A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

plint merrick
Topic Author

"Point" to already downloaded Logic Sound Library on an external hard drive

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:25 am

I re-located my sound library from my laptops disc to an external hard drive. That was smooth and seamless and i used Logic that way for a while.

Recently I re-organized the drive that my Logic Sound Library is on and now Logic can't find the Sound Library. I want to "point" Logic to the new location on my external hard drive so that I don't have to download everything all over again but I'm unable to figure out how to do that.

I did re-download the essentials so that I could continue working on a project and I moved that to my ext. drive. But as soon as I move that folder somewhere new in the ext. drive Logic can't find it. I've been able to move the sound library folder in the past without it being affected so there must be something I'm not understanding.

So my questions are:
- Can you just "point" logic to the sound library if you know you have it?
- Once you do download and re-locate the sound library how do you move it and maintain Logics ability to find it?

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Re: "Point" to already downloaded Logic Sound Library on an external hard drive

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 am

Did you manually move the folder in the Finder where the sound library is installed?
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

plint merrick
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:31 am

No I used the "Relocate Sound Library" feature to move it to my external hard drive. I worked that way for a while but when I moved the folder within my external hard drive logic lost it's connection to the folder.

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:51 am

plint merrick wrote:
but when I moved the folder within my external hard drive

That's what I meant: You moved the folder manually, in the Finder?
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

plint merrick
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 am

Yes - once it was on the external hard drive I moved the folder a few times while reorganizing that drive.

robinloops

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:03 am

There may be a better way but I’d move it back where it was and then use the relocate sound library function to move it to the new location you want to use.
LPX 10.4.5; OS 10.14.5; iMac I5/2.9GHz, 16 GB RAM; SSD; Saffire Pro24: Scarlett 2i2; AxiomPro61
Misc: iControl; Denon MC600

triplets

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:06 am

Yeah, probably the safest is to use the relocate function again, and not do it by hand.
Also, don't rename the drive once you relocated the library. Another reason for Logic to not find it.
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro and X certified
ProTools 10 & 11 Certified Operator
2 x 3.06 Intel Six-Core 24 GB RAM, Logic 10.5.1, 10.14.6., UA Apollo
2012 i7 MBP 8 GB Logic 10.6.1, 10.15.7
Contact me for Logic help (Teamviewer, Zoom, Skype)
http://www.ultimatestudiosinc.com

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:15 pm

robinloops wrote:
There may be a better way but I’d move it back where it was and then use the relocate sound library function to move it to the new location you want to use.

Yes, exactly, that's how it should be done. Otherwise Logic has no way to tell where the folder is.
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

JEFFHARDY.PRO

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:32 pm

So I understand why you wouldn't move the Sound Library manually...I "relocated" my library (for my desktop computer) to an external drive as directed by Logic Pro Support in the Apple website. I would also like to use this same Library for my MacBook Pro. So the question about "pointing" to the external drive is the question I have. It would seem redundant and frustrating to have to "relocate" another library for laptop use. Is there a simple solution?

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:58 am

I don't think that's possible, unfortunately. :(
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

JEFFHARDY.PRO

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:04 am

David Nahmani wrote:
I don't think that's possible, unfortunately. :(

That's unfortunate and seems like an oversight by the LPX developers. I feel like there should be a hack...thanks for your reply, David.

helment

Re: "Point" to already downloaded Logic Sound Library on an external hard drive  Topic is solved

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:36 pm

I've encountered this problem myself and there is an easy workaround. Here's what you do:

(1) While Logic Pro is closed, find your existing Library folder that Logic doesn't want to recognize and rename it something else like "Library_backup". Then move it to a different folder than where you want the final library to live. This is important - don't forget this step. You don't want logic to know about your old library files just yet. It has to think you are starting over from scratch.

(2) Now open Logic Pro X. When it gives you the stink about wanting to download the library files all over again - uncheck all of the library parts except for the Reverb Presets. I found that this was the smallest single piece of the library you can install where Logic will leave you the hell alone. It was about a 1gb download. So I downloaded just that and let it install to the default library location.

(3) Now go to the main Logic Pro X menu at the top > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library. Tell it to move whatever was just installed to wherever you want your final library to live... After it's done installing, make sure to *close* Logic Pro X completely. Otherwise the next couple steps won't work.

(4) Now go back to the location of your library backup and rename "Library_backup" back to just "Library".

(5) Copy/move the large backed up Library to the same location you just moved the newly installed smaller library to - the same location you want the full library to live. When it asks you to replace, simply replace it; overwriting anything that was there before.

Voila - your original sound library is intact in the place you want it where it was before and upon opening Logic, all sounds and instruments are properly detected.

It seems like a lot of steps but I just did this myself and it took only a few minutes.

JEFFHARDY.PRO

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I did think this process might work but opted to partition a drive with required libraries for each install—one for main iMac workstation and one for my MacBook Pro. I do appreciate the effort!

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 pm

helment wrote:
I've encountered this problem myself and there is an easy workaround.

Genius. Hahaha. So simple. Thanks for sharing! Like all good thinking, it sounds very simple once someone has thought of it first. Thanks a lot for sharing. :D
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

Mark R

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:04 pm

helment wrote:
I've encountered this problem myself and there is an easy workaround.

Thanks Helment, Just tried your solution above and it works! :D
That might possibly be the best first post ever here! Should the solution above become a "Sticky"?

Here is a short version of what your instructions accomplish.
First rename and hide the large logic sound "Library" folder on your external drive.
On your 2nd computer let logic download a tiny chunk of the "Library" to your system drive,
then tell Logic to move it to your external drive, quit Logic and replace tiny "Library" with your large one.

I also tried the inevitable - opening Logic without the external drive connected.
You will get a "... Library could not be found" message with 3 options. Just don't press the 'Reset' option unless you want to reset where logic is looking for its Library (back to the default location).

Thank you.
Logic 10.5.1 | Mojave | retina iMac 4GHz i7 32GB
Logic 10.4.8 | High Sierra | MacMini 2.3GHz, i7 16GB

Teejay2112

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks a million. Worked like a charm. Much kudos to you!!

madk0w

Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 am

It worked for me as well, I have access to my Library, but funny enough, when I go to the Library Manager, it still thinks that I need to download all my libraries and mark them all as "not installed" !!?? (My Logic is in French so I don't know exactly how it is flagged in English ("not installed" or "not downloaded", but you see my point!)!

So did you manage to make it see that the libraries were installed or you see the same behaviour in Library Manager ??

Thanks

Mark R

Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm

Good point madk0w, same behavior here.

I just checked on my laptop that had only downloaded the "Essential sound and instruments". In the Library Manager it still shows that only that portion is installed. Yet the entire content is working on this laptop. This laptop possibly never stored "receipts", acknowledging that it had downloaded the packages.

Someone could try the test below to see what happens. I'm chicken to try it because everything is working so well on both macs.

Edit: Don't bother with the following test, madk0w found that it doesn't work.

Check box one of the "uninstalled" library packages and click Install. Logic might then see that this library package is actually installed and quickly update its status to Installed without having to download anything.

If that works then proceed to Check box all the other packages. What might possibly happen is that legitimate receipts from apple might be then be bestowed on your computer.

Pure conjecture this. Anyone volunteer to test or even remember where apple puts these "receipts"? I would test, but I have slow internet here. :)

Edit: Further notes - madk0w reports in the next post that the above does not work.
- So at this point a simple solution is to only download new content to your master "Library" external drive using only the original computer that actually downloaded the library content. On all other computers you have set up to share this drive, ignore their Library Managers.
Last edited by Mark R on Sun May 24, 2020 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Logic 10.5.1 | Mojave | retina iMac 4GHz i7 32GB
Logic 10.4.8 | High Sierra | MacMini 2.3GHz, i7 16GB

madk0w

Tue May 05, 2020 2:35 pm

@Mark R
Well I tried your suggestion, and unfortunately, for me it re-downloaded the whole 17GIG of sounds !!!

I wonder which plist file of my old installation contains the "receipts... it could be easier to simply copy that file!!