EXS24 Issue - "The first region is used in the Tracks area - Can't change the region border".

daniellondon

Hi,

This problem has been reported before on this forum but there doesn't seem to be a definite solution.

So I imported a .wav sample into logic, chopped it up, then selected all the chopped samples and right clicked and selected Convert To New Sampler Track. The samples play fine in EXS24 but when I open the edit window in EXS24 I keep getting the following error message:

"The first region is used in the Tracks area - Can't change the region border".

I read that this error sometimes appears when the sample instrument isn't saved, but it is saved.

Also, I'm not sure if it's meant to be this way - but when I go into the editor, EXS hasn't saved each region I chopped up as a separate sample, it's just using the original sample file when I click reveal sample in finder. If that's the reason for the error then is it a bug? Because it seems counter intuitive that Logic has this great 'Convert to sampler' feature which doesn't work. It would be silly if you have to first bounce each sample in place before you can convert them to a sampler instrument. Can't logic do this automatically?

Screenshot-2020-03-30-at-23-57-46.png

Hm. I've seen this before but can't replicate this right now, neither with a file recorded in the same project nor with an external file. What happens if you remove the Regions from the Tracks, like the message indicates ?

And the EXS Zones reflecting the original Regions in the original audio file(s) is the expected behaviour.

Hm. I've seen this before but can't replicate this right now, neither with a file recorded in the same project nor with an external file. What happens if you remove the Regions from the Tracks, like the message indicates ?

And the EXS Zones reflecting the original Regions in the original audio file(s) is the expected behaviour.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the issue was documented here although doesn’t seem to have been fully resolved / explained:

viewtopic.php?t=138451

It’s strange because I’m not trying to do anything with the regions or samples. The message literally just keeps popping up as soon as you click the EXS24 edit windows and continuously during playback, even after you press OK. You have to minimise the plugin for it to stop appearing.

If you want to try and replicate it, save a 3 minute+ audio track on your desktop. Import it into Logic. Chop up 5 short sections of the track (few seconds each), highlight them all and then right click and select convert to new sampler instrument. (I’m on Catalina with the latest LPX version).

I deleted the regions and it didn’t do change anything, I then deleted the original track and EXS just gave a ‘Missing’ error.

So I guess my question now remains

1) What’s the purpose of this error?

2) Why can’t Logic do what is necessary to avoid it? I mean I’m not trying to do anything strange. Just use some samples which are chopped up.

Trying to replicate with a short audio file and I can't. Does it have to be 3+ minutes?

Interesting. I opened up a new project and I couldn't replicate the issue, I then looked carefully at the original project which has the issue and realised the problem is most likely caused if you create a duplicate copy of the track. I was able to replicate this in an empty project.

I have attached a video.

So in my workflow, I have a bounced track which was originally sped up / pitch shifted in EXS24. I then create a duplicate version of this bounced track which I can use for chopping. I'm not sure if this is necessary but I do this to avoid cutting the original version in case I accidentally delete something. So it seems like if I delete the original version, I no longer get this error in EXS24.

So yeah, what's the issue with having a duplicate version of the track? It's not as if it's affecting the sample playback in anyway. Maybe its just a coding / programming anomaly.

https://streamable.com/8woz6

P.S. It's interesting that when I press Edit > Undo Delete, the track only reverts back to the first region which was chopped. You can see this in the video. It's as if the original and duplicate are linked in some weird way.

Hehe. We know many things. Not everything, though. But we do know that Emagic is no more since like 18 years or so.

Since we couldn't replicate it but you could, you're now the expert in the room. Use that privilege wisely.

My friend. I told you how to replicate it. I even made a screen recording. Maybe make an effort to read my full reply after I made the effort to investigate the issue further. Not for my benefit, for the benefit of everybody if it is in case a bug.

And emagic is emagic, most of the same people for 20 years in the same German office in Rellingen. They just put an Apple sticker on it. Although they might have moved a year or two ago.

No worries guys, not gong to waste my time on a forum where the owner just gives up and doesn't even bother replying if there isn't a super easy explanation. Especially since I spent a lot of time in my second post explaining what exactly causes the issue. I'm returning my LPX 10.4 book and maybe even sticking to Studio One where the forums are much more helpful and actual support from the company exists. Good luck everyone!

Hey man, ease off a little. You're 4 days in and you think you have the measure of this forum and it's members? Like fuzzfilth (kind of) said, even if we could recreate the issue there's nothing we can do about other than find a work around, which is what we for every situation like this.

Since you found the bug, as well, it would be good practice to let Apple know by submitting it here https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html with all the information you have, and maybe a link this thread, and hopefully they'll find a way to fix it!

Software is complex stuff, if you found a strange behaviour it isn't like they intentionally built the weird behaviour in. Developers can not prepare for how a user is going to use the program, and so, in certain situations, what you think shouldn't be a problem for the program (based on what you know it can do) might just create a situation the developers weren't expecting, and you get errors like the one you're getting.

You've obviously been doing this a while so why not do what we all (should) do when we get a problem we can't resolve, which is find a way round it and report it to the developer.