Drums & Korg MicroKontrol

Blackspade1650504359

Kia Ora from NZ!

Im a relative n00b to audio production and to Logic...

I purchased Logic pro about 3 months ago, and have been prodding/mucking about with it since.

My question is;

I have quite a few drum sample audio files (.wav/.aiff Snares & Kicks etc) that I wish to trigger using my Korg MicroKontrol, which has pressure sensitive pads at one end (ala MPC style)

Ideally I want to use the microKontrol like a drum machine to create/layer drum patterns (and adjust my timing etc, is quantization the correct term?)

Should I be using Ultrabeat or the EXS sampler to do this ?

Ive tried reading through mannuals and I think im even more confused than when I started!... here is my basic setup:

http://webdev1.otago.ac.nz/NT/audio_setup.jpg

..any help at all would be mucho's appreciated!!

You can use either or. The EXS24 is really made for that kind of use, as it is a typical sampler. It will let you map any sample anywhere on the keyboard and even let you easily map a sample to a range of keys, so you can have a few notes: if you have a snare mapped over 4 keys, you will have the possibility of having the original, one pitched up/down 1 semitones, another 2, and another 3. However, all your samples will share the same filter, lfo, enveloppe settings.

The Ultrabeat is more of drum machine that supports the use of samples. It will offer other options and will be more flexible as far as customizing each sound individually. Each sample will have its own enveloppes, lfos, filters... and you can layer your samples with synthetized drums... In Ultrabeat you can only map your samples to C1 to B2, C3 and above have only one sample (and it is typically used for a bass line).

If Ultrabeat is the route you chose to take, you can download my "SamplePlayer.pst" preset here: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=879

Edited by David Nahmani

wow thanks for super fast response david firstly..

does Ultrabeat need a specific audio format?, I havent had any luck using my own samples with it, it just doesnt seem to play or recognise them ?

I guess my next question is how then do I assign my .aiff sample, to a PAD on the MicroKontrol, rather than a Key using he EXS.. but perhaps this is the wrong forum to ask such a question ?

that ultra beat preset was easy, thanks for that!!

just stumbled accross this article re: the Pads on the Korg MicroKontrol...

"The pads are one of the main reasons anyone would consider this controller and are the center of much debate. I’ve never used an MPC, but from everything I hear about them, the microKontrol pads do not compare. The guy who sold me the controller would have kept it had the pads been more sensitive. That being said, the pads are still better than keys for inputting/playing percussion. Another microKontrol user has also mentioned that they get softer and more sensitive over time, so it may be possible to coax a broader velocity range out of them as time goes on."

http://www.djrx.com/index.php?id=30

shuld have read that first maybe :(

Haaaa.. don't worry about what you read on the internet. You've got a cool little tool, learn to use it, and make beautiful music with it. If you don't like it, sell it and get another one. If you make great music with it, then who cares.

And nothing prevents you from stopping at a guitar center and trying out an MPC or anything else and see how that works for you.

I met a Hip Hop producer who swore the Roland MV-8000 was much better than any MPC he'd ever used. Other producers say nothing beats an MPC60. Other yet use a simple keyboard to input their drum beats!

i have the korg kontrol 49 and im lovin it.....will have to try and set the pads up ;-)

hope i dont get a slap for double posting here but i am having problems getting my nod rack 2 to get pitch bend or mod wheel info from the korg in either native or normal mode ?! can anyone help on this?

Mo

http://www.virtualopenair.com/images/Openair_lab_web.gif