Safe to upgrade to macOS Catalina yet?

Jonathan Levine

I’m personally waiting. Not that it is necessarily a problem, as you can see many people running it successfully. A small search in the internet will find people having problems. It just depends a lot on what you’re using. My philosophy is that until I actually “need” something that catalina provides I will stick with what I know is working.

I highly reccomend you run the go64 utility which will help locate apps And drivers that may have problems in terms of being 32bit. You may be surprised what you find.

For my part I am sticking with mojave most likely until is update becomes mandatory to get latest logicpro. At that time I will probably be skipping catalina and possibly skipping Big Sur. At some point it will make sense. Right now I have zero compelling reason to mess around with it.

Also part of the question is do you have any 32bit apps you will be sad to lose? I do. Running go64 reveals a dozen little apps that I don't use often but I do use sometimes and they are 32bit...who knows if and when they will ever be ported to 64bit. In some cases, never. So at some point I have to give up using those in order to move forward with Catalina+. And at some point I will definitely do that, but not until there is some compelling reason that I actually need to do so....and the gains outweigh the losses.

Really Great help this thread. Much appreciated.

Thanks Dewdman42 for the heads up with 'Go64'

Surprising what isn't 64bit compatible... including Apple apps (eg Final Cut Pro). I assume they would catch up with an upgrade of OS?

Also, Go64 didn't find my:

• AVID ProTools Quartet Audio
    SoundQuest
    Garritan/Aria PO
    MOTU MIDI drivers,

Anybody using any of the above on Catalina and are there any problems?

Thanks

Surprising what isn't 64bit compatible... including Apple apps (eg Final Cut Pro). I assume they would catch up with an upgrade of OS?

SoundQuest
    Garritan/Aria PO
    MOTU MIDI drivers,

Thanks

Latest MOTU MIDI drivers work fine on Catalina. I need them to use my MTP-AV / ClockWorks.

However I recently got an Apple system alert telling that they will need to be updated to remain compatible on Big Sur.

SoundQuest
    Garritan/Aria PO
    MOTU MIDI drivers,

Thanks

huh? FCPX has been 64-bit for some time, and runs in catalina perfectly...

Does anyone know WHAT specifically is changing in Big Sur to render so many plugins inoperative compared to catalina? I’m guessing it’s security related or perhaps the new kext system they have been taking about but just wondering if anyone knows anything?

this is what i got from u-he:

"Apple is changing the AU code ever so often, there are multiple ways to build AU plugins. It just happens that Apple again changed or removed some code, which now makes our plugins invisible to the system."

Just a wild guess (perhaps somewhat educated): as Apple moves iOS and MacOS to more parity, the AU code is going to be tweaked and break plugs. I’m guessing in addition to security, it’s in service to bring Logic to the iPad. Especially when the Macs are all running Apple Silicon.

Does anyone know WHAT specifically is changing in Big Sur to render so many plugins inoperative compared to catalina? I’m guessing it’s security related or perhaps the new kext system they have been taking about but just wondering if anyone knows anything?

this is what i got from u-he:

"Apple is changing the AU code ever so often, there are multiple ways to build AU plugins. It just happens that Apple again changed or removed some code, which now makes our plugins invisible to the system."

Thanks for that. Here is his full post and thread about it on KVR: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550513

I think I will shoot an email to him directly and see if I can find out more. Anyway, I'm sure they won't be the only plugin affected by this and its probably extremely good advise to wait a minute before upgrading to Big Sur...

ooh...

I must have missed this. Thanks, I use u-he in every damn project.

yeah, sigh. i spent 2 days trying to get those plugins to show (terminal tricks, permissions tricks, magic tricks). emailed u-he and others, and they confirmed their need to update. so, back to catalina for now.

someone over at KVR said that u-he apparently works on Big Sur 11?

for any machine its generally a good idea to TRY to update to a spare drive. Clone your main boot drive to a spare drive and update it and try it out fully...keeping the original boot drive untouched. Some OSX updates are less invasive then others making this step less necessary but I personally would not think of updating to Catalina, much less BigSur without doing this step.

for any machine its generally a good idea to TRY to update to a spare drive. Clone your main boot drive to a spare drive and update it and try it out fully...keeping the original boot drive untouched. Some OSX updates are less invasive then others making this step less necessary but I personally would not think of updating to Catalina, much less BigSur without doing this step.

i've run every beta since the public beta program began (1800's i think); have had some, uh, challenging moments, but... i've always been able to work. so this is literally the first time i couldn't find any workarounds (& i tried all sorts of extraordinary things). so it goes

i'll probably update on my non-essential laptop and wait on the studio machine for a month or two

so you can keep your moustache

i'm running all the big sur betas on my macbook (i don't use that for logic or FCPX); it's mostly fine, a little beta-y in places, but i can do everything i need). plus will keep my moustache...

@ Fisherking
huh? FCPX has been 64-bit for some time, and runs in catalina perfectly...

Great to know that there are no issues for FCP on 10.15.

I should have been clearer - FCP was identified by Go64 as having 32bit components for QT file handling, not as being a 64bit incompatible program...FCP Warning.png

FCP n QT.png

yes some video formats are dead in catalina