Control Surface Problem - Yamaha AW16G

maninthedark30

Hello all,

I'm having some serious issues with getting my Yamaha AW16G to 'learn' fader/button changes in Logic Pro 8.

It's not one of the specific controllers in Logic's list, but the way I understand it you can use anything that transmits MIDI messages. Please correct me if I am wrong!

After several hours and a couple Logic crashes, all I can get it to do is allow me to assign (through easy view) volume and solo and/or mute functions for the SELECTED track only. However, it recognizes these changes from any of the 12 faders on my AW1G. And in the transport bar it shows that it's receiving message from individual fader #'s, but it only operates the selected track (in mixer view). The transport controls do not work at all.

So I was HOPING that I could get my G to learn whatever Logic functions I wanted to teach it for every button I have available, but at LEAST would like to have it control faders, transport, and possibly mute/solo/pan operations.

Oh, btw, I know sh*t about MIDI, which is where most of my problem lies, I'm sure... and also, I've read through over and over again the sections in the control surface support manual, as well as all the sections in the G manual about this, and have installed the settings file for Logic on the CD-rom that came with it, but these are for Logic 5 or something LOL so I doubt that will do anything. It's just a list of key commands, which I imported and it didn't seem to change anything.

Extreme thanks in advance for any help someone might be able to give! Oh, and I just got Logic Studio this week, and a copy of David's book is on the way...

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I stumbled upon your post out of the same problem you encountered.

I also own an AW16G which I would like to use with logic Pro 8 as control surface,I'm afraid I encountered the very same problems you did,though,I have to say,I managed to have tha PLAY button function (unintentionally).

The old driver,the one bundled with the AW is of no use,and there seems to be no new driver available since Logic became exclusively Apple.I may be wrong,anyway.

I do believe that,as long as it's midi,you can assign Logic functions to an external controller even if unsupported,it's just that I can't figure out how.

Have you worked your way round this matter since your post?

Does anyone know how succeed in this task ? (following Logic's control surface instructions didn't help me)

Thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

[/b]

Your AW has been discontinued and now you have to make it work the hard way (as a controller).

I have many devices laying around that I could manually plug in and program to control Logic. In reality, it isn't worth the time or effort for what I will end up using them for.

In all seriousness, I would recommend selling your AW and look into more updated controllers.

Some examples would be the Frontiers Tranzport, or the Novation Remote zero SL. Units like this are set up for Logic (and other software) and save all kind of time making it easier for you to concentrate on your work.

Programming the control surface is becoming a thing of the past.

:?

Thank you very much for your answer.

I previously cast my eyes on the Tranzport,it's on my list;

it's only a shame I cannot make ends meet with the AWG16,since it's a quality piece of equipment and I'm afraid I could end up selling it for nuts.

Anyway,I reckon I could save precious time.

Thanks again

cheers

I have the Tranzport and it serves my purpose, especially being wireless.

However, I want the D-control worksurface http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=16&langid=100&categoryid=28

Ha! ha! yea right. Since I can't afford it or justify it existing in my home studio, I was looking at the Novation ReMOTE ZeRO SL. It is auto mapped and would suit my wants.

I have set up the control commands to operate almost every assignable parameter in Logic using only one slider and the click of the mouse. It can be done, but is time consuming. I guess I have reached the point and am tired of 'riverdancing' and searching my notes to kill productivity. Technology is affording most home studio users the luxury of obtaining scaled down versions of the toys we can only dream of having.

I am producing simple recordings with simple parts and production so I really don't need to overcomplicate the process. My most efficient tool right now is the key command(s) for drop in/out and return to last play position (on the mac keyboard).

• 2 months later...
I have the Tranzport and it serves my purpose, especially being wireless.

Hello. I noticed you own a TranzPort and I wonder (sorry for changing the subject a bit but the original subject seems finished so...) if you have problems loosing the contact with TranzPort whenever something is changed in the midi device setup, like if a device is not connected or not powered up.

I have this every time something is changed, but the main problem is that reconnecting to the original setup doesn't help. I need to trash the control surface preferences in Logic to get Logic to "find" the tranzPort again.

I'm on Logic 8.0.1 by the way.