Logic Pro 10.3 and Sierra?

dchaiku

Hey dchaiku looks like ya thread has been gaining some momentum.  I did mean by the 3 all three monitors inclusive of the laptop.  Been a few days so not sure how you have been progressing.  If you are still trying to source El Capitan I was just reading over on the DUC forum that you can email Apple Support and they can help you out.  A user there was chasing Mavericks and said support were quite obliging.  Other than that you can daisy chain thunderbolt/display port equipped monitors but I think you will lose macbook monitor(turns off automatically) or another possibility is to look at one external display of  27", maybe more.  I was tossing up between 1 27" or 2 24" monitors initially and actually wished I'd gone with one as it has pushed my audio monitors out to the side too much in relation to where I sit(have to look at mounting one on top of the other now but that may just put one monitor too high).  I also came across something called a Diamond usb3.0/2.0 HDMI/DVI mini ultra dock that is supposed to do what you want but I have no idea what it would cost.  

Regardless, hope you have still been able to make music in the meantime.

Thanks for the replies! hybridarts, yes indeed, I've been making music. I am still trying to work this out, but in the meantime, I'm working in my old Yosemite/somewhat functioning mouse situation and getting work done. And like I said, I've had all 3 monitors working perfectly since 2015 on Yosemite, with one monitor going HDMI cable to USB converter straight into USB port on MBP, and other monitor going HDMI to Thunderbolt cable into my interface Thunderbolt port, then out Thunderbolt into Thunderbolt port on MBP. Flawless. Many thanks for the link, fusbur! Do you know if that will work if I've never had El Capitan at all? When trying to install from Diskmaker X, apparently the reason I couldn't update to El Cap is because I never had it (El Cap) in my App Store purchases. The gentleman running DiskMaker said that "your only chance is to get it through a friend or through a non-official link". So before buying this USB drive, does anyone know if this will (in theory) work for me since I never had El Capitan? (Funny thing is, I don't even know if being on El Cap will resolve my original mouse issue! Maybe I'll have the same issue as on Sierra?!)

fusbur, your contact replied immediately to me that yes indeed, this will work even if I've never had El Capitan to begin with. I'll order that USB drive now and update if/when all is successful... From an intent to switch out my mouse in a few minutes, to ordering a USB drive from the UK. Hilarious really. 

with one monitor going HDMI cable to USB converter straight into USB port on MBP, and other monitor going HDMI to Thunderbolt cable into my interface Thunderbolt port, then out Thunderbolt into Thunderbolt port on MBP. 

I'm surprised you are successfully running one of your second displays with a USB port. I have two monitors on my MBP; one connected directly to HDMI, and the other to a Thunderbolt/VGA adaptor. Running Sierra, no issues.

Fingers crossed, fusbur! Wolfie2112 - when you say directly to HDMI, does that mean running an HDMI from monitor to mini displayport on your MBP? My MBP has one Firewire, one Thunderbolt, and 2 USB ports. Perhaps you have more ports? But yes, I've got one monitor running HDMI cable into USB3 adaptor, then that USB cable straight into MBP. 

Fingers crossed, fusbur! Wolfie2112 - when you say directly to HDMI, does that mean running an HDMI from monitor to mini displayport on your MBP? My MBP has one Firewire, one Thunderbolt, and 2 USB ports. Perhaps you have more ports? But yes, I've got one monitor running HDMI cable into USB3 adaptor, then that USB cable straight into MBP. 

I didn't realize yours doesn't have HDMI, my 2013 has it. You've peaked my interest though, I want to see if I can add a third display using USB/HDMI

Question for you, hybridarts. If I understand you correctly, you are on Sierra and Logic 10.3 with a 2012 MBP, running two external monitors (not the MBP screen), is this correct? I don't mind if I lose the MBP screen - I just want the two external monitors to work. How do you have them set up? I assume you only have one mini displayport/Thunderbolt input on your MBP like me? If so, how is your second monitor running?

Yep mate on 10.3 and Sierra and 2 externals plus the macbook screen.  I have a thunderbolt dock which has one monitor plugged in via hdmi and the mbp retina has its own hdmi port in which I plug the other monitor.  It has been reported that these mbpr's can run hot and I have had some high fan speeds but I haven't found that it lasts for too long.  I am keeping an eye on it.  Did you have a look at the Diamond MDS3900?  This provides dual monitor support off usb but requires software to run, which could either play nice or not with Logic I couldn't tell you, sorry:)

Yeah that's a pain.  The retina has the second thunderbolt port too.  If you do want to look into Thunderbolt docks, that may be a solution?  This is what mine(a Caldigit TS2) says about dual display support but to be honest I find it a little confusing about what its saying when using 2 non-thunderbolt displays.  I'm guessing in your situation if you ran the dock and a non-thunderbolt monitor, then your Apollo(daisy-chain) then lastly your second monitor(display port to hdmi) it might work, but I am guessing here.  I don't have any thunderbolt devices except the dock to test this for you but I'll see if I can can't find something to do this.

Simultaneous dual display is supported when using a Thunderbolt display and another Non-Thunderbolt Display (HDMI, DVI, mDP). To support TWO Non-Thunderbolt displays simultaneously, more than one Thunderbolt devices must be connected on the same daisy chain. (i.e. CalDigit TS2 + another Thunderbolt device

Thanks for the reply. Been mixing and now trying to get my head back into this whole dual display madness. Question (for you or anybody with an answer to this!): if I got some sort of Thunderbolt dock, I believe I'd still need to run that dock into my USB port, since my only mini displayport/Thunderbolt input on my MBP needs to be used to connect my Apollo to the MBP? Ugh...I'm losing the thought process here...! If I'm correct on the above thought, then ultimately I'm still going into a USB port which seems to be the cause of the problem...

Thanks for the reply. Been mixing and now trying to get my head back into this whole dual display madness. Question (for you or anybody with an answer to this!): if I got some sort of Thunderbolt dock, I believe I'd still need to run that dock into my USB port, since my only mini displayport/Thunderbolt input on my MBP needs to be used to connect my Apollo to the MBP? Ugh...I'm losing the thought process here...! If I'm correct on the above thought, then ultimately I'm still going into a USB port which seems to be the cause of the problem...

Does the Apollo not have 2 thunderbolt ports? If so you daisy chain the stuff, if not make sure you get a dock that does have 2 thunderbolt connections, [soapbox mode on] The number of thunderbolt devices around that only have one port is IMHO disgraceful and its no wonder thunderbolt has not really caught on[soapbox mode off]

I used to use two Thunderbolt 27 displays, daisy changed to each other, and the Apollo connected to the 2nd thunderbolt screen, no problems.

Though its much easier with just the one screen in my opinion! directly in front of you.

The Apollo Twin has only one Thunderbolt port.

My Apollo has 2 Thunderbolt ports. Unless I'm misunderstanding though, I need to use one of those to connect the Apollo to my MBP, which is why I can only plug one display directly into the Apollo's (remaining) Thunderbolt. Frankly, I've not tried daisy chaining the displays. They each have two HDMI ports (not labeled as in or out, so perhaps inputs only?) and one D-sub. Do I simply run one HDMI cable from one monitor's HDMI port into one of the HDMI ports on the other monitor, then that monitor I continue to run (as I'm doing now) with an HDMI to Thunderbolt cable into my Apollo? Is that the idea? I'm guessing there is not HDMI out, so this likely won't work...?

Well, hopefully its the winning combination for you.  But when its all said and done, if your workflow works better under Yosemite then I say stick with it.  If 10.3 gives you features you need then make the changes, but if you can live without for now then do so.  Sgt Peppers was recorded with far less than what we have today.  It's one of my favourite albums and with all the technology I have, I still haven't produced anything that good   :lol: 

A very good point hybridarts. I got the chance to listen to the raw tracks of Sgt. Peppers. Don't misunderstand - I love that album, but it was an eye-opener to hear just how "normal" the recordings were. But then what was done in the production...wow! I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but same goes for live shows. You can play a brilliant show, but if the sound folks don't do a good job, your good performance can come across as a bad show. Uh oh - this thread could quickly go astray! Back to business...ahem...yes, if the El Cap doesn't do the trick, I'll have to let it go for a while and just keep on with the making music thing! 

It was indeed! Also got to hear the raw vocal tracks for Bohemian Rhapsody - was great to hear, isolated, that super high falsetto at about 4 minutes in! Anyway, I got the El Capitan flashdrive but am on a deadline so must wait until next week to try the install. Will update for certain at that time! 

I'm using two Apple 27'' thunderbolt displays and an external thunderbolt SSD for samples. My MBP is 2012 and has one thunderbolt connection (no HDMI) which is connected to the 1st display, that one is daisy-chained to the 2nd display and from there it's daisy-chained to the SSD (all via thunderbolt). In your case - provided your display has a thunderbolt connection (you keep mentioning HDMI which I don't think can be daisy-chained as it's only an input port) - you could connect you Apollo to this 2nd monitor. Or you connect the monitors to the Apollo's thunderbolt port. Or you even could put it between display 1 and 2 in the daisy chain. If you have thunderbolt 2 it should be even faster than my connection which is working quite well. (I hope I understood you correctly ... apologize if this wasn't relevant at all for you ☺️)

• 5 weeks later...
Hi all - apologies for the silence over here. The day the El Cap drive arrived I was heading out of town. Just returned and successfully downloaded El Cap from the drive (thanks again fusbur)! The display monitors are both functioning properly, as is the Magic Mouse 2 (which started this whole escapade). Thank you for the above reply, mclight. And a very genuine thank you to all of you folks for your input on this issue - it has been truly appreciated! Conclusion: Sierra does not support my setup. Perhaps Apple will fix the issue, perhaps not. For now, I am up to date with LPX and will leave it at that so that I can press forward with the music, which is why we are all here ultimately! Cheers to you all.