Pitching and Sampling Audio Files

Scorwitz

But the don’t have sequences do they? I want to be able to pitch all the samples percussion or otherwise and use a sequencer to arranging them, drag them in and have them be pitchable.

I sore I could just live play them in on a midi keyboard but wanted to be able to generate more ideas with the step view.

You might want to spend some time reading the Ultrabeat manual if you're not sure how it works.

Every pattern (of which there are many) in a kit can use any of the 25 sounds/samples in that kit on any step. Each sound has a tune parameter, and you can also automate the tuning on every step if you want. So what you want to do is perfectly possible, you just need to familiarise yourself with how it works a little bit...

Everything online says to pitch things, mostly high hats, there is only one step for that, Sample 25. What’s different about it than the others. Also not sure where there’s am official Ultrabeat manual

There is one sound where you can play that voice like a pitched keyboard. All the rest are drum sounds, where you set the pitch for the sound just like a snare drum has an inherent pitch - you don't play a snare drum like a keyboard.

The manual is under your "Help" menu in Logic, or online: https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4.7/

Ultrabeat is a drum machine, not a general purpose sampler for keyboard parts etc. That final pitched voice is really intended as a quick way to include a bass line or something simple in a drum pattern.

If you want a general purpose sampler, as you say, use the EXS24 (or deeper, Alchemy). If you want a grid, use Logic's piano roll or step editor.

If you really want to use Ultrabeat, then there is nothing stopping you using 24 instances of Ultrabeat, each only using that one pitched slot. it's a bit more cumbersome, but then I don't really now what you are trying to do, so it might be useful...

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm. I could have sworn I'd replied to this, but I wanted to say thank you. I find the EXS24 interface to be unuser-friendly to say the least, but I know that I can do it there. I just can't imagine that someone else hasn't come up with an easier and more fun plug-in to use. Back to the endless stream of youtube videos I guess.