Variations, tempo and metric modulation for film scoring

edylanmusic

Sorry for the convoluted title, I didn't know exactly what to call it.

Im wondering a couple of things. Using MIDI time stretch, either in the tracks area or with time handles, could you stretch an entire passage to a value that is either not snapped to the grid ar something other than a multiple of 2 (so not halving or doubling) like let's say a triplet which in effect would create a metric modulation? So let's say I have an orchestral passage and I want to try a variation of that passage in a latter section but at a faster tempo which for the sake of this example would be "eight note= triplet eight note" what would be the best way to go about this (having a very large region count) Just calculating time manually and doing a tempo change?

But let's say I have a movie and visually I can see where the passage should "fit" is there a way using MIDI stretch or something to achieve this quickly and visually. I've done this in the past with other calculations or just working it out musically but Im wondering if Logic offers a better way.

Alternatively, what would be the best workaround if I wanted to import a set of bars from another project to lets say do a variation on a little passage that's part of a larger cue on another session. What I've done so far is either play things again, or write it in Sibelius and import it or importing all of the tracks from the other project and then just cutting and keeping the needed bars. But with such a large track count it becomes such a task that I feel I must be missing something.

Anyways, sorry for the convoluted questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edy

Sorry for the convoluted title, I didn't know exactly what to call it.

Im wondering a couple of things. Using MIDI time stretch, either in the tracks area or with time handles, could you stretch an entire passage to a value that is either not snapped to the grid ar something other than a multiple of 2 (so not halving or doubling) like let's say a triplet which in effect would create a metric modulation? So let's say I have an orchestral passage and I want to try a variation of that passage in a latter section but at a faster tempo which for the sake of this example would be "eight note= triplet eight note" what would be the best way to go about this (having a very large region count) Just calculating time manually and doing a tempo change?

Time stretch could do the trick, providing that your different tracks are properly quantized. Otherwise (if played rubato from one another) the stretching would accentuate their uneven relative timing incoherence. MIDI region Time stretching (or Time Handles) can follow the Snap setting.

But let's say I have a movie and visually I can see where the passage should "fit" is there a way using MIDI stretch or something to achieve this quickly and visually. I've done this in the past with other calculations or just working it out musically but Im wondering if Logic offers a better way.
Yes. However, besides the quantization consideration mentioned above, the eventual project's tempo fluctuations (if any), could impact on the outcome.

Alternatively, what would be the best workaround if I wanted to import a set of bars from another project to lets say do a variation on a little passage that's part of a larger cue on another session. What I've done so far is either play things again, or write it in Sibelius and import it or importing all of the tracks from the other project and then just cutting and keeping the needed bars. But with such a large track count it becomes such a task that I feel I must be missing something.
I would first save a project version containing only the desired set of bars you wish to import, then use the Project Import function.

Thanks for your response. I understand the basic process of time stretching or MIDI stretch. But let's say in the example above I want to have a passage that has a simple meter (as opposed to compound) and let's say Im at 60 bpm. I want to stretch it so that it's faster but I snap it to a grid on triplet values (so 1/8 triplet). I don't want the music to be in compound time, rather I want that "triplet eighth note" to be the new eight note value, a simple metric modulation. And Im just using the triplet as an example of where things could "fall" when stretching visually to match a part of a scene or something. But it could be any value that is still musically logical in a grid.

So in the example above my music would be snapped to a triplet value but fitting the scene properly, how do I then make those triplets the simple with value so that my music would "look the same" if it was written but at this new faster tempo which was found by visually stretching things? I hope Im being clear.

Thanks for the SAVING A PROJECT WITH JUST THE INTENDED PASSAGE advice!!

1335204136_ScreenShot2022-03-08at3_31_06PM.png.a5b2f7da695805cd1b35c70827ba8b93.png