change bpm without changing midi-regions

yoschi123

Hello,

I'm looking for hours for a solution for my problem and i didn't find the right answer yet.

Here's my Problem.

Our drummer recorded with his e-drum a concert. Know i have a big project with one midi-region.

He played all with an audio-click i created for playing before. For every song i created a separate project with an (global) tempo track before the concert. In some songs the tempo is not constant. Sometimes the song becomes faster or slower (like the tempo track).

Now i tried to paste the tempo tracks from the single projects in the large project from the concert.

The tempo track in the concert-project was at 120 bpm.

Then i realized, when i paste the individual tempo tracks to the right passage of the large region he recorded, the tempo from the midi-regions is totally confused.

I tried smpte.... here is the problem, i can use smpte, paste the tempo track and then the region is not at the right position.... Then i must deactivate smpte to move the region to the right position of the tempo track, but when i deactivate smpte, the region accept the tempo from the wrong position (for example a slower part of the song) an after i moved the region to the right position, it is wrong again.... It's hard for me to explain... I hope you can understand what i'm saying.

Please help me, I'm almost desperate...

Kindest regards

Daniel

If I understand you well, you intend to quantize a recorded MIDI drum region to a project tempo (which itself contains tempo fluctuations).

In such case, have you considered, creating a MIDI region containing tempo clicks (quantized note events), which you could use as groove track to which you quantize your imported drummer recorded MIDI region. You might need to time-stretch (or squeeze) that drummer MIDI region to makes its downbeats correspond to the project beat.

Perhaps making use of different Tempo Sets (switching between them) could be useful as well.

OTOH, if you wish to maintain the recorded drummer MIDI region its original rythm tempo, against the project's tempo you intend to import to, I think an easy approach would be to bounce it so you end up with an audio version of it. Importing that drummer audio version would allow you to retain its original tempo, create the tempo changes in your big project, move/align the drummer (now audio) region in desired position, without it changing its original groove until you use Flex-time on it.