Increase attack on strings

logicProBigUser

If these are string notes, you can double those notes with "bounce in place" clips of the midi notes in question in the "marcatto" articulation. It's not as complicated as it may seem. You only need maintain an audio track for bounce in place audio clips that can be mixed in as desired. (I've found that the envelop parameters are very difficult to automate without special script patches).

If these are string notes, you can double those notes with "bounce in place" clips of the midi notes in question in the "marcatto" articulation. It's not as complicated as it may seem. You only need maintain an audio track for bounce in place audio clips that can be mixed in as desired. (I've found that the envelop parameters are very difficult to automate without special script patches).

Hey, thanks for that. I do not really get it though. I did not find "marcatto" in the available articulations for the "cellos" instrument.

I use only EastWest Strings . . . my string library of choice, because the samples are somehow processed to sound a little more lush and full. They're a little spendy, though. Garritan instruments sound authentic to me, and a lot less expensive. I didnlt like how the Sampler Strings sound,

I use only EastWest Strings . . . my string library of choice, because the samples are somehow processed to sound a little more lush and full. They're a little spendy, though. Garritan instruments sound authentic to me, and a lot less expensive. I didn't like how the Sampler Strings sound,

I too have the Diamond series from Eastwest. It's great.

But when I want that 'less than authentic' string sound clemson is right as well.

Authentic strings can lack a little in that aggressive staccato articulation you hear in some songs that are synth samples

(songs like

)

They sampled a real cellist but then altered the wave and made their own sampler instrument to cut the tune.

If you really need that aggressive sound you hear in many 'pop tunes' these days you could record the separate notes on a track, bounce to audio, then cut them up as you'd like.

Just my thoughts.

• 1 month later...

Another EastWest Hollywood Strings Diamond (mic options help a lot) user here, I like the Marcatto articulation for cello (or celli). I played string bass in symphony orchestras for 8 years so I’m very picky when it comes to orchestral plugins. None of them do everything well, most have their strengths. In my opinion the Spitfire orchestral plugins sound great, but there’s only one “great” (usually big) sound. Hollywood orchestral plugins are more “accurate” allowing you to change the sound (ambience, clarity, etc., especially if you have the mic options the Diamond version offers) for the scene.

Having said this, I’m currently deep-reinstalling (manually deleting files in addition to reinstalling the current Play V. 6.1.9) the EastWest Play plugin per their customer support due to random playback failures. A project with a single track MAY do two playbacks then the third one will quit after a few notes. I’ll update this after testing the reinstall, which looks like a day-long search-and-destroy process.

• 1 month later...
I don't have Quick Sampler either, I'm on Logic 4.6.

My reference was to "Sampler", not "Quick Sampler". BUT in any case, Sampler is the replacement plugin for the EXS Software Instrument. Since I no longer have that older version I can't say whether or not it contains a "Cello".

Mmmm, I just tried the "Sampler->Factory->Orchestral->Strings->Cellos Staccato" instrument and it's pretty much instant attack. Not sure what "built-in cellos" you're using. Have you tried the Sampler version?

Thanks for this.

I do not see this instrument on my end :

Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 18.04.50.png

Am I missing something?

Sampler was introduced in LPX 10.5.x I think. It replaces the EXS instrument. EXS may or may not have a Cello. I no longer have a version of EXS so I can't confirm.