Logic Pro 10.3 and Sierra?

dchaiku

1985538037_ScreenShot2017-07-07at7_32_20PM.thumb.png.f6b67031ab6ff6c7dca4af1e3169d66b.pngCan someone kindly f@#king enlighten me? My "magic mouse" died. I bought a "magic mouse 2". It didn't work. Found out I had to update my OS. Updated to Sierra. Now I've got Logic 10.3. Logic looks f@#ked up, and the mouse moves like it it's on valium. I simply wanted a new mouse. Now, 8 hours later, everything is a mess. I haven't gotten a g#ddamn thing done. Kindly, oh please kindly, enlighten me. 

If this helps, I've got a two screen setup (three counting laptop). If I move the main window to my second screen, everything looks fine and moves properly. Perhaps something is messed up with my setup? So much for quickly replacing my bloody mouse. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried that. As for the GUI, do you notice those yellow dots on my screen capture? 

That is what I was referring to. If I move the main window over to my second monitor, those disappear and all looks as it should. And the stuttered movement of the mouse is only on the one screen. On the second screen, it moves just fine. I'll get this sorted out somehow. Pardon my tone in the original post - after a full day of what I thought would be a 5 minute event, I was utterly at my tolerance limit. 

no need to apologize, we all know what it feels like when things go wrong with our macs/apps/life. might be worth trying: running with the second screen disconnected, just to see how things behave. or create a test admin account on your mac, and open logic there....  good luck sorting it out!

...fwiw...try: 

1/ shut down your mbp and disconnect the external monitors, restart the mbp

2/ open lpx and it should "reset" itself to using just the "native" video screen locations, the simpler the better, i.e. just one screen set/unlocked, etc...and become comfortable/familiar with the new "look"...everything should be there

3/ close/save lpx...shutdown the mbp...reattach the external monitors...restart

4/ open lpx and reconfigure the screen layout...

...hth...I move my mbp between several different "mobile" locations/configurations and I've never found the "transition" to be either smooth nor "intuitive"...and that's my "fix"...Cheers!.../s~

Thanks for the ideas fisher king and steveLpx1. I am just now seeing your posts...what I have done in the meantime was uninstall Sierra and go back to Yosemite 10.10.5. The magic mouse 2 requires OS X v10.11 or later. Yosemite 10.10.5 therefore won't work properly (scroll function is gone). What do you all suggest I do (other than return the mouse and try to find another previous version mouse)? 

Upon further research, I'm reluctant to leave Yosemite just so I can use this magic mouse 2. Everything works for me in Yosemite. I'm considering returning the mm2 and finding an alternative (refurbished 1st version or another Apple compatible mouse). Also, this would mean I can't update to Logic 10.3 since Yosemite doesn't meet the minimum requirements. I can live with Logic 10.2.4, which I like quite well. Eventually though, I'll need to update to newer Logic versions. Thoughts/suggestions? What would you do?

I would upgrade to Sierra and 10.3, which are much better in my experience, but on a separate HD. Then you can continue in Yosemite, while troubleshooting the lag issue in Sierra. When you solve it, you can move over to that. It sounds like some kind of graphics or other issue with that monitor, but i am sure it can be solved, even if it means replacing the monitor. After all, loads of people are happily running the system without lags. I wouldn't want to be without many of the improvements in 10.3 now. When i upgrade my OS, I always keep the last OS, until i am sure it is all working fine. I still have a HD with a working Yosemite on it, but now I never go back to it. The next OS I will upgrade the Yosemite HD, and thus retain a very smoothly functioning Sierra, until i know it's all working. And so on.

Thanks - appreciate the opinion. What OS are you using with 10.3? See you list 10.12.6pb6. Which is that?

i run the public betas... it's not for everyone (i'm either brave, or insane... or both). logic 10.3.1 is running really well, better than earlier versions of sierra; bodes well for the final 10.12.6. 

OK, so here's where the situation is currently. (Note - I am logging this saga here for the benefit of anybody who might find themselves in the same situation. I realize this is becoming more of an Apple issue than specifically a Logic issue. If I should stop updating this thread, please David or someone else just let me know and I'll be happy to do so.) I reinstalled Sierra and tried your suggestion, steveLpx1, to no avail. Per Apple, I reset NVRAM (Non-volatile RAM), and again, no change. Also per Apple, I then reset SMC (System Management Controller). No change. The left monitor still has a stuttering cursor and LPX does not function correctly on the left monitor only. All functions properly on the right monitor and the MBP screen. I switch the monitor display order, making the left the right, and vice versa. Interestingly, the left (which was just the right) is still the one that is messed up. Apple suggests I completely wipe out my MBP, revert to the original OS that came with it, so as to have a "clean installation of Sierra". OK, but first I say I'd like to try installing El Cap to see if that functions properly. They send me the link to do that. I try and get the message "this update is not available for this computer" or something to that effect. Researching, I find it is a common issue. I uninstall Sierra and restore from a backup so I'm back to Yosemite 10.10.5. As usual, EVERYTHING functions properly on Yosemite (except, of course, I am not able to update to LPX 10.3, nor use a Magic Mouse 2, which require OS v10.11 or higher - so I'm back to using my old Magic Mouse, which shorts out all the time). My next step - either wipe out MBP as suggested and try a "clean install", or see if I can find an El Cap installer somewhere else. Enjoying the story? Me neither. :) 

For want of a mouse... I'm totally sympathetic with your situation. I'm staying in LPX 10.2 because I'm running Yosemite, and I've heard of so many experiences where an OS update breaks something crucial. My company upgraded from 10.8 to 10.11 over a year ago, and it has collectively been more of a hassle than an improvement. Best of luck to you.

OK - just ended a session with Apple. Helped me set up a partition on my HD, so once Sierra is downloaded, I'll install it (again!) in the "Sierra partition" so it's a totally clean installation. If the left monitor works, all is well. If not, there is a compatibility issue with Sierra and the display monitor. 

On the second try, Sierra installed successfully on my "Sierra Partition". And now...the left monitor won't even show up in Displays! So whereas before it was working poorly, now it doesn't work at all. Per Apple, it must be a compatibility issue with my monitors (ASUS VN247H-P). My options: 1. Stay with Yosemite (eh, not a viable long-term solution) 2. Deal with Sierra and one monitor (not happening) 3. See if ASUS has an answer (on the phone with them right now - not really getting anywhere) 4. Sell my monitors and get new ones that are compatible. Well well...it would be nice to spend all this time making music...

sorry to hear what you've been going thru, but remember, it's nothing personal. it's the nature of tech; some things work, some don't; there are so many variables. hopefully, you'll get some help from ASUS... if not, as you point out... you can go for new monitors (and obviously confirm they're compatible with sierra). good luck!

Hey dchaiku I've been reading your thread and I have 2 ASUS vp247's working with my mbpr mid 2012.  Not sure if this will help or not but I notice in your signature you are running a macbook pro.  I'm not sure if a mbp will do the 3 but you say you had it working before on 10.10.5.  How did you plug them in?

Hi hybridarts - thanks for writing! Not sure what you mean by "do the 3"? Do you mean when you've got your 2 displays running, the MBP screen doesn't function? I've had the MBP screen plus two displays running smoothly on 10.10.5 since 2015, up until this Sierra update. I've got the left display (the one not working with Sierra) running an HDMI to USB converter, then plugging straight into a USB port on the MBP. Right display I've got running an HDMI to Thunderbolt cable into my Apollo interface, then Thunderbolt out of Apollo into the Thunderbolt port on the MBP.  Flawless. So I just switched the two (thought I'd done this before but apparently not) - ran the left monitor HDMI to Thunderbolt into Apollo, and the right HDMI to USB then into MBP. And...the left display worked and right didn't. SO, there is something about Sierra and running a display HDMI to USB converter then into USB on MBP that is not functioning properly. 

Another question (sorry folks, I'm just not a techy kind of guy) - is this even possible: HDMI to Thunderbolt cable (like my other display), then a converter that accepts Thunderbolt and comes out USB? I'm just wondering if there is something about not having a Thunderbolt cable in the lineup that is causing the issue? I only have one Thunderbolt port on the MBP. 

Sorry to jump in late on this but I noticed your question about El Cap. I was on Mavericks and wanted to upgrade to LP X. Even though the Apple website offers El Cap i discovered that if your computer is capable of running Sierra, you get directed that way and can't actually install el cap. So I bought a bootable USB online with El Cap and did the upgrade that way. Absolutely flawless upgrade, with the option to do a clean install if you wish. LP X (10.3.1) and OS 10.11.6 - rock solid and with two monitors. 

Hi maceasy - oh yes, I tried many times to get myself onto El Capitan in the past few days, with no luck. I was told by Apple, "The only way you can obtain El Capitan would be if you had a friend or family member that had it attached to their AppleID". With this not being an immediate option, I went to DiskMaker X and tried to get their bootable El Cap, which didn't work. I will try the link you have given, but also - fusbur, might you be willing to share where you bought your bootable USB? I know a Google search would yield multiple results, but since we know yours worked, that would be a good place for me to get one.