Easy MIDI Control Question from an idiot

povich
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I recently figured out how to use the mod wheel on my MIDI keyboard to control velocity while recording software instruments. I remember being really happy I finally figured it out.

The only trouble is, now that I'd like to switch back to the original setting (where velocity is controlled the old-fashioned way by how hard you strike the key) I cannot for the life of me remember how I changed the setting in the first place (checked my browser history for relevant webpages or YouTube videos, but none made it clear how I accomplished it in the first place). Obvious places like MIDI preferences and control surfaces don't suggest anything obvious.

Anyone willing to help a forgetful idiot? I'd be really grateful.

Thanks folks. I definitely accomplished this by making some sort of adjustment in Logic itself (but in case it helps I'm using an Evolution Mk-361(2)).

I did see your helpful post David, but neither my memory nor my downloads folder suggests I used that method. I think I remember using a 'learn' button at some point to assign velocity to the mod wheel, if that helps.

I think I remember using a 'learn' button at some point to assign velocity to the mod wheel, if that helps.

Are you sure you're thinking of velocity, not volume or something else? Velocity is an attribute of the "Note" event, it's not something that can be "learned" as a controller. Try choosing Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces and see if the behavior changes.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I just tried that and it didn't change anything.

You might be right about me being confused about whether it's 'velocity' or 'volume'. What I know for sure is that when I press a key on my MIDI controller, how loud the note is depends on the position of the mod wheel. And if I put the mod wheel to max then every note is the same volume (e.g. when I record something with the wheel at max, every note I play comes out at the max velocity of 127 in the piano roll).

If you have MIDI Activity enabled in the upper display(you need to have Custom enabled to see that), just move your mod wheel and check what controller number it displays when you move the mod wheel. It most probably is CC#7 or 11, as David says you can’t alter velocity with a controller such as a mod wheel. If it’s any other CC# it means your synth’s volume is programmed to be controlled by that CC# in some way.

Or your synth’s volume/module is programmed to be control by CC#1, which is the usual CC# a mod wheel sends. Looking at the display will give you a hint at where to look for for a solution.

Blink

Thanks guys - I appreciate you sticking with me. I guess this problem is harder to figure out than I expected.

The problem affects every software instrument I load - it's not specific to any patch or project.

The problem appears even in a new, empty project.

Per Blink's suggestion I switched my display to custom and enabled MIDI activity. When I press a key on the MIDI keyboard I get the following row of info:

A note icon (a quarter note)

The number 1

The note I'm playing (e.g. D3)

The velocity (e.g. 127 when the wheel is at max)

When I move the mod wheel, the velocity number changes. Halfway down and the number is about 50-60 (for every note) and the note is correspondingly much quieter. I can make that number (and the volume) go up and down as I play by adjusting the wheel.

It's starting to sound like I've accomplished something that should be impossible...?

Hey - just looking through the menus again and one of them looks familiar. Do you think there's a chance I used "Automation Quick Access" (Preferences>Automation)? It has a 'learn message' button that might be the one I remembered previously.

Probably nothing because it's currently turned off, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

• Solution
Hey - just looking through the menus again and one of them looks familiar. Do you think there's a chance I used "Automation Quick Access" (Preferences>Automation)?

No, what you're experiencing has no relationship with automation.

It appears you've set up your MIDI controller to behave that way.

That's it! And as I suspected, I'm an idiot. I am so used to changing everything within logic itself it didn't occur to me that my MIDI keyboard could have programmed settings that would stick between uses (it's USB powered, so I didn't think it had the ability to remember things). But apparently it does.

I just needed to reassign the mod wheel from velocity (132) to modulation depth (001) and the problem vanished.

Thank you for tolerating my stupidity! And sincere apologies for sending you down a dead end.