recorded audio to a tempo map but want to change [SOLVED]

chrislukasik

Hey all,

I recorded a guitarist to a tempo map for a song. The tempo ( we thought ) was just fine but we would like to speed up and slow down a few parts. I told the guitarist that should be no problem as he recorded tight to my tempo line I created.

I thought just drag up or down the tempo line for the 2 parts would change the corresponding audio to that particular tempo section but not the case.

any ideas?

and to be more specific. The small section that was sped up in tempo using flextime was 2 guitar tracks. It starts clean and goes into distortion. The clean part does not add this phaser sound. when the pedal hits thats when the problem occurs.

... getting close.. i hope

To avoid phase issue you need to group the tracks and use select Phase-locked editing in the group parameters.

Now when I take it out of flex mode those changes will remain applied?

Don't take the track out of flex mode, just leave it in flex mode. Or you could bounce the track while in Flex mode to archive it as an audio file, but that's not necessary until archival.

phase issue is solved. Thanks again. I tried to bounce in Flex mode and bring back in the guitars to cut down on cpu. The bounced tracks did not align with my tempo map.

Reading as much as I can but cant seem to figure out why. I guess if a portion was sped up, the track is shorter now?

after flex time / grouped/ phase and playback within the project as a whole. It was all in time. solo, bounce, re-import and out of sync with the project tempo map.

I reverted back to the original save and brought in a bounced time flex track and pulled it in under the original it was bounced from. It is a bit shorter in length. I guess because it was sped up in a portion. So that is where its not able to follow the project tempo.

I suppose a workaround would be to group all tracks. Do my flex time edits and re-import into a new project. Just draw out the map to correspond. The other problem was there are a bunch of punch in guitar hits that fell out of alignment with the imported bounce.

now thinking bounce any tracks that dont start at 1 1 1 1 and re-import them so all tracks align. Then group everything. Flex Time mode. change the tempo where need be. solo and re-bounce everything out. Then bring back in and should be good to go. I guess the tempo map changes to compensate for the changed length in the affected tracks from flextime. This should work. take a while though.

maybe im doing things the hard way. But, no hair has been pulled out yet.

You're not, by any chance, using Bounce In Place are you? That's not going to work. Has to be a regular bounce. And re your last Q, try using the track mute buttons (not the ones on the channel strip) and mute everything you're NOT going to bounce. This will only work if you have the tracks set to CPU saving mode (prefs / audio / general / Track mute/Solo field).