Logic ABSOLUTELY messed up bus assignments after opening a project?!

Ploki

Hello!

I'm experiencing this same issue at the moment. I'm not scoring film, and my project currently has only 15-ish tracks, so it's not a huge issue. It's happened once before and left me so confused.

What happened this time:

My first three busses were aux tracks for reverb, delay, and compound delay, respectively. I opened the project this morning and found that aux 1 was renamed "delay," aux 2 was renamed "compound delay," and bus 3 was assigned to a summing stack. All of the plugins on the channel strips were correct, but the names had been rotated and one of my busses was missing.

All of the sends on individual tracks were preserved as well.

This isn't a huge deal on a smaller project, but I have seen this on other, larger projects of mine. It can take hours to repair, which is the last thing you want when you're in the middle of a big project.

I haven't opened up any other projects simultaneously, so I don't think that's the issue in my case.

If you have any more ideas, or you need more information, please let me know!

• Like 1

Hi.. wondering if any new info was available on this - I have the same problem / experience as Ploki: large 5.1 template with almost all busses used, recently switched to a new interface and bus assignments all messed up.

I have also had it before when taking projects on my Mac to a studio with a different audio interface to me. Definitely seems to be a change of hardware that causes the assignments to change.

Needless to say it's unworkable - would love to know if anyone has found any more info / solutions

I always use a simple Behringer interface, but occasionally have a Line 6 HX Stomp connected as well. When the HX Stomp is connected, it assumes the first 8 inputs and places the Behringer as 9 and 10. I wonder if starting a project with one set of inputs and opening it with another causes the metronome to disappear/busses to shuffle.

Hi.. wondering if any new info was available on this - I have the same problem / experience as Ploki: large 5.1 template with almost all busses used, recently switched to a new interface and bus assignments all messed up.

I have also had it before when taking projects on my Mac to a studio with a different audio interface to me. Definitely seems to be a change of hardware that causes the assignments to change.

Needless to say it's unworkable - would love to know if anyone has found any more info / solutions

iirc if i disabled physical input in settings, it ended up loading okay regardless of which interface is in use

For anyone else having this issue - I can confirm that Ploki's work-around appears to work. Change 'Input Device' to 'none' in Preferences > Devices before opening your project and the bus routings don't get messed up

It happened something similar to me recently. Multiple times too. After reopening an old project I find it to be completely messed up. The plugins are in the wrong tracks. Some tracks got even muted and the region appeared grey and it could not be changed in any way. Thank goodness I found other uses who encountered the same issues on older posts and they used the automatic backup (File -> Revert to -> Backup). The first time this happened I don't rememer if I had two projects open at the same time. This time, however, I can confirm that I had two logic projects open at the same time. I really hope this to never happen again! It also made me consider to make many many more project alternatives and it made me consider to save a backup project on an external drive too.

• 1 month later...
It happened something similar to me recently. Multiple times too. After reopening an old project I find it to be completely messed up. The plugins are in the wrong tracks. Some tracks got even muted and the region appeared grey and it could not be changed in any way. Thank goodness I found other uses who encountered the same issues on older posts and they used the automatic backup (File -> Revert to -> Backup). The first time this happened I don't rememer if I had two projects open at the same time. This time, however, I can confirm that I had two logic projects open at the same time. I really hope this to never happen again! It also made me consider to make many many more project alternatives and it made me consider to save a backup project on an external drive too.

I've just been trying to work through something that seems very similar to what you experienced. I have a pretty large project—83 tracks—I went to do "File > Movie > Export Audio to Movie...", and after it finished the tracks were all messed up. Actually, they were messed up to the movie to as well, which is super weird. I only noticed when I went to verify the movie before putting it up on Dropbox for my collaborator. From what I can tell, it just messed up the track list, so that the MIDI regions were associated with the wrong instruments/tracks. Super confusing and kinda terrifying. Apple better sort this s#!+ out. That's two ***BAD*** bugs I've hit in Logic in the last few months. Up until then I honestly hadn't encountered this kind of thing... (and I've been using Logic since... well... since it was Notator!).

I think what might have happened is that, when I went to do the export, I accidentally released the mouse on "Import Audio from Movie" (right above the menu item I wanted). The original movie's audio was inserted at the top, but since I didn't want it, I just hit undo. The track was removed, but I suspect that's when the track list got completely banjaxed. So an undo that affected the track list was probably to blame. I may try to replicate at, and if it's reproducible, send it to Apple.

Same as Zenrool, I was able to rescue it by reverting to an older version.

I'm on Catalina, Macbook Pro 2019, Logic 10.5.1.

Logic seems to scramble all my aux, bus, inst & audio track routings rendering the project useless. Just wanted to share for anyone experiencing this problem.

This has happened to me several times but ONLY when comping. The specific action that triggers it involves either using the "Export active comp to new track" or "Unpack to new tracks" functions. To my knowledge these functions alone don't cause the glitch but using the "Undo" function after unpacking seems to, suggesting that the glitch is a result of tracks being consolidated into a comp via undo.

Since there doesn't seem to be a solution at this current version of Logic (don't want to update) my workaround has been saving before performing any of these functions and if the problem occurs I simply quit the project without saving and reopen the previously saved version. However if I refrain from using undo after unpacking the problem has never occurred. Before I had this foresight the only viable solution was restoring from a time machine backup.

Hope this helps anyone looking for answers, it's only a minor inconvenience for me at this point.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I just had the same issue.

I opened my project today to find all buss routings were altered, and also channel strip settings (e.g. EQs, Reverbs, etc.) were altered. It was like the channel strip settings were all shifted to -1 of its original positions. Luckily this is a small project that I hadn't started mixing on, but it still took me about 15 - 30 minutes to restore everything by hand to its original state.

The only thing I can think of that may have contributed to it, is that I have summing stacks within summing stacks. I have two mics on the kick that are routed to a "kick buss", and the kick buss is routed to the drum buss together with the other drum elements. I had to jump through a few hoops to make this happen which makes me think Logic isn't supposed to do this. It is explained in this video. I basically made a folder stack for all the drum elements, then made an auxillary track where the drum elements were routed to, and pressed "Create track" on the auxillary track which turns it into a summing stack, then drag all the drum elements into this new summing stack and route them correctly, and then delete the original folder stack as this has no use anymore.

This is the only thing I can think of that is a user-sided cause of the problem. I have not altered anything else since last working on this project 2 days ago.

40 minutes ago, ThomasH said:

Hello everyone,

I just had the same issue.

I opened my project today to find all buss routings were altered, and also channel strip settings (e.g. EQs, Reverbs, etc.) were altered. It was like the channel strip settings were all shifted to -1 of its original positions. Luckily this is a small project that I hadn't started mixing on, but it still took me about 15 - 30 minutes to restore everything by hand to its original state.

The only thing I can think of that may have contributed to it, is that I have summing stacks within summing stacks. I have two mics on the kick that are routed to a "kick buss", and the kick buss is routed to the drum buss together with the other drum elements. I had to jump through a few hoops to make this happen which makes me think Logic isn't supposed to do this. It is explained in this video. I basically made a folder stack for all the drum elements, then made an auxillary track where the drum elements were routed to, and pressed "Create track" on the auxillary track which turns it into a summing stack, then drag all the drum elements into this new summing stack and route them correctly, and then delete the original folder stack as this has no use anymore.

This is the only thing I can think of that is a user-sided cause of the problem. I have not altered anything else since last working on this project 2 days ago.

Hello everyone,

In addition to my previous post,

I just found this Topic on this Forum:

This is probably the explanation. I was comping vocals today, and I accidentally made a new track out of one of the takes within a comp. I pressed undo. I hadn't noticed anything wrong until about half an hour later as I could still comp the vocals correctly. I wrote earlier that this bug happened upon opening the project, but in hindsight it may have happened while I was working on it.

5 hours ago, polanoid said:

Are you on Logic 10.7.4 already? It's supposed to be fixed there

Okay, it just happened again. I can confirm for 100% that this bux is not fixed in 10.7.4. I pressed undo after accidentally making new 2 tracks out of 2 takes in 2 region in 2 different tracks; 1 of those takes was accidentally still selected, I only wanted to make a new track out 1 of those. Afterwards everything was f up again.

Maybe it has something to do with having summing stacks within summing stacks as I described earlier. The summing stack for my toms that is routed to a summing stack for the drum buss, had suddenly been turned into a folder stack.

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Can you describe exactly what you did? „Making 2 new tracks out of 2 takes“ isn‘t very clear. What Logic commands did you use?

I tried recreating it to try and find out why it happened, but I was not able to recreate it. I don't really know what I did what triggered it the first 2 times. I tried both pressing the "Export take to New Track", "Move Take to New Track", "Move Active Comp to New Track" And "Export Active Comp to New Track" but neither of those 4 now trigger the bug.

Next time when it happens, I promise to come with a more thorough analysis and explanation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

The bug is still out there and I just caught it. 

Logic Pro X 10.7.4

mac OS Monterey 12.6

The bug happens when you record a comp track, then export just one take as a separate track and then click UNDO. Then all AUX and Channel strip settings get messed up. See below

Did anyone else get it?

ezgif-3-ec1b4750ef.gif

• Like 2

Yes, I reported it yesterday.

But what I also found that you can restore the session. When this happened I opened UNDO history window and undid the last step of undoing exporting track and everything went back to normal! I tried this a couple of times with different amount of busses and software instruments and every time the bug messed up all channels, I was able to undo the damage from the undo history window. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

SOLVED (for this one painful project, at least)...

Okay.. I had this problem and it was on a 40+ track project. When I went to bed last night, the project is in great shape. Logic did crash overnight while my laptop was asleep (got the crash report window when I woke up my laptop this morning)... but this happens all the time when I forget to quit Logic before closing my laptop (stupid bug in the first place - and I don't know if it's related). ANYWAY.. when I oped the project this morning, it was horribly messed up, and no version of opening backups would help. Tracks were routed to random busses with channel strip settings changed all over the place and it was a horrible mess. I tried the trick of disabling audio input when opening the project but that didn't work. Same with disabling core audio when opening.

I didn't have multiple projects open.

I did not have SMPTE movie data from a movie audio file.

Nothing out of the ordinary of my usual production approaches except ONE THING: I had been using Freeze Tracks for the first time.

I opened the project and when I hit the spacebar to play it, it didn't play.. but the play head did a run-through like it was updating freezed tracks (but didn't open the Freeze Tracks progress popup). When I hit the spacebar to play again, it was all messed up.

So what I did was this: 

I opened the project. But before I tried to play it, I unfroze all tracks that had been frozen and deleted all Hidden tracks that I no longer needed. Then I Saved and Closed the project - so there were no frozen tracks and it was in a clean state. When I re-opened it, it played fine!!! What an ENORMOUS relief. This is a horrible bug and I have no idea what's going on. The only new thing in my case was trying to use Freeze Tracks for the first time.

But who knows.. that may not be it at all. I sure hope nobody has to go through this.

BTW - Two other bugs I noticed while working on this project in the past couple of days... The Loop Browser stopped playing loops. I couldn't get them to play. And new Software Instruments would only open Vintage Electric Piano when I crated a new one. No idea if those are related or not.

Thank god I'm not doing this professionally at the moment or I would be furious. But it's definitely killing the creative flow I had going. 😞

Edited by Jax Jamz
to say SOLVED at the top
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I am having the same issue, seems to be brought on by pasting tracks from one project into another. Had both projects open simultaneously. All my routings are mixed up, whole busses are gone. Tracks are routed to other, non-aux, non-bus, tracks. My whole project is messed up. And the ironic thing is that this happened while trying salvage a project that had somehow become corrupted (wouldn't even play, glitched out) by pasting the audio and midi regions into a new, fresh project. After pasting everything into a new template, now I have a new, perhaps even worse problem.