Pitch Bend Issue

logic8mine

Love to resolve this once and for all. Whenever I start playback mid project, (in this case measure 27), if that measure is immediately preceded by PB events, Logic ignores the zero PB values that cancel the PB and plays a yet 'effected' note depending on the type of bend. In this case, a whole step down. It also ignores attemps to insert zero value PB after the measure start, so that the note will play the proper pitch (as seen in the pic). Of course, if I play the bend in it's entirety, everything plays fine. This just is not always desireable for time management. This has been a nagging issue for me.

Any solution?

193657347_ScreenShot2020-04-16at10_31_50PM.png.be45b18191a4416b6f660318c5c19f41.png

If you start playback at 27 1 1 1, then Logic will not playback the pitchbend value that is on 26 4 4 218, therefore that value doesn't affect playback. Instead, the last pitchbend value received by the instrument still applies.

You can either start playback before 26 4 4 218, or make you "chase" pitch bend events: choose File > Project Settings > MIDI > Chase and make sure Pitch Bend is selected.

On 10.4.8, I don't have that problem...

I have had this occur in every single iteration of Logic begining with Logic 8. I'll update my signature.

If you start playback at 27 1 1 1, then Logic will not playback the pitchbend value that is on 26 4 4 218, therefore that value doesn't affect playback. Instead, the last pitchbend value received by the instrument still applies.

You can either start playback before 26 4 4 218, or make you "chase" pitch bend events: choose File > Project Settings > MIDI > Chase and make sure Pitch Bend is selected.

To be clear, what are you saying is the last PB value received?

If I start playback @ 27 1 1 1, Logic plays the -8192 value and ignores the 0 PB values both before and after the start of the measure 27. The instrument, in this case a bass guitar, continues playing a whole step down. So again, If I play from measure 26 1 1 1, the PB alters the note and resolves @ 27 1 1 1. If I then stop the transport and play the instrument, the bass plays at correct pitch. If I then strart @ 27 1 1 1, the bass is tuned down the whole step ignoring the -5760 value, the -2304 value and each 0 value.

To be clear, what are you saying is the last PB value received?

Whatever the last pb value was sent to the instrument the last time you stopped playback. So if you had pb set to -63 and then stopped, then that's the value that's going to be used by the instrument when you resume playback, no matter the playback start position.

If I start playback @ 27 1 1 1, Logic plays the -8192 value and ignores the 0 PB values both before and after the start of the measure 27.

Ah? Ok that's not the expected behavior then. It should ignore the value before, but not the other after. Can you save a copy of that project file, remove everything but that track and that note and those pb events to make it very simple, and attach it here? I'll have a look. How to attach files to your post

• 11 months later...

Has anyone found out anything more about this topic? I've just spent two hours dealing with it myself. The plugin is the Roland Cloud Jupiter 8. I've got two regions of MIDI notes, with pitch bend near the end of the first region, and right at the very start of the second region. If I start the song in the first region, then all pitch bends work fine. If I start the song at the beginning of the second region, Logic ignores the pitch bend information in the second region, and plays with only the pitch bend information from the first region.

I've got Chase on for pitch bend, and when I turn it off, it seems to "fix" it, but I'm guessing this will have negative effects elsewhere. I'm thinking the outcome is supposed to be that having Chase selected will look for pitch bend information before the selected start time, but should NOT ignore subsequent pitch bend information, right? Is this a bug, or is there something I'm missing? Thanks.

Has anyone found out anything more about this topic? I've just spent two hours dealing with it myself. The plugin is the Roland Cloud Jupiter 8. I've got two regions of MIDI notes, with pitch bend near the end of the first region, and right at the very start of the second region. If I start the song in the first region, then all pitch bends work fine. If I start the song at the beginning of the second region, Logic ignores the pitch bend information in the second region, and plays with only the pitch bend information from the first region.

The instrument plug-in shouldn't matter, so let's troubleshoot this:

1. Save a "test" copy of your project.

2. In the copy, remove all tracks but the one exhibiting the issue.

3. Replace the Roland plug-in with one of Logic's synths.

Can you reproduce the issue? If yes, attach the test copy here: How to attach files to your post

Hmm... While they might be connected under the hood, they don't appear the same on the surface. I'm not having issues (at least not visually) with interpolation, and I'm also using region automation on two different regions, whereas in that other thread, it seems to be a single region, with issues within the region, rather than across regions. Again, maybe related, not sure.

As you can see below (if I attached the image correctly), there are two regions bordering bar 17. The pitch bend drops to -whatever near the end of bar 16 (the edit list shows no events past 16.4.4.something), and then is back to 0 at the start of bar 17 (17.1.1.1). However, if I start the playhead at 17.1.1.1, it does not pick up that automation point of 0. If I leave the automation at 17.1.1.1 and move the note to 17.1.1.2, it doesn't help. Nor if it's Pitch bend at 17.1.1.2 and note at 7.1.1.3. The order of things doesn't matter. The only way that value of 0 at 17.1.1.1 will be registered is if I start the playhead in bar 16.

David - thanks. I don't have time tonight, but I'll both test that out, and look deeper into the other thread, this weekend.

1082785200_ScreenShot2021-04-08at10_25_29PM.thumb.png.37f6cb5244bc84d5b43185dbf4b7eef6.png

Not sure how much it matters now, as JacobP both confirmed the same issues and already attached a project file, but I tested it:

- with the Roland instrument and split regions (original situation)

- with the Roland instrument and a single joined region

- with the ES1 and split regions

- with the ES1 and single joined region

All scenarios had the same issue. Turning off chase for pitch bend "fixes" it, as does moving the final pitch bend event to later in the region.

So I guess the options are to send Apple a bug report, then either turn off chase or move the final pitch bend event to late enough in the region that it gets caught. Fortunately, on this song, the attack and filter envelope is slow enough that I can move the event without it noticeably affecting the sound.

Any other ideas though?