine wasn't assigned to anything at all so I assigned it to X. I'm getting to like it more and more. The only thing that was better in the old arrangement was that I could have several plugs open, squeeze the mouse and get that Expose display and then pick the one I want. I'll take this, though. One keystroke is a pretty elegant solution. - Emile

Hi..Yes I attempted this when I first heard you mention it as a pet peeve. I discounted using it because it was so glitchy that it just became even more of an annoyance then the static transport bar. Also the resize tool is available on most of the top bars width. Thanks for sharing David.. JON

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't necessarily have to be temporary:

Open the key commands and search for 'trash'

Assign a command to 'open trash'

Expand the Trash window and set it as a screenset.

Make a template from the project.

In actuality, you're working from the trash. If this doesn't bother you conceptually, it allows one to successfully emulate some Logic7 windows as well -- to an extent.

• 2 weeks later...
..thanks for deleting the double post... ;)

definitely in LP8...

Well then that's impossible, unless you work in a LP7-style Arrange window that you opened with the key command "Open Trash". In LP8 you can't hide the Transport Bar from a normal Arrange window: one with the Editing area at the bottom, the Toolbar at the top and the Lists/Media area on the right.

also:

in arrange window...go to: View/transport

hmmm....

There's no such menu in LP8.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
this must have been a dream.. yup... I must have forgotten to take my meds.

No, it's not a dream it's true! But you should place the mouse just above of Transport Bar (grayer horizontal line) and when the normal arrow will change to little bar with arrow pointed down - you drop down the Transport Bar!

It works in LP8

this must have been a dream.. yup... I must have forgotten to take my meds.

No, it's not a dream it's true! But you should place the mouse just above of Transport Bar (grayer horizontal line) and when the normal arrow will change to little bar with arrow pointed down - you drop down the Transport Bar!

It works in LP8

Look at the post dates: the post you are quoting is dated from November 2007, when Logic 8.0.0 was the most current version. At the time, this was not possible, so it was, indeed, a dream. Hiding the transport bar has been possible Logic since 8.0.1.

Since this thread is no longer relevant, I'll move it to the Logic forum.