Copying and Pasting Help

zoso335

Hello,

If I cut a region from an audio track, say 5ms before beat 1 of measure 14, and copy and paste it 10 measures ahead, is there a way to paste it so that it arrives at 5ms before measure 10, instead of right to the grid on the downbeat? Also, if I'm cutting something right before a downbeat, is there a way to see exactly where 4 beats is later from the original cut?

To explain what I'm trying to do, I recorded a drum beat and want to cut one measure and loop it. The kick drum hit is right before the downbeat of 1, so how do I easily include the whole drum beat in the measure and copy and paste it multiple times.

Thanks!

Hello,

If I cut a region from an audio track, say 5ms before beat 1 of measure 14, and copy and paste it 10 measures ahead, is there a way to paste it so that it arrives at 5ms before measure 10, instead of right to the grid on the downbeat? Also, if I'm cutting something right before a downbeat, is there a way to see exactly where 4 beats is later from the original cut?

I think that you have to set the Snap to Relative in the Event List editor. as explained here.

To explain what I'm trying to do, I recorded a drum beat and want to cut one measure and loop it. The kick drum hit is right before the downbeat of 1, so how do I easily include the whole drum beat in the measure and copy and paste it multiple times.

Thanks!

Are your drum recording  are a mix of all the instruments (kick, snare, HH, etc) into a single audio file, or each the instruments are recorded separately, each in a distinct audio file?

For me, I just hold down option (key command for copy) and then click and drag my audio or midi region to the new location. I'm not sure if snap setting has to be on smart or not, but for me Logic will always remember exactly where the original region started. For example if my audio file started at 1 4 4 232 (which is just a hair before 2 0 0 0), I would option+click copy and move it to 4 0 0 0 (on the grid), and it would automatically snap the region to 3 4 4 232, remembering that the previous audio region started a tiny bit before the bar. Hope this helps.Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I think that you have to set the Snap to Relative in the Event List editor. as explained here.

It is set to Smart and Relative already.

Thanks!

Are your drum recording  are a mix of all the instruments (kick, snare, HH, etc) into a single audio file, or each the instruments are recorded separately, each in a distinct audio file?

Yes they are a mixture of instruments. In case it helps, I do not want to change the timing of any hits.

Hello,

Thanks!

Wanted to reply again since I can't figure out how to use the quote reply properly.

1.) The snap setting is already on smart and relative.

2.) Each instrument is on it's own audio file as well as all instruments on overhead mics (stereo file). In case it helps, I do not want to change the timing of any instrument.

To circumvent Logic's inability to play simultaneously overlapping audio regions (from the same track) limitation, and considering that your scenario involves such overlapping audio material (each subsequent copy iteration starting before previous iteration's ending), I would consider using two (parallel) tracks, onto which would alternate iterations copies of your audio material to be looped. Using the Multiple Copy method could ease the procedure. Deleting every other regions from the first track (to eliminate the overlaps), then copying that resulting suite of regions onto the second track; and finally shifting forward the second track's regions, to create the required alternating pattern, should achieve the sought end result.

There might be other simpler approaches...

BTW, I notice that your signature indicates you are runnig an outdated LPX version (which is notoriously bug-ridden...), any reason for that?

• 3 years later...

I don't know if it answers your problem, but I just discovered that if you have your Snap options like this (all in the same snap menu in the arrange window):

- Snap to Grid

- Snap to Bar

- Snap Regions to Relative Value

Then if you use the marquee tool and select the bar you're working on,

then do cmd+c to copy, and cmd+v as many times as you want to paste, and the whole bar will be copied with the relative positions of the audio samples in it preserved.