Key Commands in Leopard?

After I made the switch to Leopard, it seems that my 'alt' key (next to "apple") stopped working in LP7. It's fine outside of LP (i.e. word or anything else), but no luck in Logic. Have tried to re-configure relevant key commands to no avail; The default commands including 'alt' don't work either.

Also, it says in the manual (p44) "Your personal key assignments are stored in a seperate Preferences file" - but which one? Have tried to locate and spotlight such a file in library, application support etc. I sure would like to back up that one.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mikkel

----

MacbookPro, Leopard, 1.83 gHz, 1GB ram

For the key commands, Logic saves key commands in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist. If you export your key commands, it creates a separate file with the extension .logikcs and places it in ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Key Commands/.

For your Leopard problem, I haven't experienced it.. but use Logic 8, not Logic 7. Do you mean you can't even Option-drag a region or note to create a copy?

David, thanks for your quick reply; I located the .plist file and learned something too :-)

About 'alt', it's weird (but nice!) that I actually CAN copy and move regions using 'alt'. When it comes to a key command that includes that key (for example 'alt' plus w for "close floating window"), that won't work. Or even 'alt' plus k for opening the Key Commands window - that don't work either. Stranger still, when I press the latter combination to access Key Commands, the Logic Pro Menu shortly flashes blue, but nothing else happens.

Hope you (or someone else) can help me out.

Peace, Mikkel

Well those key commands are most probably not assigned to those functions. When a menu flashes it indicate you performed a function, so that key command is assigned to a function inside that menu.

You can hold Control as you choose a function from a menu to change its key command assignment, then click learn and press the new one.

Hmm, I may not be making myself clear; Logic refers to that key as "Opt" in the key commands window, thus "Opt"+K is the default key command for opening the key commands menu ... as shown in the Logic Pro - Preferences - Key Commands menu. AND on my (European) keyboard, that same key has "alt" written on it as well as that symbol. Hope that clarifies something. And still, even if I manually assign some command to "Opt"+"some-other-key" it doesn't work.

It all worked well when I was on Tiger 10.4. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mikkel

• 3 weeks later...

David, I found a solution! It turns out that after the switch to Leopard, Logic's key commands function properly only with the American keyboard layout! --- Seems obvious once you know it, but I hadn't thought of it. I'm Danish, based in Copenhagen, and we have several letters in the alphabet that you guys don't have. So, our keyboard layout is slightly different. In System Preferences you can change keyboard layout, and that solves the problem.

Thanks anyway - forward this post to anyone with a related problem.

Peace, Mikkel

I've posted about a very similar problem. Could actually be the same problem. But from what I can tell this happens on both Tiger and Leopard.

In Logic 8.0 it seems that some default key commands are mapped by position and not by label, which means that key commands are only 100% reliable on US-QWERTY keyboards. You can literally switch the keyboard layout with the key command window open and watch some key commands change in front of you.

This has caused me some problems since I use an alternate keyboard layout too.

Logic 8 and Dvorak Keyboard layouts

I hope this gets fixed soon.