creating environment LFO

hungrydave

After the initial amazement at the fact that someone made this... Unfortunately, it's not really working out for me.

It resets in cycle mode and has to be manually restarted. Same goes for just hitting stop and playing from the beginning. I'm trying to use it as an autopan, and every time i start the tune i have to go into environment and manually start the thing going. Apart from just being a pain, this means i can't bounce the track.

There's no 'depth' control. I don't necessarily want to sweep from hard left to hard right, i'm looking for something more subtle.

Atlas. I hear you, but there are plenty of applications that are more performance based where using automation is not preferable. For example would you want to draw automation for your rhodes tremolo every time?

Rainstick, you're talking my language. Maybe we can consider some ideas together as i'm new to logic and environments.

I did have an idea though. Some of the plug ins use their own sequencers, for example ultrabeat, which run independently to logics MIDI clock, but can also sync to it when it's running. So how about having a hi hat on 32's. This would generate some MIDI independently to logic (ie. it's running even in stop mode). Transformers could then be used to change that note info into controller data. If the sequencer had velocity options then you could draw a sine wave on the velocities and use the tempo for wave frequency (probably this could be done with transformers for better results).

I tried this last night, but unfortunately ultrabeat doesn't seem to send out any midi data from it's sequencer, it's just internally routed. Maybe there is a plug in that does?

In len sasso's midi LFO he managed to create all those options with environment tools and (i'm assuming) the only MIDI data it's all running from is the MIDI clock. So surely similar processes could be used with note information from a sequencer. Basically giving the same options, but without it being tied to the clock and whether logic is running or not.

Does my thought process make sense here?

hmmm... i think we might be on the same page dave but I don't really speak environment too much myself! I love that it's there, but i never really have the patience to spend hours working out what often seem fairly rudimentary effects. ( i wanted to play different channels through midi in a ES1 sidechain esque way recently that was way too convoluted)

Obviously i've made the classic "i don't really know what im on about buutttt.... " but there you are. its the internet!

In len sasso's midi LFO he managed to create all those options with environment tools and (i'm assuming) the only MIDI data it's all running from is the MIDI clock. So surely similar processes could be used with note information from a sequencer. Basically giving the same options, but without it being tied to the clock and whether logic is running or not.

Does my thought process make sense here?

sounds like your describing an arpegiator? As for creating LFO MIDI without the transport running, no dice from within Logic. MIDI needs a time base. If you want to be specific about a certain thing you want to achieve, that might be helpful. Perhaps the instrument your using has LFO capabilities you haven't tried.

As for auto panning, try the Tremolo plugin.

If you want to explore MIDI LFO'ing more extensively, consider some alternatives outside of Logic, like Numerrology or Max.

Fader 8

"As for creating LFO MIDI without the transport running, no dice from within Logic. MIDI needs a time base."

But like i said, some of the sequencers run independently of the 'time base', like ultrabeat.

So if note info can be independent of the time base.... Note info can be transformed into controllers.... controllers can be transformed and adapted... why is this not possible?

Ultrabeat uses its own internal sequencing which is not MIDI. It only becomes MIDI when you drag the sequence into the Arrange.

Are you trying to do something in live performance and you don't want the transport running? If you could be more specific about what you want to achieve, we could be more helpful.

Ultrabeat uses its own internal sequencing which is not MIDI. It only becomes MIDI when you drag the sequence into the Arrange.

ah

Are you trying to do something in live performance and you don't want the transport running? If you could be more specific about what you want to achieve, we could be more helpful.

Well, to some degree, i'm just playing around in the environment and finding problems to solve for the sake of figuring out what seems like a pretty awesome window.

Also, i'm trying to find an LFO solution that will allow me to assign it to any parameters in logic that i want. Preferably, i'd like it to be tempo locked but still run in stop mode. However, i don't mind it being linked to transport running, but i need it to work from pressing play (which the len sasso one doesn't) and also keep playing on cycle.

Thanks

Ok. Load up an arpegiator in the environment. Convert it's note output to controller values with a transformer. You will need to use "fader" messages to control plugin parameters. Remember that the messages channel number changes depending on which slot the plug is inserted.

Try doing something simple and ping back if you can't figure something out. I have to get ready for a gig this afternoon, so I can't help out today, but others can help. Feel free to attach your project to your post, too.