ladies & gentlemen: high sierra (the public beta)

fisherking

so, i did it today (installed 10.13 public beta 3 on my macbook pro, my work machine (it's already on my 12" macbook). am on a break from mixing an EP. btw, am hoping i will not be lectured here (as i've been in the past) for running a beta OS and daring to call myself a ‘professional'. i AM a professional (just a reckless I MEAN adventurous one).

so. so far:

all good. i rebooted, opened logic (the audio units scanned, all ok). opened a complex project (a copy, in case) and messed it up (changing plugins, moving files around). not a hiccup. bear in mind, it’s only been about an hour. maybe tomorrow, files will evaporate, tempos will fluctuate, and all my 3rd-party plugins will refuse to open.

or maybe it will be fine. anyway, will report in, if there's anything to report (and/or will update this post with the next beta version). anyway, good news for logic X users!

EDIT: fyi, first bug: you can do a 'save as', but you can't see the text in the 'save as' window. annoying (but not life-threatening). 

I was wondering when you would start this thread. Very good news and I love that you do this. I may install the beta a bit further down the road just for the thrill of it.

Have you noticed (I know, it is new to you still) any speed advantages with the new file system involving (and not involving) Logic?

i want to use the word 'snappy' in general (using the new OS overall), but... not sure if that's real or imagined. so far logic is as stable and functional as it was in 10.12pb6 (and that was a great moment). am back to mixing, we'll see how things go.

was i wise to do this? if you wrestle a bear to protect your partner, that's brave. but if you pick a fight with a bear... 

i am a bear-fighting fool8-)

As I was between projects last week,  I got bored and installed High Sierra (public beta 3) but after 5 days had to go back to Sierra.  (It took 8 hours app.)

1. VE Pro 6 AU plug-in wasn't recognized (reproduced by VSL), when saving and renaming Logic typing wasn't visible (acknowledged by Apple), deleting an email in Apple Mail was really slow, and even Safari had issues where it would hang and I had to force quit.

Not gonna ever do that again :)

As I was between projects last week,  I got bored and installed High Sierra (public beta 3) but after 5 days had to go back to Sierra.  (It took 8 hours app.)

1. VE Pro 6 AU plug-in wasn't recognized (reproduced by VSL), when saving and renaming Logic typing wasn't visible (acknowledged by Apple), deleting an email in Apple Mail was really slow, and even Safari had issues where it would hang and I had to force quit.

Not gonna ever do that again :)

kudos for trying it!  8-)

outside of little quirks, PB3 is fine here, no mail or safari issues (but will keep an eye on things). fortunately, all my 3rd-party plugins work (but, as you yourself have seen, there's always something). will post if i find any other LX issues.

No more OS betas for me, takes too long to go back.

How are you liking those Eve monitors btw?

they're the little ones, the sc203's. usb connect! & good for travel, mobile work. paired with a presonus subwoofer, it's excellent. by themselves, pretty flat, clean, just (of course) no deep bass. but workable.

i'll probably keep running betas until i die... or my mac blows up (whichever comes first).

so... bouncing. you can't see the text in the 'save as' window there, which IS annoying as hell (and i've reported it). and the last letters of some text in the piano roll are missing (so i see 'edi" 'vie' 'scor')... could be a consequence of my rescaled monitor (buy hey, apple, that's no excuse).

..and in PB4, it's... worse. there IS no window next to 'save as' (to save the file with another name, or to bounce audio); so, right now, the file name will be whatever the logic file name is (and i'd have to change it later in the Finder). the missing letters have returned in the piano roll. but the save as window issue... hopefully, sigh, PB5.

otherwise, so far, everything else is stable, fast. so i can work (which is always, of course, the bottom line)...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just joined fisherking as the other 'nut' in this forum by installing the latest High Sierra. I have to say, I haven't run into any problems with Logic 10.3.2. My Apollo Twin Duo MKII and all of my third party plugins are working just fine (Soundtoys 5, iZotope, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Waves, Plugin Alliance, etc). My other installed programs are working perfectly as well, though I don't have too many installed to begin with. Safari and all other native OSX apps are noticeably snappier for me. 

Do not attempt to upgrade if you don't have a backup to fall back on. First iterations of HS were disastrous, but I'm not seeing any problems now.

I've just joined fisherking as the other 'nut' in this forum by installing the latest High Sierra.

I meant 'nut' in a completely respectful, and friendly way. :lol:

welcome aboard, anp27!

considering the situation, i personally accept all definitions of “nut”. anyway, working well here, just a few graphics quirks...

I installed PB7 tonight - did a quick test of LPX 10.3.2 with a project I finished a few months ago - I chose this one because there are between 50-60 audio tracks, a few with many plugins, nearly all with at least Slate's VTM (tape machine) and VMR (Mix Rack - multi plugs) and a several plugs on the 2 buss.

All my Slate and Waves plugs validated, Slate plugs all seem to be functioning as designed, performance is GREAT - a bit better than under whichever version of Sierra was current in April when I completed this project. For shits and giggles I lowered my i/o buffer to 32 to see how my machine would handle it - opened the CPU meter, all meters were at or below 50%. Previously I had to have the buffer set to 128 to play smoothly with clicks, glitches, etc. So there definitely seems to be an improvement.

I haven't tried a lot of stuff as this was just a quick run-through but so far so good.

Fisher - I saw in your signature last night that you were on pb7 - was wondering how it was doing for you. I haven't done much but I'm really seeing no problems with it on my machine.

PB7 running really well for me so far! In the previous OS version I used to get a white rectangle whenever I would input values into the Gain section (Inspector) but that problem is now gone :) I wasn't seeing any other issues apart from that one. No problem with third party plugins, apps, audio interface.. all working solidly.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Im running PB9 on my test machine and have sound flower running. If there is an error go ahead and reboot then make sure to check the "allow" tab in system preferences/security and privacy. Soundflowerbed loads fine also.

Aunetsend and aunetreceive work again !

The only 3rd party plugin Ive tried so far is AAS Tassman which is fine with the plugin and standalone and odd since on the 10.9 machine it lists as a 32 bit app. 

Geee, you're a bearfightingfool-for-sure :D

I'd dare to do this only on a tertiary not-used system, and then I'd be just too lazy to even start. I just lean back, relax and wait for all the reports coming in after the public release, then wait another year. And maybe then, and only then I'll upgrade. Probably even skip that one and wait the next OS. 

I'd dare to do this only on a tertiary not-used system, and then I'd be just too lazy to even start. I just lean back, relax and wait for all the reports coming in after the public release, then wait another year. And maybe then, and only then I'll upgrade. Probably even skip that one and wait the next OS. 

it really is 'whatever works'. the OS is just an OS, it's supposed to support the apps we use, and should, ideally, not intrude. and i know that the work (in this case, the music), is the important thing. i like 'new', and i like being challenged, but it's not for everyone. and no one has to prove anything (except, of course, that we can in fact make music). 

fwiw, 10.13 is out on sept 25th, and, for me, the current experience has been stellar; everything in logic is working (everything i use, anyway), and no weirdness, crashes, glitches (knock on unibody aluminum)....

am not getting overloads, stalls... sometimes, in sierra i needed to freeze tracks, which i'm not doing now. and i'd often create a 'zen' track (ie an empty track) and leave that selected when playing complex mixes; seemed to help the song play-thru without stalls, etc. fwiw, am always running the betas, so the experience (with both OSes), changes constantly.

faster overall? that may be imagined. with the final 10.13, everything is working, and logic seems stable (and dare i say it? happy...). as always, this is my experience, and not uinversal (as you know, everyone's plugins, setup, hardware are different).

...did you also implement the new file system?...and if so, what procedure did you follow?...tia.../s~

you'd have to google this for options; all i remember doing is installing the beta; am pretty sure the conversion was automatic on both my macs... and the new file system works without a hitch (but i do miss easyfind, which will be updated eventually, according to the developer)...

...no fusion drives, just internal ssd and external "spinning rust" for time-machine and msc.backup storage...it's that automatic part that worries me, been-there-done-that several times with ms-servers/etc. back in the day...and at the moment the "google waters" seem clouded as to the compatibility of HS/APFS and the "old" TimeMachine images.../s~

it really is 'whatever works'. the OS is just an OS, it's supposed to support the apps we use, and should, ideally, not intrude. and i know that the work (in this case, the music), is the important thing. i like 'new', and i like being challenged, but it's not for everyone. and no one has to prove anything (except, of course, that we can in fact make music). 

fwiw, 10.13 is out on sept 25th, and, for me, the current experience has been stellar; everything in logic is working (everything i use, anyway), and no weirdness, crashes, glitches (knock on unibody aluminum)....

I hope you weren't offended by my post. That was not the intention. And it was not the intention to prove you wrong, and me right. I was just writing about my thoughts, and I don't think you're wrong. 

A question: Do you have many 3rd party plugins? I have almost 400 installed. That's also a point that keeps my finger off of new OS ;) 

I hope you weren't offended by my post. That was not the intention. And it was not the intention to prove you wrong, and me right. I was just writing about my thoughts, and I don't think you're wrong. 

A question: Do you have many 3rd party plugins? I have almost 400 installed. That's also a point that keeps my finger off of new OS ;) 

dude, not offended at all! and i understand your concerns. 

am pretty-much a minimalist; if i don't need a plugin, i delete it. but all my synths/sources, and 90% of my effects are third-party, and everything's working. i mean it tho, whatever works; i do what i do to make myself happy (or happily-challenged), and respect what everyone else does (unless their music is terrible)...