Problem with incoming Midi from Ableton

Mark_Yark

Hi there,

i have an issue to route midi signals, coming from ableton live, to specific instruments in Logic.

I do this because i want to use max for live sequencers with Logic Instruments.

I work on mac OSX 10.10, ableton 9.6, logic 10.2

I added a new IAC port, but in Logic every Instrument listens to all incoming midi channels.

Regardless which channel i choose in the Instruments midi info.

The 'sum' out going to the sequencer input in the midi environment is disconnected!

I've routed the output of the IAC port thru the monitor and it listens to the specific midi port,

but the instrument doesn't care, it listens to all channels.

That's a problem as i want two or three logic instruments getting midi from different ableton tracks simultaneously.

Anyone who has a solution for this ?

Many thanks in advance!!

Mark

thank you Jordi, but this was all set.

I think the problem is that if you have only one channel in logic open, it receives on all channels.

As soon as i open another one, both of them listening to the appropriate midi channel.

Maybe a bug in this logic version..

i was trying around only with one instrument..

all solved now

Hi,

The only way to do it (if you need to also record the incoming data) is by following the steps in that guide to the letter. 

I know for a fact this works, even in the version you're using. 

If, on the other hand, you don't need to record the incoming data, you can always route it directly to the software instrument channel strip objects in Logic's MIDI environment....or use a Scripter plugin script route data on specific MIDI channels to the instrument you choose.

J.

You know what? Since you mentioned IAC I decided to do a little test and this is what I'm getting:

If I use IAC bus #1 to send data on MIDI channel 1 and MIDI channel 2, only the data on MIDI Channel 2 triggers an instrument (even though the data on MIDI Channel 1 is coming in for sure).

If I switch to sending the data on a different IAC bus (2, 3 ,etc) then both MIDI Channel 1 and 2 trigger the instruments as expected. Crazy! I'm on Sierra these days. Seems like a bug with IAC? I get the same results sending MIDI from different software through IAC.

Check if that's your issue.

Best,

J.