Logic compatibility for Sierra 10.12.4

andromedanwarmachine

Hello team,

Jim-from-Edinburgh here.

I'm sorry to appear 'pop' out of the blue, to ask this and attempt to pick-your-brains, with only a single post; it must seem a bit rude; but I'm out of my depth, and am hoping someone has a moment to straighten me out.

I'm a sound-guy, not a technology-guy! (so to speak)

I've just come into posession of a Macbook running Sierra 10.12.4 (exotic in 2019, eh?) and foolishly thought I could install my old version of Logic Studio in it. This package apparently incorporates Logic Pro 9. After much fooling around, and a forty minute install time, I discovered that this isn't compatible with the machine.

Would anyone be in a position to say which exact flavour of Logic I need to attempt to source, to be able to get rolling again? I've spent a bit of time looking into this, and it seems I could go on looking into it forever, or start spending money and guessing.

Perhaps someone is uniquely placed to know- I would be very grateful if such an individual could step forwards and assist.

Thanks for your time

JimP

I was going to attach a link to a piece of my work, but I don't know if that is against forum-rules..?

On Sierra one can run Logic Pro X v.10.4 (up to 10.4.3, IIRW).

For the current LPX version (v.10.4.6), High Sierra (OSX v.10.13.6) is required.

If possible, I'd recommend updating your OSX to High Sierra, via Apple Store (that is free).

Speaking of price, purchasing Logic Pro X (one shot deal), done on Apple store, entitles you to all the available LPX versions so far.

Hey Atlas-

that is dynamite; thank you for your feedback. Gosh; that's waves upon waves of things to take on!

Right; I'll need to get investigating!

onto another question- will this machine take High Sierra? To quote from 'about my Mac'-

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core i5

(I don't suppose the other stats are relevant!?)

I don't make 'music' in the classical sense; so if you are feeling brave-

thanks for your help so far!

JimP

Thanks for the compatibility note. I have heard many horror stories about High Sierra. Is it a good operating system for this computer:

1751275881_ScreenShot2019-07-13at12_37_03PM.png.dfc87fbafb10046b2642ba00dd10aead.png

Also, I depend on Quick Time Player 7 and have heard that it goes kaput at a certain update point, never to return. Does anyone have more info on that, and/or a good replacement for the many simple and wonderful things QT Player 7 can do? Sorry for multiple questions, but they all relate to Compatibility

Thanks

DanRad

I am running High Sierra (10.13.6) and have both QT 7.6.6 and QT 10.4 and they both seem to work just fine.

I hesitated for a long while going from Sierra to H.sierra but HS just seems like a faster Sierra now.

H.S warns you about that 32/64 bit stuff but things still work anyway.

It's Mojave I fear now.

Edited by Jangus

Apple has this habit to come up every year or so, with new OS(X), introducing new features or improvements. Some are worthwhile, while others I would personnally consider as futile sometimes. In this (constant) ongoing process, incompatibility issues are prone to inevitably occur; but also, cpu resources requirements augment as well. Thus, after a certain number of OS updates, one is somewhat coerced to purchase a new computer to be able to keep up with the latest version of his/her predilection software (such as Logic).

That seems to be part of Apple's business plan.

Anyhow, if you have a (compatible) Apple computer, Logic remains undisputably the "best bang for the money" DAW one could own. Besides, despite the multitude of posted gripes which this forum is funneling, Logic is also one of the best music creative tool around, and in some aspects the very best as well...

My 2 cents... 8-)

Hey Atlas-

that is dynamite; thank you for your feedback. Gosh; that's waves upon waves of things to take on!

Right; I'll need to get investigating!

onto another question- will this machine take High Sierra? To quote from 'about my Mac'-

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core i5

(I don't suppose the other stats are relevant!?)

I didn't update to Mojave (yet) for (3rd party plugin) compatibility reason.

If you are new to Mac and don't have software (plugins, apps, etc...) / hardware (soundcard, MIDI or audio devices, keyboard or controllers, etc) compatibility concerns, I don't think that would be a problem to try Mojave. I think that if your computer isn't compatible, trying to install Mojave from the Apple Store will alert you about same and won't allow it.

I don't make 'music' in the classical sense; so if you are feeling brave-

Interesting ambient sonical experience!

thanks for your help so far!

JimP

Anytime!

Thanks Atlas-

That's tremendous. Thanks for going into detail on that.

No- I've been a Mac user for ten years: my old MacBook went-over last year.

My own practise doesn't involve any plug-ins or virtual-instruments or midi-devices, it's just manipulation of found sounds- so I don't ask much from the software.

I've just re-read your opening comments- so if I go to High Sierra: I'll be able to run LPX v10.4.6, and nothing earlier?

Logic compatibility for High Sierra STARTS with v10.4.6 ?

I've just re-read your opening comments- so if I go to High Sierra: I'll be able to run LPX v10.4.6, and nothing earlier?

Logic compatibility for High Sierra STARTS with v10.4.6 ?

AFAIK, you'll be able to run any/all version of Logic Pro X (available so far) on High Sierra. However, I would recommend to go directly for LPX v.10.4.6, since this current version encompasses many many new useful features and that litterally hundreds of bugs and glitches have been ironed out since the first LPX version. And that at no additional cost. LPX v.10.4 onward require at least High Sierra. For future LPX version, only time will tell...

If you intend to use Logic Pro 9 (or earlier versions), I don't know for sure, but IIRW, I read somewhere that it is not supported on High Sierra...