A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

David Nahmani
Site Admin
Topic Author

Gregory Scott adds movement to drums with compression

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:41 am

Gregory Scott, owner of Kush Audio, designer of both analog hardware and digital software compressors, shows how to dial a compressor to make drums more musical. A fascinating, ear opening experience. Greg first exaggerates the settings while pointing out what we should be listening for, making it easy for anyone to hear how the compressor's attack and release time affect a drum recording, the perception of transients, punch, texture, mellowness, clarity, pop, pumping, growl, darkness, smoothness, color ... and finally how he uses compression to bring the desired emotional quality to the drums.

Not exactly a Logic Pro video per se, since he's only showing a compression plug-in, but a worthy exception to be added here.

David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

Danny Wyatt

Re: Gregory Scott adds movement to drums with compression

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:49 am

I found out about him a few months ago and I just love his videos. The way he brings a completely different perspective on things compared to what is usually taught on YouTube by the so called "gurus". Most teach the same thing as others did, it's just a different face.

Gregory always brings something new to the table, even if it's "only" how you can approach that same technique or equipment. And of course, his character helps a lot. Good to see that you also approve his content!
• Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4
• MacBook Pro mid 2010 • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

-----------------------------------------
Danny Wyatt (formerly known as 3ple) - Musician and Music Producer
http://www.iamdannywyatt.com (links to all my social media included)